• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Question(s) about unwanted subtitles

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I’m officially going bonkers.

I was using Ulead Video Studio 10 to work on a cut of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Then, suddenly, the clip I’m adding has subtitles in it. Mind you, it’s the same clip I’ve been using up until now. It didn’t have subtitles before. I was just using different sections of the same clip to assemble the scene. Now, all of a sudden, it has the subtitles in English, and I can’t get rid of them. It’s ruining the whole project.

So I switch over to Pinnacle Video Spin and start assembling the same edit from scratch. There are no subtitles, but now it’s abruptly skipping over certain parts of the video and making things run all choppy, even though the clip menu shows me that I added all the parts of that section properly. Ugh.

So I set that project aside for the moment and work on my cut of Labyrinth. When I tried to play the clip in Ulead, the sound is all choppy; it keeps cutting in and out every other second. So I switch over to Video Spin again. The sound now plays perfectly, but suddenly there are subtitles! French subtitles, no less. The subtitles are even over the opening credits because of the words to David Bowie’s song (which I’m removing anyway).

Again, it’s the same video clip that I was using before. It didn’t have subtitles when I was using it in the other program.
Why do both of these software programs feel the need to randomly add subtitles to the films?? How come they’re there sometimes and not at others? And is there any way to get rid of these stupid things so I can make progress on ONE of my fan edits, at least?

Thanks in advance!

What did you use to rip your video clip?

TomH1138 said:
How come they’re there sometimes and not at others?

Are you editing an MPEG-2 source? First try re-ripping your disc and making sure that no unwanted subtitles are selected or forced.

If this does not work, you might have come across closed captions: these are "soft" -- i.e. they are not part of the image itself -- and sometimes one program displays them but another does not. If so, the solution is to load your file into Restream, change User Data from "don't change" to "remove" and click Write. By default, you will receive a file with the same file name as your original but with .0 added to the end. There is no re-encoding in this process, so no quality is lost.

Stankpac: I used DVDfab, in both cases, I believe. At the time of ripping, there were no subtitles. Same with my long-in-gestation RotS - there are only subtitles from the DVD sometimes, and I can't seem to control when and how they pop up.

I guess I should also mention the formats. I currently have Labyrinth in VOB format in Ulead, which is unwieldy, but I don't want to downgrade it to WMV. The VOB isn't giving me subtitles, but the sound is all wrong. I have the video in MP4 in Video Spin, where the sound is right, but I have those stupid subtitles.

When I tried to load the VOB of Labyrinth into Video Spin, it wouldn't load properly. It made the first 25 minutes play as though it was 1 second long.

Conversely, I tried to load the MP4 of Labyrinth into Ulead, but the program claims that the file "contains no video data."

As for LWW, I'm currently editing it as WMV in both formats. I must have started this project before I knew that WMV was of such low quality that it wouldn't be accepted for submission here (if I remember reading that correctly). At any rate, I can't find my DVDs right now - I have the original and the extended edition, but both must be buried in my public storage unit at the moment. So in the meantime, I'm just trying to figure out what I can do with this 30-minute clip.

I hope this information helps - although maybe you're just as confused as I am by now!

Captain Khajiit said:
Are you editing an MPEG-2 source? First try re-ripping your disc and making sure that no unwanted subtitles are selected or forced.

If this does not work, you might have come across closed captions: these are "soft" -- i.e. they are not part of the image itself -- and sometimes one program displays them but another does not. If so, the solution is to load your file into Restream, change User Data from "don't change" to "remove" and click Write. By default, you will receive a file with the same file name as your original but with .0 added to the end. There is no re-encoding in this process, so no quality is lost.

Ah. These are very useful tips. Thanks, Captain!

If anyone else has more ideas while I try to track down where my DVDs are buried, I'm open to them.

After you rip your DVD, demux with PGCDemux. Load it up, click Browse next to Input Ifo and try opening each Ifo in turn until you find the one what gives a runtime that matches your movie.

Mode: by PGC
Domain: Titles
Demux video stream: checked
Demux audio streams: checked

Check anything else you want. Fill out your output folder. Process.

Then you can either edit the .m2v or convert it to a lossless AVI, such as lagarith; I recommend the latter. I would not advise making an MP4 or WMV and editing those.

^^The Captain is right on all accounts! ;-)

So, Captain, should I run PCGDemux in addition to Restream, or as an alternative to it?

BTW, I misspoke the other day. It's not DVDfab that I've been using, for the most part. It's DVD Shrink.

That may be part of the problem. I just found my copy of AotC and gave that a whirl. Then I converted it from VOB to MPEG2, since that seems to be a favored format. Now AotC also has subtitles in both programs! :mad:

Run pgcdemux to strip the video out by itself, so the subs don't get encoded into the vid during other conversions.

TomH1138 said:
So, Captain, should I run PCGDemux in addition to Restream, or as an alternative to it?

You demux with PGCDemux first. Then, if you are determined to edit an m2v, run it through Restream if you have closed captions. I would convert to lossless AVI though, as I said before, in which case you do not need to worry about closed captions.

Use DVDFab, not DVD Shrink. If you continue to experience problems, I would appreciate a sample.

Thanks for the clarification, Captain!

I don't have any particular reason to go with m2v. I don't think I've used it in any of my editing up until now. So I'll gladly go with lossless AVI, if I can find a way to do so.

I'll respond to your PM in a minute!

Captain Khajiit said:
After you rip your DVD, demux with PGCDemux. Load it up, click Browse next to Input Ifo and try opening each Ifo in turn until you find the one what gives a runtime that matches your movie.

OK, after a busy month, I'm finally sitting down to give this a try.

There's just one problem: My ripped DVDs aren't in the .ifo format already, so PGC Demux doesn't recognize them. :oops: LOL! What do I do now?

You should have .vob and .ifo files (and .bup I believe). What exactly do you have?

Lightbulb goes on . . .

I didn't re-rip it. I tried to use the files I already had. But those were the converted files, not the source files. I forgot that until just now when I read your question.

Duh on my part! :lol: Sorry - I'll get back to you after I try an actual re-rip.

All righty, I just gave PGCDemux another try with the Indy 4 that I just ripped to my computer. I put the .ifo in the program and demuxed it exactly according to Captain K's instructions. I'm absolutely certain that the file I demuxed was the full 2-hour movie; I checked it before I demuxed it.

Now I have a four-minute file. It barely even gets past the opening credits. :-| There's only one .m2v file in the folder.

So what happened? Where's the rest of the movie? How can I fix this? Someone please help!

P.S. To be clear, I'm not frustrated with Captain K. He's been a big help. I'm frustrated with the software not working, and not knowing why.

I do have two VTS files in the folder that I ripped Indy 4 to. One is VTS_1_0, the other is VTS_1_1. But the _1_0 is the one that's two hours in length when loaded into a video player, and when I went back to PGCDemux to try to put _1_1 into it, the program doesn't recognize that as an .IFO file and allow me to convert it.

Back
Top Bottom