• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Prospect: Glass Aventine

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
poster-candidate-2.png

Prospect is an extraordinary movie, in my opinion. It started as a Kickstarter short that made its way to SXSW 2014, and on the back of that was funded as a feature length movie. After airing at SXSW 2018 it found a distribution deal and made its way to theatres. Stuffed to the brim with a warehouse-worth of props made by friends and family in record time, and featuring a pitch-perfect performance by newcomer Sophie Thatcher ("The Book of Boba Fett", "Yellowjackets"), it was a big hit for me. Pedro Pascal hadn't yet had his "moment" but he's a joy to behold here*, and I'm sure if his visor wasn't in the way, he'd be chewing the foliage with wild abandon.

The music is serviceable. The score paints all the right textures, and the curated songs evoke just the right amount of otherworldliness, but ever since I saw it for the first time, (and the second, and the third), I've felt the score was just a bit one-note and missing some of that additional interest one might find in a movie with a bigger budget.

Fast forward four years and you'll find me sitting in my basement absolutely blown away by Danish singer/songwriter Agnes Obel. Her music was a random find for me, and I quickly purchased four of her albums. And then I'm at work, coding away, and something clicks. I start thinking of Prospect again. Some test-fits later and I'm convinced: Agnes Obel will elevate this movie. I hope you agree.

This a partial rescore of Prospect (2018) using three albums from the incredible Agnes Obel:
  • Aventine (2013)
  • Citizen of Glass (2016)
  • Myopia (2020)
Here is a music sample from Citizen of Glass ("Familiar"):

I've made several minor trims to aid the rescoring effort and I've bolstered the soundscape in several ways. Most of the scenes required a full rebuild of the soundscape. You should find the Green Moon of Bakhroma is now more full and teeming with alien life. My cats contributed to the effort.

These are the musical selections, with timestamps showing where the song appears.
  • 00:01:00 - Fuel to Fire
  • 00:14:00 - Familiar
  • 00:20:00 - Roscian
  • 00:33:30 - The Curse
  • 00:37:45 - Into My Blood (Carina Round!) <--- subtly corrupted to sound a little alien
  • 00:46:17 - Stretch Your Eyes
  • 00:57:10 - Parliament of Owls
  • 01:04:00 - Red Virgin Soil
  • 01:10:00 - Fivefold
  • 01:32:00 - Aventine
This edit also features a revised grade for all exterior shots. Yellows, oranges, and browns are enhanced, and the image has a touch more depth. I felt the original was a little washed out.

Before
g1b-000000.png

After
g1a-000000.png

Before
g5b-000000.png

After
g5a-000000.png

Before
g4b-000000.png

After
g4a-000000.png

---------
*If your first impression in 2018 was just some a random guy channeling Mal Reynolds from Firefly, you weren't alone. Now, I can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try and do something with this shot:

landscape-000000.png

It's the only obvious greenscreen in the whole film, and for a movie that's 98% practical effects it stands out.

Not sure what I'll do yet. The tableaux is important, so I don't want to just cut it out. I might composite a shot of the Hoh rainforest to downplay the planet in the background.

This is close.

If you're in a position to lend a critical ear to the workprint, please reach out.

I think I'm going to try and do something with this shot:

landscape-000000.png

It's the only obvious greenscreen in the whole film, and for a movie that's 98% practical effects it stands out.

Not sure what I'll do yet. The tableaux is important, so I don't want to just cut it out. I might composite a shot of the Hoh rainforest to downplay the planet in the background.
I've settled on a revised grade and a slow zoom to add some movement.

This has been submitted to IFDB.

------

Random trivia: This movie features two actors from The Wire and two actors from The Book of Boba Fett.

I'm going to jump off the cliff and watch this edit by my good friend. I've never even heard of the film or the Danish Bjork whose soundtrack @futon88 has incorporated.

I'm going to jump off the cliff and watch this edit by my good friend. I've never even heard of the film or the Danish Bjork whose soundtrack @futon88 has incorporated.
It's only 100 minutes, so you won't be falling for long.

Another bit of trivia I just learned (I swear): One of these songs was featured in HBO's The Last of Us...starring Pedro Pascal.

That's an uncanny coincidence unless there are more Danish Bjork fans besides you.

I thought I should share another music sample to help convey the tone. It's not all vocals.

This is the amputation scene with "Red Virgin Soil" from Citizen of Glass.

Password because spoilers.

(pw = fanedit)

Back
Top Bottom