• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Red Dragon (Definitive Cut)

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

The theatrical cut of Red Dragon didn’t leave much to the imagination and its direction might be best described by Hannibal himself: it “fumbles at your head like a freshman pulling at a panty girdle.”
This cut rearranges the scene order to tell a thought provoking, subtle, compelling story. The result is more of a slow burn-- with gradually escalating conflict (and a little less Hannibal).

Change List:
(SPOILERS ABOUND)

1. Complete color regrade to address scenes with hyperblues, blown-out highlights, the white point set to glowing blue, and other issues. The look now leans more natural.
2. VFX to make Hannibal look a bit younger and fitter throughout to better match his appearance in Silence of the Lambs.
3. Removed Hannibal's roughly 10 minute intro showing his pre-incarceration dining activities, fancy ponytail, and how he was apprehended by Will. Now there is more initial mystery in Will's connection to Hannibal that we learn about over time.
4. For the opening credits newspaper/scrapbook montage, replaced the in your face (and on the nose) scoring with some vintage music from the 1940’s (something Francis’ grandmother might have played). Now it has a more relaxed, confident vibe.
5. Removed the overt opening grandmother/teeth visual and most of the photos of Will.
6. Added in new disturbing/artistic visuals for the opening credits to shift the heavy handed focus from Will over to a more subtle focus on themes about The Red Dragon. We also see a hand caressing a newspaper photo of Hannibal.
7. Less filler and expository in the first conversation between Will and Crawford pre-establishing Will as “imaginative.”
8. The first time we see Francis is the darkroom scene at Chromalux, and it's moved significantly earlier to just after Will briefs the FBI team; Francis is now initially shown as just a quiet, awkward man.
9. Other scenes with Francis (acting relatively normal) also happen sooner now.
10. Fans of the Deftones might appreciate scoring added while Francis watches Reba in the rain from his van.
11. In the meeting with Will, Hannibal does not say he has “oodles” of time. Hannibal does not need to be cute and relatable.
12. While Will is watching the home video of the Leeds, we cut to Francis arriving home where he begins watching the home video of another family, a definitive but more subtle confirmation he is the killer.
13. In the tree, removed Will’s comment about the Red Dragon symbol carved into the bark.
14. Cut Francis putting red marker across Freddy’s face on the newspaper clipping. We don’t need this hint.
15. Trimmed and rearranged Will meeting with Hannibal on his weekly “walk” in chains. Now Hannibal does his lunge move right away when he first approaches Will, and the scare is much more effective.
16. Hannibal says the carved symbol is the Red Dragon without Will saying it first.
17. Cut Hannibal’s contrived malarkey about Will controlling his fear.
18. Cut the clumsy exchange about Hannibal wanting to view the Leeds family videos.
19. When Hannibal’s message to Francis is decoded, we first hear what it says from Crawford.
20. Added missing muzzle flashes to Molly’s target practice scene.
21. Moved the Francis workout scene to later, right after he kidnaps Freddy the reporter. This very first glimpse of Francis in the theatrical cut had very quickly established him as severely disturbed, which I wanted to avoid happening too early on. Cut this way it now heightens the tension of the captive reporter scene.
22. Francis does not tell Freddy, “you owe me awe.” Sounds too much like “all” with those dentures and the effect is lackluster. Instead Francis gets close up and intimidating. Added SFX.
23. Moved the most horrific flashback dialogue from good old Grandma so that Francis is in bed dreaming about her abuse now, prompting him to put the shotgun in his mouth. Saving this revelation for the end is important for building up to Francis’ dramatic action here.
24. Blood VFX added when Francis clubs the librarian; cut her dropping to the floor.
25. The art eating scene ends as Francis is still munching on the paper. Cut the other woman entering the room and Francis leaving.
26. Added some camera/ color VFX and SFX for dramatic impact to depict Francis’ transformation as he eats the artwork.
27. Trimmed end of conversation on plane discussing Francis’ adventure at the museum.
28. Trimmed down Will’s prolonged joke about Reba’s hair.
29. No more unnecessary ending teaser for Silence of the Lambs.
30. New end credits music, a classical rendition of the Deftones.

Last edited:
Love this approach! This is a movie I had considered tackling myself one day, deciding against it out of fear that I wouldn't be able to make it exciting enough. I have always found it to be strangely lifeless and flat (much unlike Lambs and much unlike Manhunter) despite the interesting plot and great cast (half of them miscast anyway). That's what you get when you put a hack like Ratner at the helm. But your restructuring seems very intriguing. Will be looking forward to it!

Yeah, I've had the same issues - bland directing (I even read that Ed Norton was constantly irritated by Ratner's poor skills on the set) and you can feel it. Older Hopkins (sometimes acting like a cartoon character) and bluesish re-grading were also a bit off-putting for me.

It's amazing how you managed to face ALL the issues that I had and even more. Similarly to @Dwight Fry, I was also afraid that my version would just fix some things but wouldn't make it an interesting edit. NOW your work sounds like a well-thought, more subtle and intelligent movie than what Ratner did. I already know your version will be my ULTIMATE version if I feel like re-watching Hannibal's saga ;).

Any plans for The Silence of the Lambs and TV Show? Greets!

I have always found it to be strangely lifeless and flat
Yes the theatrical cut of Red Dragon showed all of its cards way too early. Certain scenes being too far apart made Dolarhyde's activities lack enough motivation like we were watching random moments from a serial killer's life. In the screenplay/novel there was really no visceral imminent threat either (like the kidnapped daughter in Silence of the Lambs). The end result was just a little... boring. But a few of the acting performances in Red Dragon, especially Reba when she flees the burning house, and Molly when she sobs after the shooting, are so outstanding and unlike anything in Silence of the Lambs.

Last edited:
Any plans for The Silence of the Lambs and TV Show
Silence is a near perfect movie. The only thing that really "needs" to be fixed is Buffalo Bill using the night vision goggles outdoors (it was light enough out and made no sense). This was a clumsy set up by the filmmakers so we weren't confused when he used them later on in the house. But we are not dumb and wouldn't have been confused.

I have seen a lot of high praise for the TV series. I tried Season 1 Episode 1 a long time ago and was not impressed with the first 10 minutes. The setup and characters were poorly done IMO. The actors playing Hannibal and Graham each cannot carry a show, and together they do not exceed the sum of their parts.

I have seen a lot of high praise for the TV series. I tried Season 1 Episode 1 a long time ago and was not impressed with the first 10 minutes. The setup and characters were poorly done IMO. The actors playing Hannibal and Graham each cannot carry a show, and together they do not exceed the sum of their parts.
My friend, you should definitely catch up on it. Maybe it doesn't start on the highest note, but it's gradually becoming better and better. A lot of great dialog lines and scenes from the books are nicely reinterpreted in the show. And the visual arts are astonishing. Chemistry between Hannibal and Graham is also hypnotizing.

Season 2 is better than Season 1 in terms of story - give it a try and just be patient with the first episodes and you'll enjoy the show ;).

Absolutely one of the best TV to movie edits. Period. Very good work.

Hannibal by Maniac and Zagadka. Another awesome one is The Mercedes Killer.

This cut is being added to IFDB. Version 2 will be posted shortly in the next few days, once IFDB submission is completed. The old version 1 is no longer being made available, so just standby for version 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom