• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rebuild a PAL menu structure (exactly) as NTSC

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working on a preservation, and I'd like some tips. I am converting a Region 2 PAL OAR version of a movie to NTSC. I'm wondering if there's any way I could convert it and then use the menus from the NTSC version for navigating the film- there's no difference in the film aside from the aspect ratio, so I think it could work.

not exactly. when you reauthor the DVD, you will have to recreate the menus in NTSC. Its not exactly a fun process.

Here is a rough guide for how I have done this in the past:
-demux menu video and audio using PGCdemux
-convert using TMPGEnc
-set these videos as background for your new menus. Rebuild the buttons and highlights and masks as best as you can using a combination of your DVD authoring software, and photoshop or some other image editing software.

If the menus are complicated this can take some time.

ThrowgnCpr said:
not exactly. when you reauthor the DVD, you will have to recreate the menus in NTSC. Its not exactly a fun process.

Here is a rough guide for how I have done this in the past:
-demux menu video and audio using PGCdemux
-convert using TMPGEnc
-set these videos as background for your new menus. Rebuild the buttons and highlights and masks as best as you can using a combination of your DVD authoring software, and photoshop or some other image editing software.

If the menus are complicated this can take some time.
Well, the movie itself was released in both regions, but with different aspect ratios. I was hoping there'd be a way to take the NTSC menus from the Region 1 disc and slap them onto an NTSC conversion of the PAL feature.

ah, OK, I see. I misread at first, and thought you wanted to take the PAL DVDs and convert that structure to NTSC. BUT you want to take the menus from an NTSC DVD and replace the main movie with something that you have converted? theoretically yes. VOBblanker. However, I am not sure how the chapter stops will be handled, since I presume that your new video is a different length from the original NTSC video. I havent ever used VOBblanker, so I am not sure what all you can tweek (in terms of chapter stops, and which menus to keep), but it may be worth a try. You could also look at DVDreMakePro. That allows you to actually change the navigation structure and buttons of an existing DVD. Its a bit of a pain to use, but it might also be handy for this.

ThrowgnCpr said:
ah, OK, I see. I misread at first, and thought you wanted to take the PAL DVDs and convert that structure to NTSC. BUT you want to take the menus from an NTSC DVD and replace the main movie with something that you have converted? theoretically yes. VOBblanker. However, I am not sure how the chapter stops will be handled, since I presume that your new video is a different length from the original NTSC video. I havent ever used VOBblanker, so I am not sure what all you can tweek (in terms of chapter stops, and which menus to keep), but it may be worth a try. You could also look at DVDreMakePro. That allows you to actually change the navigation structure and buttons of an existing DVD. Its a bit of a pain to use, but it might also be handy for this.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I don't have the PAL disc in hand yet, so I'll try to kinda learn those before I attempt things once I get it. (Amazon.co.uk says expect it between the 6th and the 17th- not a very helpful estimate.)

Assuming that the NTSC DVD uses the "film" framerate, you could use software to slow the video down 4% (reverse PAL speedup), use the NTSC audio track as the audio, and replace the old .VOB's with the new ones.

"Theoretically" it could work, as the new VOB files should be exactly the same as the old ones. I've never done it before, however. Safety not guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom