• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random TV Show Thoughts

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Night Gallery (Season 1)

41VWph%2BU4pL._SY445_.jpg

Watched the pilot movie some years back, but only got around to checking out the series proper in the last couple weeks. I certainly loved the pilot — it's right up there with The Twilight Zone in quality — but Season 1 itself is a mixed bag. Maybe I'll check Seasons 2 & 3 out sometime. Maybe not.

SEGMENT RATINGS

(For the sake of completeness, I'll include the pilot segments, too.)

• "The Cemetery" – 9/10
  • "Eyes" – 7/10
  • "Escape Route" – 8/10
  • "The Dead Man" – 8/10
  • "The Housekeeper" – 5/10
  • "Room with a View" – 7/10
  • "The Little Black Bag" – 7/10
  • "The Nature of the Enemy" – 4/10
  • "The House" – 7/10
  • "Certain Shadows on the Wall" – 8/10
  • "Make Me Laugh" – 6/10
  • "Clean Kills and Other Trophies" – 6/10
  • "Pamela's Voice" – 5/10
  • "Lone Survivor" – 6/10
  • "The Doll" – 7/10
  • "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar" – 8/10
  • "The Last Laurel" – 5/10

SEASON'S RATING

6/10

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Slowly working my way through the old sci-fi anthology series, Out of The Unknown. It's expectedly hit and miss, but there are some real gems.

Just finished watching the episode "Thirteen To Centaurus", based on a story by J. G. Ballard, which was excellent and probably the best one so far. Well scripted and acted, unforeseen twists and an unsettling ending that lingers in the mind.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched this last night... or tried to watch...

What started out as cheesy nostalgia quickly devolved into a painful embarrassing mess.
And the promised race between KITT, The A-Team Van and ChiPs motorcycle was .... I don't know what that was...?
And why CHIPS?  Chips was 70s not 80s.  If you wanted a super vehicle they should have gone with the StreetHawk cycle. 
But Rex Smith was probably too smart to get involved with this cash-in stinker.
If you don't want your childhood memories tarnished, avoid at all costs.   :p

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GLOW, Season Three (2019)

glow-netflix-season-3-viewer-votes-cancel-renew-season-4-590x332.jpg

[S1/2 thoughts here] So, S3 was... interesting. The last two episodes leaned heavily on the drama and away from comedy, which has been coloring my thoughts on the season overall. The move to Vegas also meant far less onscreen wrestling, as the ladies were performing the same show over and over, and the wrestling we did see looked a lot tamer than before - maybe the series itself went easy on its actresses this time? Anyhow, I like the characters and enjoyed the season, most of which was funny and entertaining, but I hope the upcoming fourth and final season brings back the levity and some quality wrestling choreography.

S3 grade: B+
Overall series grade so far: B+

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agree. Not as laugh out funny as the first two seasons but still very entertaining.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The opening theme (and titles) to the 1981 pilot 'K9 and Company' is officially the most 80s thing ever and the decade still had 9-years to go :D :

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ugh, Living With Yourself (2019): don't bother. This had a lot of potential as a mini-series, but it actually IS a pilot season for a TV show: it doesn't resolve anything at the end.
1192255.jpg

More importantly, it gets incredibly stupid silly and goes off the rails in the finale. Paul Rudd anchored the idea with a really touching performance in early episodes, but the increasing focus on his (sorry) shrewish wife and several ridiculous plot points just tank the "ending".  The episodes are super short and designed to binge watch, but they're like a sugar high... gonna crash at the end.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the first four episodes of Locke & Key on Netflix. It’s a bowdlerized shadow of the comic; I don’t recommend it.

Nice set design, though.

6/10

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Watched the first four episodes of Locke & Key on Netflix. It’s a bowdlerized shadow of the comic; I don’t recommend it.

Nice set design, though.

6/10

I watched an episode and a half with my wife. I get similar vibes with this show and The Magicians, for some reason, but like a kid-friendly version. I am intrigued by the concept, but am not sure how I feel about the execution. The visuals are good so far but the dialogue and delivery is kind of... I don't know how to put it but a little annoying? Like it thinks it's clever or even classic, but it comes across more cliche. I'll have to watch more to decide if I find more to like than dislike, but will I finish? Not sure. Haven't read the comic but I did think I'd like it more. That first scene really drew me in.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Recently stumbled upon this video, which, upon searching appears to be the only Early Edition review/anything original content, really, on YouTube, so sure, I'll link it... I could quibble with one or two of the reviewer's points, but it's a fun watch nonetheless. I admit, I got into the show as a kid via the third season, and thought Patrick was pretty cool at the time. Sigh. :p

