• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Recommendations for refurbished computer for video editing?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My HP Compaq Pro 6305 desktop computer (which I bought refurbished for $140) has been going strong for about four years, but it's not exactly powerful. It would overheat if I were to allow the processor to run at its full capacity, and it can't even preview edits in Vegas properly, because it isn't powerful enough to play the video preview without freezing. I'm thinking that it may be time to look for something better. I always buy refurbished, as that's the best way to get the most bang for my buck.

Here are the specifications of what I need:
  • I'm looking for a desktop computer on its own (no monitor - I plan to get that separately).
  • It must have Windows 10.
  • I'm on a limited budget, so I don't want anything over $400 (ideally, not over $300).
  • Hard drive space doesn't matter, as I plan to replace the hard drive. I also plan on putting in my own Blu-ray burner, so the disk drive doesn't matter either.
  • I'm mainly looking for something with a powerful enough processor, graphics, etc, to edit 1080p Blu-ray video with ease. It would be nice if it was powerful enough to play (and maybe even edit) 4K video as well, but that would just be a bonus, and I'm not sure if that's possible in my price range.

You can probably get a 4th or 5th gen i7 quad-core with 16-32gb ram at that price point. You'd need to buy it used, but I see stuff like that on OfferUp at a reasonable rate

Are you dead set on refurbished? You can probably go a generation or two higher with used. Do you want/need a graphics card?

DigModiFicaTion said:
Are you dead set on refurbished? You can probably go a generation or two higher with used.

I'm wary of buying used, because used computers usually don't come with a warranty, and there's no knowing what problems there might be with one due to how the previous owner used it (for example, there could be undetected system corruption from crashes).

Refurbished computers can sometimes have issues as well, but they usually come with a clean install of Windows and a 6-month to 1-year warranty. I've had a warranty come in handy before (the computer that I have now is a free warranty replacement for the faulty one that I had received first, which had started crashing repeatedly after I'd had it for a few months).

If I could buy a used computer that came with a warranty and was a big enough improvement over any refurbished ones in the same price range, I'd maybe consider it.

Do you want/need a graphics card?

I would like to have one if possible. I've only ever had computers with integrated graphics, and my experience is that the graphics seem underpowered and often sluggish when trying to do anything intensive like video editing. That said, I don't know for certain whether that's due to them being integrated.

I'm in a similar boat, and I'm not keen on used for similar reasons. I'd be amazed if you could get that for your budget though. Maybe the price point is different in the US, but I haven't been able to find something for under £1000 that seems suitable.

I've decided on a Dell OptiPlex 9020 with an i7-4790 CPU, and ordered it. Now I'm on the hunt for a good monitor.

hbenthow said:
I've decided on a Dell OptiPlex 9020 with an i7-4790 CPU, and ordered it. Now I'm on the hunt for a good monitor.

How much are you looking to spend? I'd say just get yourself a 40" or larger LCD TV. They're a tad bit more new, and if you're feeling adventurous you can get one for probably less than $100 used. I know you mentioned your not into that risk, but all of my computers and my TV have been used and going strong *knock on wood*.

DigModiFicaTion said:
hbenthow said:

How much are you looking to spend? I'd say just get yourself a 40" or larger LCD TV. They're a tad bit more new, and if you're feeling adventurous you can get one for probably less than $100 used. I know you mentioned your not into that risk, but all of my computers and my TV have been used and going strong *knock on wood*.

I posted the information about what I'm looking for in a thread that can be found by clicking the phrase "good monitor" in my post above, but I'll quote it here:

hbenthow said:
I've ordered a new computer, and want to order a monitor to go with it. I want to color grade fanedits on it (using 1080p Blu-ray sources and also rendering in 1080p), so I want one with accurate colors, brightness, and contrast. I also want it to be easy to calibrate without having to get expensive calibration hardware.

I'm on a limited budget, so I'd prefer something $200 or cheaper, but I might be willing to go up to $250 if the monitor is significantly better than other options.

So far, I've found the two below, which both apparently have very accurate colors. The second is more expensive and more advanced, but (not fully understanding the technical terminology) I'm not sure whether the improvements it offers would be relevant for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JR9R5YS/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSABSGE/

Do you know of any better (or similar-quality but cheaper) options? And out of the two linked above, would they work equally well for my needs (meaning that the cheaper one would be the better purchase), or would the added benefits of the second one be things that would be useful for me?

If a monitor comes factory calibrated, does this mean that I wouldn't have to calibrate it at all (just plug and play)?

EDIT: I should also specify that my computer desk is made in such a way that limits the size of monitor that I can fit on it. I'm used to using 17-inch to 19-inch monitors, so a 24-inch one would be plenty big enough.

Back
Top Bottom