• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

random thoughts. rants. general nonsense.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
I gots no beef with someone rating their own edit. I used to do it myself.

(But I didn't always rate them a 10, if that's what you're thinking. ;) )
Oh I did answer your post but I was talking more in general. I'm sure you're well aware of the FE.org rules, even better than me. :)

(and I rated mine 9/10 cause it was fucking GREAT!) 8) :razz:

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Oh I did answer your post but I was talking more in general. I'm sure you're well aware of the FE.org rules
You're calling me out?! Oh, it's on now! ;)

(and I rated mine 9/10 cause it was fucking GREAT!) 8) :razz:
That's the spirit! :lol:

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know, I never thought about the ratings on a 1-10 scale being the same as a school grade. I think it's much easier to get a 90% in school than it should be to get a 9/10 on FE.org.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
really? Doesn't it depend on the school and the subject?
Of course it should not be easy to get a 9 or 10. "Great" and "Outstanding" are things that should not be provided easily.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
True. And maybe I just showed off a little too much ego :oops:

At any rate, it never even occurred to me to compare the two rating systems until this discussion.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cake.jpg

IT'S A CAKE
AND IT'S A PIE

PIE CAKE

AAAAAA

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
The DVD transfer of The Abyss Special Edition is absolutely bloody shocking!

Letterboxed widescreen, horrible deinterlacing, looks almost like a vhs tape on my flat screen the image is so soft :evil:

ok it only cost me £3 but you would of thought they'd worked out how to make a decent transfer by the time The Abyss came out.

I have been preaching the word of "WTF" about that DVD for years. Its easily one of my favorites and its a great film but the transfer is probably one of the worst I own.

Mollo said:
I am sure that last thing an Artist wants is to be shielded from honest and informed criticism. This very process ensures Artistic growth.

I 100% agree

Mollo said:
elbarto1 said:
this just feels like the reviewer didnt "get" my intentions, didnt like what I did and cast off a quick negative review. I dont claim to say "you cant do that" I would just like to know more about the issues than - you did it wrong. what was wrong about it?

As I stated, I feel the title concept failed in execution. This felt and showed itself to be very much a FanEdit. Every time I am reminded it has been cut or is abridged it takes me out of the experience.

you say that you were constantly aware of my cuts, does that mean there were technical issues? or do you just remember what used to be there? Sorry to pry the matter but your review seemed to cut off, as if you watched the first 45minutes and gave up.

Uncanny Antman said:
I wouldn't worry about 'whining', ElBarto. Nothing wrong with wanting to explore why an edit got rated the way it did. Knowledge is power. :)

tru dat

Schwartzee said:
[youtube:b3rhzhqt]

Uncanny Antman said:
...'cause I'm a nice guy, I'm not even gonna make a dirty joke about your delicate flower. ;)

Bring it OHNNNNNN! ;)

Mollo said:
I need to learn from this experience and think harder before writing a less than positive review. Sorry to all concerned, especially Elbarto1.

No apology necessary as I really just wanted to learn why the rating was given.I didnt intend to spawn such a public debate and should have ranted elsewhere or contacted you directly (but at the time of the posted rant, I really didnt know who gave me the 5) I need to be less attached to my hard work. Regardless, I appreciate the gesture. You are a positive contributor to this community in my eyes and thank you for taking the time to dl, watch and review my work even though I didnt especially like the rating.

boon23 said:
what's FC doing there right in the middle? ;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ThrowgnCpr said:
I think you overestimated my intentions. Never do I intend, or really appreciate others who get super defensive about there work. There is a history here, and perhaps my comment was without some context. All the time we (admins/mods) have had to deal with comments and reactions. 1 and 2 star ratings without comment, extremely harsh comments, faneditors attacking reviewers because they "don't get their art," and faneditors PMing us because of ratings. Whether people see it as a community or not, it really is, and it has to function that way.

I don't like when faneditors get super defensive about their works, and argue every point made by a reviewer, and on the flipside I don't appreciate an extremely harsh review/rating on a fanedit (If its on FE, it almost surely is impossible to get a 1 star). Do we have either of those cases here? Absolutely not. I can't change Mr. Mollo's reaction to the film. What he saw and experienced is it. Thats how it works. It simply didn't work for him. Really thats how it should be. There should be no "level of disbelief" crap. A fanedit should be viewed exactly like a film. And I don't think his review was all that bad. But there is a number attached to it. And I think your school-grade analogy was a good one. 5 is 50%. Which is a fail. To me that means the plot, entertainment, technical audio and video editing skill, authoring, and presentation all had to be bad. And I do think that is bullshit. I'm sticking with that word.

Like i said, this all seems a bit of big deal for what it is, but there is a story/history behind everything.

Thank you for explaining
-i165.photobucket.com-albums-u57-kiyonesyks-TSCC-1024x768_wallpaper_1-2-1.jpg

TV's Frink said:
I think it's much easier to get a 90% in school than it should be to get a 9/10 on FE.org.

Says the friggin' scientist.... glayvin!
professor%20frink.gif

ThrowgnCpr said:
...now, on to that group hug :)

grouphug.jpg

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man, it must've taken you 10 minutes just to set up all those quotes like that! Haha.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
nOmArch said:
The DVD transfer of The Abyss Special Edition is absolutely bloody shocking!

