• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Random movie thoughts

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Blue Velvet for the third time, and there were a lot of little scenes and details that I forgot about or completely missed before. I never noticed that Frank just takes Ben's tape, for one.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So you thought 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' was Sean Connery's last movie? That's forgetting about this unbelievably awful and cheap looking film where he voices a skateboarding grandpa:

It looks like the sort of thing that should be on RLM's Best of the Worst.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found out about Sir Billi a couple years ago.

Apparently there was a controversy in Scotland where people were mad because Brave was more popular than the actually Scottish Sir Billi.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gawd. That animation looks like it would've been cutting edge in the early '90s, pre-Toy Story.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What da fak. I thought Sean Connery said:

I thought long and hard about it and if anything could have pulled me out of retirement it would have been an Indiana Jones film.[...] But in the end, retirement is just too damned much fun. 

So Indiana Jones 4 wasn't enough for getting out of retirement, yet Sir Billi was?

giphy.gif

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
He probably didn't have to leave home to do the voice-over work.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure whether to be impressed or appalled that the new blu-ray cover of The Squeeze, a 1987 Michael Keaton movie that apparently exists, retains the original poster image. Maybe a bit of both?

232398_medium.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was reading that the PlayStation 5 is confirmed to include a 4K blu-ray drive: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25832

I'm sure like me, a lot of people bought a PS3 because it came with a then pretty new blu-ray drive for "free". The same will probably be true for this. The console also being backward compatible with all the existing PS4 games is gonna make this a difficult purchase to resist.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I skipped out on the PS4, but I may get the PS5 (when it drops in price...). I was pretty peeved the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible... and I think it's a bit silly the PS5 won't play PS3 games either. These things are bulky and take up loads of space.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I skipped out on the PS4, but I may get the PS5 (when it drops in price...). I was pretty peeved the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible... and I think it's a bit silly the PS5 won't play PS3 games either. These things are bulky and take up loads of space.

I know. IIRC correctly, the PS3 was a totally different system, a custom Sony console build type thing, where as the PS4 and PS5 are basically PCs so compatibility isn't really an issue anymore.

I can't wait to finally be able to play the two UHD discs I own! :D

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m kind of surprised it has a disk drive at all. I’m not a gamer, but my kids recently got a Nintendo Switch and we buy games by downloading them.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's unfortunate none of Bentley Little's novels have been adapted for film.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'It's a Wonderful Life' is almost a perfect film in my eyes, but I dislike how they depict alternate-universe Mary Hatch as an 'Old Maid'. I suppose not being married, having kids and ending up as a librarian, of all things, was considered a terrible outcome in 1946, but it hasn't aged well.

In my mind, Mary married Sam Wainwright. His business failed, as he located his factory in Rochester and not in Bedford Falls, as suggested by George. He became an abusive alcoholic. By living and marrying Mary, George prevents this toxic relationship. Too harsh?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
'It's a Wonderful Life' is almost a perfect film in my eyes, but I dislike how they depict alternate-universe Mary Hatch as an 'Old Maid'. I suppose not being married, having kids and ending up as a librarian, of all things, was considered a terrible outcome in 1946, but it hasn't aged well.

In my mind, Mary married Sam Wainwright. His business failed, as he located his factory in Rochester and not in Bedford Falls, as suggested by George. He became an abusive alcoholic. By living and marrying Mary, George prevents this toxic relationship. Too harsh?

That's a fair criticism of a near perfect movie for sure. It also feels off because it's arguably how the world would be if George had rejected her at the dance (after she has loved him since childhood), not if she had never known he existed. All the other timeline changes are logical, that one isn't, your idea is better.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Somebody please dissuade me from going to see Cats in the cinema

I feel like it's a fever dream I've already had but can't quite remember

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Zamros said:
Somebody please dissuade me from going to see Cats in the cinema

I feel like it's a fever dream I've already had but can't quite remember

I love this review so much. Hopefully it helps you make up your mind. P.S. if the link doesn’t work, let me know.

Answer to Is the movie Cats (2019) really that bad? by Johan Torres https://www.quora.com/Is-the-movie-...er/Johan-Torres?ch=3&share=1671a3eb&srid=hK1r
Link doesn't work, this review makes me want to see the movie even more :p

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ oh yeah I read it, was just making a joke about how it didn't dissuade me, on the contrary; I now want to see it more than ever, if only to yell obscenities in an empty theater.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
^ oh yeah I read it, was just making a joke about how it didn't dissuade me, on the contrary; I now want to see it more than ever, if only to yell obscenities in an empty theater.

Yeah I think if you’re at all interested in seeing it and you are okay with it being a potentially The Room-esque camp experience you should have at it and enjoy every baffling moment.

Top Bottom