• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Pulp Fiction: The Chronological Edit (aka Re-edited Diner Scene)

I will redo the edit with a higher qualtiy rip and see if the suggestions improve the diner scene.

Will keep you posted!

Hey, I just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time yesterday, and the first thing that came to my head after I finished was that if the movie was to be fan edited, it should be involve rearranging the events in chronological order. And then I remembered your thread. According to the order of events, Butch's childhood memory scene comes first, so how are you going to transition that to the Jungle Boogie intro music and the title credits? Because the flashback scene is not humorous at all, so according to the way it plays out in my head the transition's quite abrupt.

MWRK said:
Hey, I just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time yesterday, and the first thing that came to my head after I finished was that if the movie was to be fan edited, it should be involve rearranging the events in chronological order. And then I remembered your thread. According to the order of events, Butch's childhood memory scene comes first, so how are you going to transition that to the Jungle Boogie intro music and the title credits? Because the flashback scene is not humorous at all, so according to the way it plays out in my head the transition's quite abrupt.

In this particular instant - because of the point you made and because I see it as some sort of intro - I took a little bit of artistic freedom (by not sticking to the "chronological" completely) and kept the original transition with the bell and the adult Butch sitting up before the fight. But only until the point when he moves his eyes. The moving eyes are underscored by the first sliding note of the opening track "Miserlou" and then the opening credits roll.

If you're interested, I could send you the links to my unapproved edit (the final version will only be different in quality and the editing of the diner sequence).

But according to the original events of Pulp Fiction, the credits start with 'and I'll execute every single motherf**king one of you!', not Butch's flashback. Yeah thats how I would have done it to. Either cut from that dude opening the door behind Butch to the titular credits, or midway from when Butch sits up.
And yeah sure please do send me the links to your edit, would love to see it!

nAsA said:
If you're interested, I could send you the links to my unapproved edit (the final version will only be different in quality and the editing of the diner sequence).

I realise this is almost a year old now, but I too would be very interested in setting your unapproved edit. Especially since Pulp Fiction recently turned 20 years old, seeing it in a totally new way would be a great experience.

Really hope you see this.

One additional critique; you can hear Jules talking about eating his muffin twice. Once on-screen and once in the background. You can probably fix it the way you fixed the "garçon means boy" part.

PulpFictioninChronologicalOrder_4fab4571757f2.jpg

I actually still want to see this also. Pulp fiction is a fav.

The entire movie is just f****** awesome.

Neglify said:
I reviewed it and sent my notes to the editor. It's disapproved at this time, needs to be better quality and I feel the editing in the diner scene can be improved.

I didn't want to post until I read everything here, but I do agree that some bits of the diner scene were jarring. A few cuts that were a few frames too late or too soon. The jump back to Jules at Vincent around 1:29 was a bit off to me. I hope this comes through though. The flow itself was great and it never felt as if it wasn't part of a whole. About the ambience -I suppose I can still chime in since this is back to ITW- I'm not sure if simply fading in and out the ambience in the louder parts is the way to go? That way it's simply quiet when Honey-Bunny and Pumpkin are talking, but when you get to Vince and Jules, suddenly the noise grows louder and you're smack in the middle of it?

It's of course entirely plausible for Vince and Jules to be in a slightly more crowded area of the diner, since they are several tables apart from one another, but a diner would have to be pretty big for there to be an audible difference in one corner from the next. No? :)

I don't know what the audio tracks look like in Pulp Fiction, but is it perhaps at all possible to extract the dialogue and crank the volume down on the remaining ambience? Then put the dialogue back in and you're good?

Kal-El said:
I don't know what the audio tracks look like in Pulp Fiction, but is it perhaps at all possible to extract the dialogue and crank the volume down on the remaining ambience? Then put the dialogue back in and you're good?

That's possible using Audacity with the video plugin (can't remember the plugin name, but it should be easy to find. It allows importing audio from video.).

The noise removal tool under effects is the right tool for the job.

Select a bit of audio that has nothing but ambient noise, click effects - noise removal - get noise profile. Then select the entire pieces with that specific noise and then click effects - noise removal - remove noise. Leaving settings at default normally works great.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll try to incorporate all of them as best as I can. :)
The new version of the edit is about 75% done...I was just too busy studying and working to finish it.
I'll keep you posted!

Hey everyone,

I finally got around finishing my edit! It took longer than expected because I had a serious hard drive failure several weeks ago and it took quite some time to get everything running again.
My new version now only needs to get approved...let's hope for the best.
I'll get back to you if there are any new developments shoing up!

Thread moved to pending approval.

Still waiting for someone to contact me about approving my edit...
How long does it usually take?
I'm quite anxious to get it finally out there! ;-)

Cheers

There is no typical length of time. It depends on how busy people are, how interested they are, how backlogged they are, etc. etc.

A few weeks is a pretty short time unless you've produced something that really grabs a reviewer's interest.

OK thanks...then I guess there is nothing I can do but wait!

Thread moved as it has recently been approved by @"thecuddlyninja" . More detailed review to follow. @"nAsA" please submit listing to ifdb. Thanks.

This edit is approved! Great work, nAsA. Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece and this is an interesting experiment.

Let's be clear: the film was never meant to unfold this way. The pacing is all over the place. The film's climax comes a half hour into the edit.

BUT

It's still really cool to experience this way. While the film's climax is super early, there are other elements I like a lot. The edit ends with Butch and Fabienne on the chopper, which is a nice triumph of sorts to go out on. We also meet Butch and Marsellus early on in the bar. I enjoy the Marsellus bookends (we meet him early and watch the back of his head as he talks, and then late on that idea is inverted and referenced in Butch and Marsellus's final conversation). The opening scene is young Butch getting the gold watch, so in the edit it feels like the narrative throughline of the film. So the bookend is nice but it's obviously a bit odd to begin with that and then go into a bunch of Jules and Vincent stuff.

Technically, I had no issues with this edit. It was sourced from a DVD but looked fine considering. There were a lot of fade outs and fade ins, but that matches the editing of the actual film.

A very fun alternate experience which is both interesting to watch and insightful into how Tarantino movies have pretty normal emotional arcs, it's just that time gets chopped up to make it so.

Back
Top Bottom