• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Psycho - The Roger Ebert Cut v2

recordwrangler95

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my inaugural fan-edit, I'm going with a pretty simple one and attempting to recreate the decade-old "Psycho: The Roger Ebert Cut" by Stomachworm, which I've attempted to locate with no luck. The original edit was, of course, based on Roger Ebert's notion that the "psychiatric blather" at the denouement of the film slowed down the proceedings and patronized the audience. While this late-in-the-game exposition might have mollified the audiences (and censors) in 1960, it's painful to sit through as a modern viewer.

On reading the reviews for Stomachworm's edition, it sounds as if they used some kind of awkward transition to skip over the psychiatrist's blather and a title card to get to the scene with Norman/Mother in the squad room. Instead, I've opted to snip from the survivors' reactions right to the psychiatrist as he lights up a cigarette and the door opens, hopefully making it a seamless transition.

After this edit, I've got a likewise minor-but-impactful edit of Vertigo I'm eager to share as well. Looking forward to submitting this one in the meantime and seeing what the IFDB academy thinks of it!

Poster art

Last edited:
Sounds amazing. I’ll be checking back to watch this. An interesting take on one my all time favorites

After this edit, I've got a likewise minor-but-impactful edit of Vertigo I'm eager to share as well.
I think I can guess what that will be (cutting Judy writing the letter). It has long been subject of debate among Hitchcock fans whether revealing the key of the whole mystery at that spot hurts or enhances. It will be interesting to see how the film plays without it.

I think I can guess what that will be (cutting Judy writing the letter). It has long been subject of debate among Hitchcock fans whether revealing the key of the whole mystery at that spot hurts or enhances. It will be interesting to see how the film plays without it.
You got it. I took a crack at it but I think it needs a bit more massaging in the final moments. Reading Hitchcock/Truffaut, I learned that not only did the source novel not reveal the twist either, but Hitch's collaborators on the movie all pleaded with him not to make the change; he ultimately came down on the side of "suspense over surprise."

Anyway, after that one I've got a tweak I want to make to Stage Fright too, but I'm getting way ahead of myself... :)

It hurts it IMO. Also been something I've considered changing in an edit.

Back
Top Bottom