• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Junior Explorer Edition)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
banner.png

Significant other asked if I would make an Indy edit for the junior explorers. Purposeful editing? I jumped on this one faster than Indy on the trail to recover the Ark.

I've done a few of these styles of edits, but only felt like ESB was up to IFDb standard. These edits are a bit tricky, especially when the movie has such an iconic and present score.

EDITING DETAILS
The main focus of this edit was to make it into a TV-Y7 level movie. That means bringing down the intensity of the violence, toning down the horror elements at the end of the movie and adjusting a few scenes as to not present Marion so overtly as a sex symbol. This is a niché edit meant for those who don't want to show the movie to their kids in all it's Indy glory quite yet.

CUT LIST
-Trimmed opening act (Forrestal dead body, Indy throwing Satipo the idol, Satipo's death, Barranca's death)
-Trimmed bar fight to remove gun deaths (removed bloody death scenes, cursing)
-Trimmed up Indy trying to find Marion (removed sword man, bloody scenes)
-Cropped scene of Belloq creeping out on Marion while she changes
-Trimmed scenes in the Well of Souls (removed cursing, creepy dead bodies scene)
-Trimmed airplane scene to remove the gore (no propeller, machine gun mow downs)
-Trimmed truck scene (blood splats, running over soldiers, driving off the cliff)
-Trimmed Ark ceremony (nightmare ghosts, face melting/exploding, dead bodies flying)

Not quite sure if I'll IFDb this one or if it will ultimately end up as a workprint.

Currently watching it with the troop.

Would anyone be interested in screening this one and giving feedback?

poster-2.png

NmCeGw6sD0lVY3hHM8LP7t3NfAhn1ys0aGHVwV7B.webp

Last edited:
I'd be really interested in previewing this with my kid. He hasn't seen it yet and is at the point where he may be fine if I just warn him when the face melting is about to begin, but a version that trims some of that out is very compelling. Alas, I don't own the media for this one. Not sure if my Netflix membership counts.

I don't have a kid to show it to, but if you'd like an extra previewer I'd be happy to give it a watch :)

Are you going to show them Young Indy adventures? Slower pace and simpler stories (and only DVD picture quality), but I love 'm.

Are they available to stream anywhere? They used to be on Paramount+ but disappeared a few months ago.

One of my kiddos pointed out a few continuity issues (truck explosion and truck heist blood) so I'll be looking at those sections again. If I can get those to flow I'll probably go IFDB, if not then workprint.

Are you going to show them Young Indy adventures? Slower pace and simpler stories (and only DVD picture quality), but I love 'm.
Admittedly I'm not a fan of the show. If they show interest we'll probably give them a go though :)

I think I'm going to call this one good and post it to IFDB. I'll post when the upload is ready.

I understand the desire to make it "kid-friendly", but my experience is not to worry too much about washing out onesie-twosie material from an otherwise fine film. This isn't like trying to make a kid friendly Poltergeitst, Friday the 13th, or some other gore fest. I remember when my son was 3 and he just LOVED dinosaurs. Watched all kinds of documentaries, had books read to him, slept with dinos larger than him, etc... We then wanted to know if he could "handle" Jurassic Park, so we decided to re-watch it from a parental point of view to see if we though it was appropriate and if our young son could handle it. The first major test came when the T-Rex ate the lawyer in the bathroom stall. As the scene came out, we both leaned in and wanted to pay VERY CLOSE attention to it. As it happened, we heard a very loud "OH COOOOOOL!!!!!!" from above. Turns out, he has snuck out of bed (not something he was prone to do) and was watching the move from the overhang the entire time. We laughed and said, YEP... HE CAN HANDLE IT.

Not trying to supersede you raising your kids how to see fit mind you. Just pointing out that not everything has to be white-washed. If you hold back everything from kids, how will they know how to act or what to think when they are older and haven't been exposed to real life. That's the problem with kids today and "friends" or likes on social media instead of actually interacting with people.

Not trying to supersede you raising your kids how to see fit mind you. Just pointing out that not everything has to be white-washed. If you hold back everything from kids, how will they know how to act or what to think when they are older and haven't been exposed to real life. That's the problem with kids today and "friends" or likes on social media instead of actually interacting with people.
Thank you for sharing your perspective. It sounds like this edit isn't for you. Also, I think you're missing the context of this edit. We hold back gratuitous violence from our kids, but we very much tackle topics of racism, hate, ignorance with a hope to incorporate a sense of acceptance, tolerance and celebration of life that is different than our own. I'm not sure how taking out violence equates to the problem with kids today not interacting with others. Violence is a primal impulse. Problem solving, thoughtfulness and collaboration take greater effort and require personal progress and growth.

What a great idea! It sounds like you're already done with this, but if you're still making a few last-minute tweaks, I have a copy of Raiders from the ABC network airing that has Marian outside the bar while it's burning, saying to Indy, "You got more than you bargained for. Until I get my $5000 back, I'm your new d--- partner!" instead of "I'm your g.d. partner" like she says in the theatrical cut.

The face-melting at the end is a bit more edited than the theatrical version as well. It may give you some ideas if you're still wrestling with that scene.

Again, I'm late to this thread, so if you're already happy with it as is, no worries. But if you're curious about the above, PM me!

What a great idea! It sounds like you're already done with this, but if you're still making a few last-minute tweaks, I have a copy of Raiders from the ABC network airing that has Marian outside the bar while it's burning, saying to Indy, "You got more than you bargained for. Until I get my $5000 back, I'm your new d--- partner!" instead of "I'm your g.d. partner" like she says in the theatrical cut.
With that one, I just removed her talking about the money. She simply says she's his new partner now.
The face-melting at the end is a bit more edited than the theatrical version as well. It may give you some ideas if you're still wrestling with that scene.
All face melting is gone in this edit. Indy tells Marion to close her eyes, we see some ghost whisps, the sky opens up with fire and then everything is engulfed in flames.
Again, I'm late to this thread, so if you're already happy with it as is, no worries. But if you're curious about the above, PM me!
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. It is "done", but you know how that goes with fanediting :)

Glad you were able to find ways of your own to work around that stuff!

I understand the desire to make it "kid-friendly", but my experience is not to worry too much about washing out onesie-twosie material from an otherwise fine film. This isn't like trying to make a kid friendly Poltergeitst, Friday the 13th, or some other gore fest. I remember when my son was 3 and he just LOVED dinosaurs. Watched all kinds of documentaries, had books read to him, slept with dinos larger than him, etc... We then wanted to know if he could "handle" Jurassic Park, so we decided to re-watch it from a parental point of view to see if we though it was appropriate and if our young son could handle it. The first major test came when the T-Rex ate the lawyer in the bathroom stall. As the scene came out, we both leaned in and wanted to pay VERY CLOSE attention to it. As it happened, we heard a very loud "OH COOOOOOL!!!!!!" from above. Turns out, he has snuck out of bed (not something he was prone to do) and was watching the move from the overhang the entire time. We laughed and said, YEP... HE CAN HANDLE IT.

i screamed out of the room with the children scène in the kitchen at roughly the same age lmao

The archive dot org link went down so I've re-uploaded. If you requested before and didn't receive an updated link, just rereqidst using the usual request form. Thanks for your patience.

Back
Top Bottom