• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Re-syncing Subtitles

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello

I am being a lazy sod this afternoon and have far too much personal work to be getting on with to go down a rabbit hole for the answer :) - so i thought i'd ask you knowledgeable bunch to help and save hours of my life.

Last weekend i watched the beautiful new 4K of Wim Wender's Wings of Desire - it really is a restoration to behold, especially the colour parts of the film. However and to my dismay the subtitles on the 4K disc were frustrating and not how i am used to watching this masterpiece in the past. The subtitle is CC (Closed Caption) only and no forced subtitle for the foreign parts in French and German are available. (I am English speaker) . I've ripped the forced subtitles from my Axiom release bluray, and ripped my 4K disc and will mux them together on a hard drive. Which is so annoying as i would love to have just kept the disc on a shelf.

The problem i have now, is due to the opening film studios title cards, the movie and ripped subs are a different length. I know i can resync using subtitles edit but i just don't have the time at the moment and you lot just might have an easier solution for me. Right lets get to the question ....

Is there a tool out there that will allow me to cut the opening studio cards from 4K rip without having to re-render the file . I don't want to re-encode.

Any help is appreciated.

Subtitle Edit let's you shift the subtitles and save as .SRT.
MKVtoolnix let's you mux the updated subs with the video and audio (without recoding anything).

Other option: if you know exactly how much the subs are off, you can use only MKVtoolnix and timeshift the subtitles forward or backward. Again, no recoding so no loss of quality.

Yeah 'Subtitle Edit' has a feature called "Point Sync" under the synchronisation menu. You find the first subtitle and tell it when that should display, then do the same with the last subtitle and then with a click of button it will adjust the timing of every other subtitle to match. Providing the movie is the same length it will all sync up, however if it isn't you can choose as many points of sync as you like, to increase accuracy.

Thanks so much for your replies. Let me try a couple of your methods. I'll let you know how i get on. Cheers

A quick update: Thanks @TM2YC i used your Point Sync method in subtitle edit. It worked a treat and was so easy....they say its easy when you know how.

@lapis molari thanks for your suggestions also.

It's just a pain that i have to keep Wings of Desire on a hard drive - i must remember this when i do a rewatch and take the disc off the shelf.

Cheers

Yeah 'Subtitle Edit' has a feature called "Point Sync" under the synchronisation menu. You find the first subtitle and tell it when that should display, then do the same with the last subtitle and then with a click of button it will adjust the timing of every other subtitle to match. Providing the movie is the same length it will all sync up, however if it isn't you can choose as many points of sync as you like, to increase accuracy.

Oh and I should add that this is a very useful feature if you have subtitles timed for an old sped-up PAL DVD version of a film, which you want to sync with a normal speed blu-ray copy.... because everything in between the 1st and last subtitle, will still sync once re-timed.

I just found this thread, and wanted to say a big thank you for the details on Subtitle Edit and the 'point sync' feature! I can now add subtitles for my Back To The Future trilogy edit! :D(y)

Back
Top Bottom