• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ReBoot (TV, 1994-2002)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ladies and Gents, I give you... ReBoot!

market.jpg

What's that? Don't know what ReBoot is? Well, then, you'd best ask somebody, son! Or, better yet, surf your way over to Netflix Instant, and start with the masterpiece that is The Tearing!

...  Anyhow, I just finished re-watching the first two seasons, and  lemme  tell ya, the show's still awesome: just as smart, fun, witty and   fast-paced as I remembered, from the fantastic pilot to the  legitimately  scary two-part first-season finale to the utterly epic  five-part season  two concluding arc. And for the first-ever all CG  show, made in the 90s, it still looks great, too!

Here's my complete, new review of the first two seasons:

Season 1
1. The Tearing - a fantastic, exciting, well-plotted pilot; A
2. Racing the Clock - a partial "Tearing" retread still excites; B+
3. Quick and the Fed - some great details and touches, but nothing spectacular; B
4. Medusa Bug - creepy and lots of fun; Hex is a wonderful addition to the show; A-
5. The Tiff - first real character-based episode delivers the goods; B+
6. In the Belly of the Beast - the first two seasons' worst: watchable, but it cheapens Megabyte; C+
7. The Crimson Binome - a fun little yarn with tantalizing hints of the other systems that lie beyond; B+
8. Enzo the Smart - good, clean fun with a well-delivered message; B
9. Wizards, Warriors and a Word from Our Sponsor - A bit repetitive, but great action/scenery; B
10. The Great Brain Robbery - the plot is a bit of a retread, but it's well-done and Mouse is stellar; B+
11. Talent Night - goofy, aye, but also totally charming, with a great finale; A-
12. Identity Crisis (1) - A little long on the action beats, but a gripping setup to the second half; B+
13. Identity Crisis (2) - Dark, exciting, dark, scary, and dark as hell: it's excellent; A-

Season 2
14. Infected - Very fun bottle ep, though Megabyte simply stands around for a bit too long; B+
15. High Code - A rollicking good time, with a very memorable sorta-baddie; B+
16. When Games Collide - a familiar plot, but enough inventiveness and style to go around; B
17. Bad Bob - dazzlingly cinematic, hinting at the epic battles of to come; A
18. Painted Windows - delightfully trippy, but a bit much on the action front; B
19. AndrAla - for the first time, lots of continuity, and genuine suspense; B+
20. Nullzilla - undeniably goofy, but totally likeable; B
21. Gigabyte - Creepy and exciting - the gloves have come off; B+
22. Trust No One - Delightfully moody and perverse; A
23. Web World Wars - An awesome conflagration; a superb culmination of the show so far; A

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn, I remember this. Always used to watch it when I got home from school. Used to love it. The game on the ps1 not so much (it was duff).

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never watched this when it was originally on because I hated the way the cg looks, still do. To me it looks like unfinished cg. Kinda like the cg looks on those Shrek bloopers from the first movie, but just a little better. Not to mention that I was an adult by the time this show started and it was playing on a kids network.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even as an adult i went back and watched this show and it brought back so many memories. I mean the premise is wack. But still its mad fun

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh hell yes! This show is kick ass, used to watch it religiously. Anyone remember when they did that Road Warrior-esque episode? That one was grande!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Damn, I remember this. Always used to watch it when I got home from school. Used to love it. The game on the ps1 not so much (it was duff).
Fair enough, but it did have some pretty cool pre-rendered cutscenes, IIRC, that functioned as a prequel to the series. Too bad that stuff didn't make it onto any of the three new DVD releases.

