• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

PSYCHO: The Roger Ebert Cut

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Roger Ebert once wrote...
"For thoughtful viewers, however, an equal surprise is still waiting. That is the mystery of why Hitchcock marred the ending of a masterpiece with a sequence that is grotesquely out of place. After the murders have been solved, there is an inexplicable scene during which a long-winded psychiatrist (Simon Oakland) lectures the assembled survivors on the causes of Norman's psychopathic behavior. This is an anticlimax taken almost to the point of parody.
If I were bold enough to reedit Hitchcock's film, I would include only the doctor's first explanation of Norman's dual personality: "Norman Bates no longer exists. He only half existed to begin with. And now, the other half has taken over, probably for all time." Then I would cut out everything else the psychiatrist says, and cut to the shots of Norman wrapped in the blanket while his mother's voice speaks ("It's sad when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son..."). Those edits, I submit, would have made "Psycho" very nearly perfect. I have never encountered a single convincing defense of the psychiatric blather."

Well, I am bold enough to reedit Hitchcock's film. So here it is.

what kind of fanedit: True Fanedit
tagline: What would Roger Cut?
original film name: Psycho
new film name: Psycho (The Roger Ebert Cut)
edition: Psycho (Special Edition) (Universal Legacy Series)
film studio name: Universal
edit crew name: stomachworm
Date Original Film Was Released: 1960
Date Edit Was Released: Feb. 6, 2009
Original Runtime:
New Runtime:
Amount of time Cut/Added: approximately 5 minutes
Cuts removed/added/extended: Cut 1 scene
Fanedit details: SL NTSC DVD
Your intention for this fanedit: To do a fanedit based on film critic Roger Ebert's idea.
Your way to achieve your intention: Cut the scene that Ebert spoke of.
Additional Comment:
Time needed for the edition: 1 hour
persons involved: stomachworm
Additional information links:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 10353/1023

cover art by boon23 (download here)
3D_boon23_psycho_REC.jpg

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW! Sweet, Stomachworm! And a great cover Boon.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have watched this and I think Roger Ebert is right. There is really no loss at all with the psychiatrist's babbling removed, actually the tension is improved by this.
Now this is of course not a very creative fanedit, but the concept is just cool. Thank you, stomachworm, for just doing it and really being bold enough to make this see the light of the day.
As for the cut: the transition used feels a tiny bit out of place. A hard cut would have worked better IMO. Still, nice job. The new title was included ok, but not fittingly to the intro style. It works though.
No menus, just some intro scenes before the movie starts is a bit weak for presentation. Since it is a full DVD, I would have loved some more.

Ratings:
concept: 5 stars
editing job: 3 stars
entertainment: 5 stars
presentation: 2 stars

overall: a solid 4 from me.

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's that supposed to be on the back...the blood going down the drain?

ohmss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Erm, if this qualifies then will my Dr. No edit return?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no. This qualifies because it is a significant change AND a project idea by the most feared film critic in the world. It's just a cool project.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ziz said:
What's that supposed to be on the back...the blood going down the drain?

Yes, it's based on the cover of a soundtrack album for the film.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, will it get an entry on the main fanedit.org site? :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is now available via RS on lintalk.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yet another one Rapidshare killed off...

EDIT: Sorry. Still, I can't find such a thread. Or have the rules changed and is starting threads to report offline links no longer allowed?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Often the best bet is to post in the edit thread, which you have done here, so I'm not sure why you are apologizing. But you could also try here:
http://www.fanedit.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?216-The-Missing-Ones
I posted it on the Missing Ones section, it was reave who moved it here, and his name got lost when I added the apology (the featured "reason for editing" is his). Hence my question about rules maybe no longer allowing new Missing Ones threads.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thing is: the entire thread needs to be moved to the missing section if a fanedit is missing. Reave added your post to the fanedit thread. The person to contact is blueyoda through the report button on fanedit.info, since this is not about the fanedit, but download links. From what I know ALL things regarding links are dealt with on fanedit.info and nowhere else.

supermandan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The seeming discord at the end of Psycho, the pyschologist's ramble, is not truly an ending but a set-up for the Norman/mother VO right at the very end where s/he says that he wouldn't hurt a fly. This is the industrial age, plus the counter-age of romanticism, classical values of right and wrong, good vs. evil, have long since been usurped, twisted, confused, as we human beings become ever more removed from nature. The psychosis that results is reflected in how Hitchcock ended his film. Roger Ebert may not have liked this ending, yet Hitchcock wasn't called the Master for nothing. Every shot, every scene, every sequence has its place.

tigermask1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Roger Ebert once wrote...
"For thoughtful viewers, however, an equal surprise is still waiting. That is the mystery of why Hitchcock marred the ending of a masterpiece with a sequence that is grotesquely out of place. After the murders have been solved, there is an inexplicable scene during which a long-winded psychiatrist (Simon Oakland) lectures the assembled survivors on the causes of Norman's psychopathic behavior. This is an anticlimax taken almost to the point of parody.
If I were bold enough to reedit Hitchcock's film, I would include only the doctor's first explanation of Norman's dual personality: "Norman Bates no longer exists. He only half existed to begin with. And now, the other half has taken over, probably for all time." Then I would cut out everything else the psychiatrist says, and cut to the shots of Norman wrapped in the blanket while his mother's voice speaks ("It's sad when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son..."). Those edits, I submit, would have made "Psycho" very nearly perfect. I have never encountered a single convincing defense of the psychiatric blather."

Well, I am bold enough to reedit Hitchcock's film. So here it is.

what kind of fanedit: True Fanedit
tagline: What would Roger Cut?
original film name: Psycho
new film name: Psycho (The Roger Ebert Cut)
edition: Psycho (Special Edition) (Universal Legacy Series)
film studio name: Universal
edit crew name: stomachworm
Date Original Film Was Released: 1960
Date Edit Was Released: Feb. 6, 2009
Original Runtime:
New Runtime:
Amount of time Cut/Added: approximately 5 minutes
Cuts removed/added/extended: Cut 1 scene
Fanedit details: SL NTSC DVD
Your intention for this fanedit: To do a fanedit based on film critic Roger Ebert's idea.
Your way to achieve your intention: Cut the scene that Ebert spoke of.
Additional Comment:
Time needed for the edition: 1 hour
persons involved: stomachworm
Additional information links:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 10353/1023

cover art by boon23 (download here)
3D_boon23_psycho_REC.jpg

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info
any change i could a link to this please?

Top Bottom