• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Re-scoring a 1930's serial/movie

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let me start off by asking that you please don't yell at me if this has been discussed/covered before.

Are there any tips for trying to re-score the old Flash Gordon serials? This is something I want to do on the side when taking a break from other projects. This is definitely not in stereo sound and I'm not sure how ripping the audio works/if it would even work with this type of video.

The idea was to make my own edited version of the serials into feature length movies (I know it was done before in the 50's, but I rather make my own before watching those). I wanted to give it a more exciting score, kind of in the vein of Sky Captain, but I may look at other classical pieces for use (such as something by Mahler maybe).

Thanks in advance for your help (and for not screaming at me if this topic was covered before)!

Even with a 5.1 sound (6 audio channels) it is almost impossible to keep only the voices and sound effects of a movie and completely remove the music in all the scenes.
Making it 100% music with text cards would be the (easiest) way to go, not sure it's the way you'd like it to be though.

Basically everything Tmbtm said. Plus, flash gordon is pretty old, it was likely recorded in mono, very doubtful that it was even recorded for stereo. So what you hear is what you get. Probably the only way to get it descored would be to go back in time and get ahold of the audio elements they used to make it, but time travel is near impossible so...
Like tmbtm said, a silent version of the ol' flash gordon would be cool to see, why not give that a shot? I would love to see it in a silent version. Just my couple o' cents :).

It may be possible. The free audio editor "Audacity" has a noise removal option that you can use to remove music, sound effects, etc, while leaving voices.

hbenthow said:
It may be possible. The free audio editor "Audacity" has a noise removal option that you can use to remove music, sound effects, etc, while leaving voices.

I used this many times, its kind of cool, but in no way a "magic" tool... at all.
It will not remove music all along a movie with the press of a button and give you the voices only.
But on some scenes it can be helpfull.

Back
Top Bottom