• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

quick PAL 2 NTSC

ryancorven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
the quick PAL2NTSC method does not interfere with the time at all.
dgpulldown adds half frames to the 25fps allowing it to play at 29.97fps.
1 hour 56 minutes stay 1 hour 56 minutes.
174000 frames become 208591 frames.

My original file before using dgpulldown was 169144 frames (1 hour 52 minutes 45 seconds), and after using dgpulldown I have the same number of frames, but a running time of 1:34:03. It seems pretty hard to go wrong with such a simple program, but that's what I appear to have done.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, I don't know what you are doing.
dgpulldown from 25 to 29.97 is what you are supposed to do. Never failed on me.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maybe he isnt setting the right FPS in the encoder.

ryancorven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
AvP said:
maybe he isnt setting the right FPS in the encoder.

As the input was 25fps, I set it to 25 --> 29.97.

I've given up on that method and used VirtualDub to change the framerate with minimal compression, which has done the trick. Not ideal, but will do for now.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was doing today a little conversion of deleted scenes from Transformers ROTF and I tried to do what Boon23 write down in first post. But there was some problem with virtual dub and eventually I've done it differently:

1 :arrow: PGCDemux - demuxed video stream
2 :arrow: DGPulldown - used it on video file from step 1 (change to 29,97)
3 :arrow: ConvertXtoDVD - convert video from step 2 to NTSC VOB/DVD
4 :arrow: ConvertXtoDVD - convert original video to NTSC VOB/DVD (crappy picture quality but i needed only audio)
5 :arrow: put file from step 3 to Womble as video and file from step 4 as audio

Done.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
At point 3. ConvertXtoDVD changed it during conversion to NTSC .vob.

ConvertXtoDVD can't change framerate properly (stuttering appears) but framerate was changed in step 2, so the only thing to change was resolution. And it has no problem with it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah! Is the picture quality good if you use ConvertXtoDVD? Don't you need an external encoder?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you will not get very good results with convertx2dvd. it is a quick-one-click dvd maker with its own encoding engine. Its really nice for not having to think, but not as nice for quality. I would suggest sticking to boons instructions above.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it is a quick-one-click dvd maker with its own encoding engine

I have not used it for complete PAL to NTSC change, just change of resolution and audio speed, and for that - it was good enough.

Ah! Is the picture quality good if you use ConvertXtoDVD?

In this case - good enough (I have not seen any artifacts etc.)
But it sometimes produces artifacts (especially when there are flashing lights on video), so it is not always that good.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never said you used it for the whole process. It doesnt matter when you use it. At any stage in the process, you are using the convertx2dvd encoder. This will not produce the most desirable results.

The process outlined by boon is pretty easy, and you just have to use a high quality encoder to get the best results. I don't understand why you would need to use convertx2dvd at any stage here.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't understand why you would need to use convertx2dvd at any stage here.

For some reason VirtualDub Mpeg wasn't working. Just doing nothing after I've hit "Start" button. Anyway, it was only about 90 seconds of movie, and ConvertX2DVD handled it well. So I'm happy with it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
For some reason VirtualDub Mpeg wasn't working. Just doing nothing after I've hit "Start" button.

I had that once, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Are you missing a codec? I have solved this sort of problem quite a few times by making sure all the necessary codecs were in the same folder as the utility, and it was pointed to them.

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seems to have worked great! Thanks for this guide. I was daunted by it at first and then realized that none of it would make sense unless I was looking at the programs while reading this guide.

Top Bottom