• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

R.I.P. GeoCities

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A moving obituary here. But yeah, the whole "cities" concept of site clusters was indeed pretty "nauseating". :razz:

I think I had a GeoCities page once. Or was it xoom? I had a great minute-long Indy-themed stop-motion lego movie on xoom (before the official Indy lego line, that is), but that's long been lost in the sands of the internets. Wish I still had that file. And I bet there's lots of redundant or never-watched stuff on YouTube that takes far more memory than the GeoCities sites ever did.

I guess Google Sites is now the premier free web site hosting... Anyhow, just a bit of arcane Internet lore... :)

for me they died in ~2001 when they changed their AD style and forced popups in the page.

i left.

At one point I had my own nickname for them...which probably caught on...

GeoShities.

I still have a very extensive site there, with all my theater performances and published writings chronicled and updated. It's been online for twelve years, and is probably one of the longest-running and most informative pages that any person has ever posted on themselves (Hey, it was 1997, pre-Livejournal/MySpace/Facebook, and I had no life). I've often used it as a way of reminding myself that I have indeed accomplished things in my life, even at my absolute worst of times. And now, it's going to die. Or I could pay per-month for it. (In other words, it's going to die.) Damn it. Damn it all....

Anyone use Google Sites? Do you like it?

I had forgotten about GeoCities. Looks like AngelFire is still going, uh, strong, though.

Let's live in hope they go the way of the dodo too.

Back
Top Bottom