• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

RED APPLE CREW SEASON 1: THE TARANTINO TALES

It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

It's about to go down

ok then, how?
and why?
;)
...So your "HOW" was not answered....

@It'sOnRandom had the initial idea and was working with @Dawnrazor ; they asked me if I would do a few of the Tarantino episodes.... bandwidth meant I could really only do one and I chose The Hateful Eight...

I asked @ArtisDead if he would be interested, and he said yes....He then began suggesting several more editors to join and it grew organically from there. He came up with the artwork, a positioning strategy, a collaborative review system and more.

Then, despite limited bandwidth on my end, I found that the sheer joy of this huge collaboration led to many more multiple inputs from myself and others in so many ways that are too numerous to list. Each episode has a lead fan editor, but ALL RED APPLE CREW contributed to every episode in some manner.

HOWEVER, from tomorrow, we shall each drop in a short "WHAT WE DID" in regards to each episode while NOT spoiling any of them for you.

If you think you know these movies...think again is all I'll say for now.

See ya'll tomorrow folks as we each start revealing who did which Episode and what (ish) !

All of the editors that we chose (with exception of a few of us) were newer editors that had displayed an eye for detail and desire for quality while we mentored them on their first approved edit. They all exhibited a dedication to quality on all subsequent edits, as well.

We decided that this idea that @It'sOnRandom had come up with could be taken to a much higher level and become a showcase for these new editors to display their art and be a part of a much bigger project. An experiment, if you will.

The real payoff came when we started individual project threads for each edit. Everyone started collaborating and giving each other advice, and really became a crew. Although, there is a lead editor for each edit, everyone has had a major amount of input regarding every edit. Collectively, we are the editor Red Apple Crew

@Wraith is the creative genius who pulled this project together. If he didn't completely blow your mind with the duology of Split Unbreakable Glass and Unbreakable Glass Split...wait until you see this!

@INIGHTMARES, another creative genius, kept it all together, spending hours and hours organizing projects and assets and keeping all of the edits, versions and reviewers coordinated. It's mind boggling.

@krausfadr yet another creative genius, shared his technical expertise and has helped us see things that we didn't see and utilize the best methods to get from point "a" to point "b" in the most efficient manner.

Red Apple Crew is a collaboration for certain; to the degree that we were all able to keep this project secret for several months until we were ready to unveil it. However, a few of the crew really lit the path. I'm humbled to be a part.

EPISODE 8 – THE HATEFUL EIGHT
LEAD FAN EDITOR – WRAITH

Condensing The Hateful Eight to 60 mins was not the main impulse for me.
Sure, there was a target to hit, but I wanted to achieve a few things to make it interesting viewing EVEN if you know the material very well.
  • I removed all contemporary music/songs
  • I altered certain plot points and motivations/outcomes
  • I fixed two AWFULL music fade-ins in the original material
  • Added/Extended a few more Ennio Morricone cues and few surprises
  • Retained some material from the extended Roadshow version
  • Removed an “irremovable” element
  • But above all, wanted it to still “FEEL” like the same movie
BIGGEST CHALLENGE
Maintaining protagonist positioning/continuity despite edits

TOUGHEST DECISION
Dropping my original 2 min opening after two weeks effort, coz it just did not work

GREATEST JOY
Playing with the music and The Crew

I can honestly say, that without the rest of The Red Apple Crew’s input and support, this would have been a lesser outcome for me.

Thanks Gang
Happy to field any Q?

Next up...
@futon88

EPISODE 3 – JACKIE BROWN
LEAD FAN EDITOR – futon88

My goal with Jackie Brown was to tell the core story in a tighter way, with fewer tangents and dead ends. At the same time, I wanted to pretend I was telling this story to an audience that's unfamiliar with the source material. In terms of narrative structure, the story is 90% linear, with the remaining 10% told in a non-chronological way. Think about the story being folded back on itself with some light zippering, if that makes sense...

I also wanted to experiment more with music replacement, and this was a perfect vehicle for that. Here's a summary of those changes:
  1. Seven or eight songs completely removed by virtue of their scene not being included in my cut.
  2. One song repurposed and applied to a completely different scene.
  3. Four songs kept exactly where they are.
  4. Fourteen newly added songs, all Bjork.
BIGGEST CHALLENGE

Telling the story in a way that allows everyone to follow the ball as it moves about, while trying to keep it fast and fresh. Like Pulp Fiction, this is a movie where characters are sitting and talking 95% of the time. The action, when it happens, is mundane but dependent on exquisite tension. While I can't ensure folks will feel the right amount of tension (having foreknowledge of the story), my hope is the additional music and trimming will keep it interesting.

TOUGHEST DECISION

Leaving one character completely devoid of backstory and development in service of keeping things under 60mins.

GREATEST JOY

I'll echo Wraith's comment about enjoying the collaborative aspects, but I also found myself just really enjoying the results, and watching those same scenes over, and over, and over again. You'd think it would be tedious, but it wears a pleasing groove in your mind. Just a steady drip of dopamine every time, especially when the (new) music lines up just so...Those extreme closeups of Forster. Those perfect looks from SLJ. Somehow I laugh every time even though I know it's coming.

"Right here in mah Rapta' bag..."

Next up...
@krausfadr

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, though. I did add fourteen new songs, but they should all sound like a natural fit for the movie.

Let's see, we've got some The Delphonics, Randy Crawford, The Delphonics, The Temptations, The Delphonics, Earth Wind & Fire, The Delphonics, Depeche Mode, The Delphonics, Bill Withers, and some The Delphonics.

Seriously, though. I did add fourteen new songs, but they should all sound like a natural fit for the movie.

Let's see, we've got some The Delphonics, Randy Crawford, The Delphonics, The Temptations, The Delphonics, Earth Wind & Fire, The Delphonics, Depeche Mode, The Delphonics, Bill Withers, and some The Delphonics.
Shame you didn’t have the spark to add anything by The Delphonics…

Back
Top Bottom