• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Puggo Grande (Star Wars 16mm preservation)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From Puggo:

What is the "Puggo GRANDE"? It is my telecine transfer and restoration of an old 16mm print of Star Wars. The film was borrowed from a source who wishes to remain anonymous, and who for now will go by the name Jaxxon. Actually, Jaxxon provided me with two prints, both of which have the original crawl. One of the prints has Swedish subtitles and the mono mix! I used the Swedish version as a source for the mono mix and for a few video segments when needed to patch damaged frames.

For the video capture, I used a 16mm Workprinter manufactured by Roger Evans of Moviestuff. The Workpriter was further modified to capture more of the frame, to more effectively capture the scope print. It also needed additional adjustment of the positioning of the lens to avoid chopping the corners. For the optical audio tracks, I used an EIKI Slimline 16mm projector. I used CoolEdit to clean the audio, and Vegas Video to sync the tracks.

For additional post-processing, I used the following:
  • Virtualdub - CMYK filter (RocketJet4 Tools) for color correction,
  • Vegas Video - various masking and corrections to reduce edge effects,
  • PhotoStudio - to build a curved border
  • Vegas Video - chroma keying the border, resize, and very light sharpening,
  • TMPGEnc for encoding, and
  • DVD Lab for authoring.

puggo grande official website
originaltrilogy.com forum topic

puggoscreens1.jpg

snapshot20090903165418.jpg

NTSC DVD5 contents:

• transfer of all 3 (3 reels for episode 4) Star Wars 16mm reels
  • special bonus feature narrated by Puggo himself on the restoration process
  • public safety announcement for children's vaccinations by C3PO and R2D2

Just curious but is the film shown as a whole or once one reel is done does it bring you back to the menu to select the next one?

The three reels are separate videos, and you can see from the main menu that you can start at any of them, BUT he has the DVD set up so they play after each other. So whatever reel you select, they will play to the end. No continual button hitting required 8)

Back
Top Bottom