Frantic Canadian said:
I never watched this when it was originally on because I hated the way the cg looks, still do. To me it looks like unfinished cg. Kinda like the cg looks on those Shrek bloopers from the first movie, but just a little better. Not to mention that I was an adult by the time this show started and it was playing on a kids network.
Disagree 100%; I think it looks great. Setting it in the totally unreal worlds of computers and their games; IMO, was a brilliant move, in that it allowed them to compensate with wild colors and splendidly inventive designs what they may have lacked in fine details or sophisticated shadings. And, from what I've seen of clips from brand-new CG shows such as Green Lantern and Transformers Prime, ReBoot still looks far better. :-D

Rogue-theX said:
Oh hell yes! This show is kick ass, used to watch it religiously. Anyone remember when they did that Road Warrior-esque episode? That one was grande!
I sure as hell do! Back in the day, I sent Mainframe Ent. a fan letter, specifically citing "Bad Bob" as my favorite ep - and someone there sent me a commercial-free VHS of it! I recently watched it again, and it's still totally awesome. :D

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Disagree 100%; I think it looks great. Setting it in the totally unreal worlds of computers and their games; IMO, was a brilliant move, in that it allowed them to compensate with wild colors and splendidly inventive designs what they may have lacked in fine details or sophisticated shadings. And, from what I've seen of clips from brand-new CG shows such as Green Lantern and Transformers Prime, ReBoot still looks far better. :-D

The only animated shows I watch are from FOX's Animation Domination Sunday night line-up, and Beavis & Butthead. I've seen what the new Green Lantern and Transformers Prime cartoons look like though and I agree, they look like shite. ReBoot's animation does look better, but it still looks like crap to me. Call me old fashioned but I prefer hand drawn animation. Big fan of FILMATION.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I <3 Reboot. That is all.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember watching it religiously as a kid, one episode that springs to mind was an X-files parody with Agents Fax Modem and Data Nully :D. I kinda lost interest around season 3 with the timeskip and Adult Enzo, it was on at times that clashed with other shows I watched and I wasn't fond of the new serious direction so....

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That one's reviewed above. It rocks!

I loved the two Mainframe arcs (the first and fourth) of the third season; I've only seen the in-between stuff once, and wasn't nuts about it, but now I'm thinking I should give it a second chance. Haven't seen the fourth season at all.

... Also, I know we Trekkies are supposed to be all about green chicks, what with the Orions and all, but even with Dot around, I find Mouse to be a compelling argument for giving purple women a try in live action sometime... :-D

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a hot chick cosplaying as AndrAIa on a (character appropriate!) motorbike. Your argument, if you'd even managed to compile one, is nullified.

lazy_by_nueteki-d4nnea3.jpg

sexy_reboot_by_nueteki-d49g0a1.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just discovered this great four-part retrospective on the series. And... yeah, I don't mind never having seen S4. From the weird facial animations to the rushed plots and in-your-face gags, I'm happy to have the show end with S3.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like Season 4, but Season 3 is the high point for sure.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Briefly noted: as ReBoot fans know, the third season is divided into four sets of four-episode arcs. I recently gave the latter three sets a revisit, as I've long been familiar with the first. Alas, the middle two arcs are every bit as bad as I remembered, with inconsistent characterization for the badass "Don't Call Me Enzo" Matrix, undercooked plots (how did Bob become leader of a Web gang? Who cares, he just did!), bad direction, and a downright boring third/Web arc. What's more, the transfer on Amazon Prime has a weird audio stutter, also noted in the double-season dvd set reviews, in which the background music seems to hiccup, which is especially noticeable in the third/Web arc. So, that's a shame.

That said, I'm pleased to report the fourth and final arc holds up very well: the direction is strong again, characterization is restored, and, man, it's violent. There's even an onscreen neck snap of a humanoid (albeit non-sentient) antagonist! And the season-long story's climax and musical finale, of course, can't be beat. Conclusion: as I remembered, it's best to skip the middle two arcs, and focus on Mainframe. (Because that bit about not-Bob speaking haltingly a la Shatner... it's just painful.) "ReBoot!" :p

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The two fourth season arcs Daemon Rising and My Two Bobs are quite good as well. The DVD transfer for them has some of the same problems, but it's not as bad as the first release where they forgot to re-pitch the audio between the 25 fps original and the 23.97 fps DVD. My Two Bobs was my first attempt at fanediting back in the day, where all I did was re-pitch the audio in Audacity and trimmed off the final cliffhanger scene.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is alphanumeric: a sample of ReBoot, upscaled via AI to HD!

Mainframe Studios, take note... there's easy money (in both Blu-ray sales and streaming rights) to be made in the old IP yet!  :D

Top Bottom