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished watching through season 1 of the 2019 Twilight Zone. It was not very good. Some episodes had good concepts, but ended up being too long or bland. My favorite episodes were Nightmare at 30,000 Feet, Replay, and Blurryman.
Nightmare was misleading, suggesting that it was going to have ties to the classic episode, but it ended up being very different. Completely different plot and messages with the only similarity being paranoid guy on a plane. But the message that it did have, or at least I think it was the message, was interesting.
He was so worried about terrorism that he grew suspicious of all of the non-white people on the plane, only for him to turn out to be the terrorist. Iirc, the ending narration does nothing to address this, that was just my takeaway.
Replay was neat, the concept felt like something out of a classic Twilight Zone episode, mixed with messages regarding race, and an interesting take on fate. But again, it was too long and I checked my phone a few times, I may have missed a few details.
Blurryman is a meta episode, essentially Wes Craven's New Nightmare, it's about a lady writing an episode of Twilight Zone, and features Jordan Peele playing himself. It was ridiculous and didn't feel like Twilight Zone, but it was entertaining. It had a surprising cameo that was weirdly done. It also tied all of the episodes together strangely.

A Traveler was neat but got boring, I lost interest. Point of Origin was interesting but I lost focus. The space episode was just uninteresting. Blue Scorpion I couldn't follow. The Comedian was pretty good. Wunderkind was weird but amusing. Not All Men was pretty good, but I totally forgot about it until I looked up an episode list just now, so take that as you will.
It was very hit or miss, no episode was especially good, and it does a poor job upholding the legacy. But it has potential, and I look forward to season 2.

I think there's some fanedit potential, cut the episodes down to get right to the point.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone watched the Alex Garland series Devs yet? It’s looking more like there might be a lot of at home time on the horizon so I’m considering jumping into a new series.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We watched the first three episodes this morning. So far I'm really enjoying it, but my wife isn't as interested.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read two reviews of Devs and was A) bored stiff, and B) still had no idea what the basic story is. So, pass. :p

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be your guinea pig and report back if it becomes worth investing 10 hours to watch.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone here watched Netflix's Green Eggs and Ham? I watched it months ago, but I was just thinking about it again. It's really fantastic.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been watching Frisky Dingo all day, currently on season 2 episode 4. I tried watching it a couple years ago and fell in love, but I never got around to finishing it.
It's really fantastic. I don't want it to end.

I'd love to see someone edit it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I've been watching Frisky Dingo all day, currently on season 2 episode 4. I tried watching it a couple years ago and fell in love, but I never got around to finishing it.
It's really fantastic. I don't want it to end.

I'd love to see someone edit it.

I'm not really a fan of that "category" of Adult Swim animation. The extreme low budget, limited look, and reliance on "random" humor (and to a lesser extent, the lack of stakes or consequences) makes it hard for me to invest in much of it. I'm taking about this, Aqua Teen, Sealab, Squidbillies, 12 oz mouse, etc. I used to be really into Adult Swim but much preferred Boondocks, Venture Bros, Home Movies, Superjail, and the licensed shows like Mission Hill and Futurama, the latter of which I eventually became obsessed. I know the others I listed also can exhibit some of the characteristics I don't like that I mentioned, but the second group just feels to me like more effort was put in, in every aspect of production. The show that transcended a little was Metalocalypse, it had the limited animation issue but higher overall production value than many in that category, especially in the music.

What is it you like about those shows? I know you said somewhere else you liked Sealab. Not trying to be sardonic, genuinely asking from curiosity.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love this, and Sealab, and Aqua Teen.
What about them do I like? Well, being a child of the 2000s, I was raised with them, and my sense of humor mirrors them.
In recent years, I've been watching them if I just need something easy to watch, short and funny and simple.

Frisky Dingo is different, it has plot throughout, and there are some sort of stakes and consequences. Kind of. And the humor is more streamlined and less random I think.

They're just fun silly shows, I don't know.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I love this, and Sealab, and Aqua Teen.
What about them do I like? Well, being a child of the 2000s, I was raised with them, and my sense of humor mirrors them.
In recent years, I've been watching them if I just need something easy to watch, short and funny and simple.

Frisky Dingo is different, it has plot throughout, and there are some sort of stakes and consequences. Kind of. And the humor is more streamlined and less random I think.

They're just fun silly shows, I don't know.

Fair enough, I'm not judging. Thanks for the insight.

Top Bottom