• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ReCut Podcast - PILOT EPISODE AVAILABLE NOW

I enjoyed that (and I agree: Milkman Conspiracy's Anchorman 2 cut is excellent btw).

My main comment really is audio quality. As the host, I would recommend you get yourself a decent mic and interface. you don't need to splash out to get something that will sound better than a laptop mic (not sure what your using, but that's how it came across). You'll have less control over what guests can use, but if they have the means I would encourage them to use similar gear. It just makes words clearer and a polished sound is more pleasant to listen to. Also, for what is just recorded on a laptop mic or similar, some basic compression will help an even volume and EQ will help some of the tinny frequencies that come through.

Yeah I recorded using my laptop but I picked up a proper podcasting mic which arrived yesterday

I didn't have a lot of time, so I quickly listened to a minute or so and the audio was definitely a bit low quality. Part of the issue will of course be who has microphones and who is using the internal computer ones.

I had a buddy that recorded his podcast using Zoom and there is also Google Meet if you want to also have video or an unedited cut of the interviews. Food for thought. I'm super looking forward to our conversation!

I do appreciate you making efforts to trim your podcast down to a reasonable length, but I think you could have included a little bit more without it feeling too long. For me, 45-60 minutes is typically a good length, but that's personal preference, and obviously there's no reason to stretch out the material if you don't feel it's worth sharing.

To add to other people's comments on audio quality, I'm glad you got a better mic for future use. I could understand you, but there was definitely room for improvement. Another thing that can help is making sure both people record their side of the conversation, then then replace your streamed copy of their side with their local copy. I would assume anybody you'll be interviewing is tech-savvy enough to be able to do that.

Another thing that can help is making sure both people record their side of the conversation

That is the process we are using.

Re: You know what, I cut a lot of good content in the attempt to adhere to a digestible length. Our chat definitely rambled on. I have 40 more minutes about the Matrix, Star Wars and various Spider-Man edits. I absolutely intend to chat with @Bobson Dugnutt again as we certainly didn't cover everything and our time zones line up nicely.

One idea is that I do the episodes a sort of digest version and upload a raw version too for though who wantnte warts and all conversation.

Alternatively if people want the proper episode to be longer they can be.

Re: Mic. I'm now waiting for my second new mic as the original one was defective. It'll arrive tomorrow in time for my next interview.

I think you can make a call on length depending on how the convo goes and what gets covered. I don't think it matters to have a 25 minute episode followed by an hour long episode. The important thing is the content.

That's
I think you can make a call on length depending on how the convo goes and what gets covered.

That's fair. I was looking at 25 minutes after a suggestion from @lapis molari and for the pilot it was certainly less committment for all involved to listen to and feedback.

What's the general consensus? Irregular length episodes or consistent ones?

If consistent, what is your preferred duration?

I am up for director cut's of the episodes :) . I could listen to this stuff all day.

...i was nodding my head in solidarity regarding your/Bobson's inability to watch a new film without your editing hat on :) These days i can only watch my favourite films, the one's i have seen numerous times in peace.

Re: You know what, I cut a lot of good content in the attempt to adhere to a digestible length. Our chat definitely rambled on. I have 40 more minutes about the Matrix, Star Wars and various Spider-Man edits. I absolutely intend to chat with @Bobson Dugnutt again as we certainly didn't cover everything and our time zones line up nicely.

One idea is that I do the episodes a sort of digest version and upload a raw version too for though who wantnte warts and all conversation.

Alternatively if people want the proper episode to be longer they can be.

I'm absolutely more than happy to come back any day of the week and continue to ramble about Star Wars, Spider-Man and anything inbetween!
Considering that we talked a lot of deleted scenes and extended cuts, I'm happy for the uncut hour and 10-ish minutes to be out there. I do enjoy a long podcast and don't mind them being as long as 2-ish hours, as I have listened to shows that run that long.

I think an inconsistent time is fine. I could listen for hours. I did think the Bobson interview seemed short though. It seemed like you were having great conversation then it was just over. I think maybe interviews with some editors could be shorter, editors with only a few edits, but then editors like Bobson, who have many many edits, they could go on for hours.

Thanks @Bobson Dugnutt for the kind shout out! I often wonder if I'm overly hard during the review process and was happy to hear the feedback was helpful and welcomed :)

You two have way better podcast voices and presence than I do. You sound like confident put together chaps. I just sound like a spacey tangental nerd 😅

I enjoyed it. Was nice to hear you two talking shop about something we’re all steeped in but doesn’t usually have a place to physically talk about and hear about.
I don’t think it overstayed its welcome, and it felt about the right length for that conversation to play out.

I listened on my IPHONE in the doctor's office while I was in the middle of a procedure. I had no problem with any of the audio and thoroughly enjoyed hearing a more personal side of both of you. The length could have been longer and I still would have enjoyed it. I felt like the three of us were in a room and I was mute.

spacey tangental nerd 😅

I think you found your new band name...

Re: Review Process etc

I have found you (and all of the staff here at Fanedit.org) to be nothing but supportive and professional. There should be no confusion, you are firm and adhere to high standards but that is what enables this site and it's community members to flourish.

I thought the first episode was great! I liked the length too, 30 min is an easy commitment for a listener. 45 min would probably be fine too.

Check out Zencastr to record all participants online. They give you separate, synced, mp3 files plus an integrated one with noise reduction. They have a free "hobbyist" option. I've used them and been surprised how good their audio quality is.

For microphone, the one built into you wired/bluetooth earphones is probably preferable over the one built into your computer for the simple reason of proximity to your mouth while being farther from your keyboard. I've heard too many podcasts where keyboard strokes are audible.

To minimize the feeling of an abrupt ending, you can / should steer the conversation explicitly to a conclusion. You're the host, you're in charge.

If you like, I'd be happy to edit one of your episodes. I used to for a friend and typically got 45-minute conversations down to 25-minute podcasts without losing any "meat" of the story. Good time-savers are to remove most "uhm"s, and participants restarting sentences.

Enjoyed the chat with @Bobson Dugnutt . The audio could be better, but it's really no deal breaker for me - and hey, I'm sure you will improve on this as you go. As for a length... I'm with others here. I think it just depends on how the chat goes... if it was me, I would probably let them out "uncut", as I love long podcasts or interviews.

Anyway, good stuff, and I'm looking forward to hearing more episodes!!

Back
Top Bottom