Letterboxed widescreen, horrible deinterlacing, looks almost like a vhs tape on my flat screen the image is so soft :evil:

ok it only cost me £3 but you would of thought they'd worked out how to make a decent transfer by the time The Abyss came out.

I have been preaching the word of "WTF" about that DVD for years. Its easily one of my favorites and its a great film but the transfer is probably one of the worst I own.

yes it truly is terrible, even worse than the lock stock directors cut, where the picture is so soft you could wipe a babies bottom with it!

as for this rating things between 1 and 10. correct me if im wrong but nowhere does it state that the score has any relation to ANY other rating system like school grades its purely a rating from 1 which = absolute shite to 10 which = a perfect faultless edit.

i think the best solution is have two ratings. one for technical quality of edit (although if it on fanedit.org then it should be flawless already) and one for you personal opinion. see the problem depends on whether the rating is subjective or objective. if its subjective then it really doesnt matter what the editor was trying to do with the edit if YOU dont like it then you dont like it. if its objective then you have to take into account what the editor was trying/failing to do and end up putting something at the end of the review like. all in all i personally didnt like what was done with the edit but that doesnt mean anyone else wont.

btw i assume the review in question is the one for True Lies? if so i guess its been edited already as, as it stands i cant work out why there would be an issue.

just my two cents, sorry im late to the party but work has been hectic all day and ive hardly had a chance to get anywhere near a pc and knock out a sensible reply.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the misunderstanding lies in the way mollo reviews is the polar opposite of how I review.
theres nothing wrong with that, it just leads to misinterpretation because if I apply his review to my scale, a 5/10 comes off as really poor, a F grade if you will. however, on his scale it could be that a 5/10 is half good half bad never even attaching a F to A comparison.

I am just speculating (or maybe just rationalizing) but I think that is what happened here. I transposed his grade onto my scale and that misinterpreted the data.

I like your idea about 2 ratings, objective for technical and subjective for entertainment but that would just confuse and clutter the site more. I try to incorporate both those views into my reviews as do other users/mods here but its not a standard, nor should it be - people are different and so are there styles of review.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perhaps there ought to be a "suggested general grading rubric" somewhere on the site? Because a 50% in academic terms is indeed a fail, but Roger Ebert for one doesn't mean that his 2/4-star reviews are "F"s; they're more like "C"s.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
I like your idea about 2 ratings, objective for technical and subjective for entertainment but that would just confuse and clutter the site more. I try to incorporate both those views into my reviews as do other users/mods here but its not a standard, nor should it be - people are different and so are there styles of review.

after reading that im not entirely sure what all the fuss was about in the first place :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'The big fuss' wasnt intended.

I made (what I thought was) a benign remark going into no detail or name calling and it exploded into a reasonable/fair tempered debate on reviewing at FE.org as a whole.

In hindsight I made a bad move.

woops.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That'll teach you to think, rant, and be nonsensical...

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:

I made (what I thought was) a benign remark going into no detail or name calling and it exploded into a reasonable/fair tempered debate on reviewing at FE.org as a whole.

woops.

I don't think it was a bad move at all. Anything that "explodes into a reasonable/fair tempered debate" on what goes on at FE is a good thing in my opinion. We as a collective group obviously watch and rate/review things differently. Discussing this in the open only leads to understanding.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
That'll teach you to think, rant, and be nonsensical...

I really appreciate the consistency at which you make me laugh Frink!

ThrowgnCpr said:
elbarto1 said:

woops.

I don't think it was a bad move at all. Anything that "explodes into a reasonable/fair tempered debate" on what goes on at FE is a good thing in my opinion. We as a collective group obviously watch and rate/review things differently. Discussing this in the open only leads to understanding.

well I appreciate that, and agree that friendly debate is always constructive but I feel I should be more humble and accept reviews with more class than to complain about it publicly.
even if it did start as a tongue in cheek comment.
the_more_you_know.jpg

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it was great this finally came up and was resolved peacefully. The future of FE may be even brighter because of that.
I understand that you did not want to start something, elbarto1, as it is not your style to do so. You are always nice and humble so far.
Thing is, I saw you remark and jumped right on it, because this was bothering ME for far too long. And I am happy to discover that I am not the only one who feels bad when fanedits (not just mine) receive ratings or comments that should not be.
Now the rating has of course not been removed, because opinions are what they are and according to our rules it takes an explaining review for a bad rating, which was done here. But to show that these rules are not meant as a free ride is a good thing.
And I am quite sure it will not be the last time we discuss this matter.
Now I see ratings as important for the audience and as feedback for the faneditor. But since they "rate" something and declare a value to it, they will always be causing good and also bad feelings.
This topic here is a good place to vent and discuss such stuff.
Humble is good, but sometimes things have to be uttered to take things a step forward. And I think we did that. Everybody who read this thread will probably act a bit more responsible in the future and think about reactions.
Can you still find a fanedit utterly bad and say it? Oh yes, you can. But do it with care and respect. It's not too much to ask in a community.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1, ditto, what he said, etc. etc. :)

Top Bottom