• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Problems with some MOV files

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, let me preface this by saying this isn't specifically fan edit related, but still film/video related.

Anywho, a few weeks ago I filmed my friend's sister's wedding, using rented equipment. Now, because of the new job I'm doing I couldn't really afford to take too much time off, so I didn't really have time to familiarize myself with the camera as much as I should have. Regardless, the footage came out pretty good.

But. There's always a but.

The camera captured in MOV format. Not the end of the world. A fairly common format, and one that Vegas supports. So, I import some video and it imports only the audio. I verified several files in MPC and VLC, and they were working fine. So, just for kicks, I figured I'd try the videos in QuickTime, and wouldn't you know it, just audio, no video. QT came up with a message that there were some "components" missing, but was unhelpful determining what.

Long and short of it is, I found VLC's convert function which does produce files that Vegas can open. But it chokes on them, playback on the timeline is awful, and if I try to export into an AVI, it comes out looking like a baked potato, except not as tasty. And more pixelated.

So, I'm stuck. Any help would be supremely appreciated. I've included a sample of one of the clips in case anyone wants to take a look and see if there's something I'm missing. :)

Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!A8kVULaK!H_n8XlcmHOmogNa-1rXIXYeYP99vwVe6TnJvUMlNJtY

Oops, not sure how that happened. Correct link posted.

Hey [MENTION=4575]Aztek463[/MENTION] the clip plays fine from my end. Sound AND video.
I'm running MacBook Pro Retina 13” Late 2013 with OS X Yosemite, a 2,6Ghz i5 Processor and 16GB RAM.
Playing from QuickTime 10.4

[MENTION=7560]Kal-El[/MENTION] - is it possible that QT for Windows is the problem? I'm fully up to date (least I should be). Unfortunately, iMovie and FCP are off the table for me since, like I said, I'm on Windows.

You could convert your MOV(s) to lossless AVIs before editing in Vegas. FFmpegSource2 handles both video and audio. Make an AviSynth script.

Code:
FFmpegSource2("147G0256_01.MOV", atrack=-1)
ConverttoRGB(matrix="Rec709")

Open it in VirtualDub.

Video
Video→Compression..
Video→Fast recompress
File→Save as AVI

Audio
File→Save WAV

That is ultimately what I was aiming for, but I wasn't sure how to run MOV through VD. Will try it and report back the results. :)

If you're adventure with VD or AviSynth ends unhappily, maybe you could just ask a Final Cut user here to just convert it all for you?

I'd volunteer, but the only Apple device in my house is an iPad 2, which was issued to me from work... and I just use it for email.

I could, Wayne, but I have 40 gigs of video and I don't want to saddle that on anyone.

Hey [MENTION=4575]Aztek463[/MENTION],

I hate to say it here, because I've had just soo, soo many problems with VideoPad... BUT,

It's simple to use, easy to learn, has never had issues with file formats, and does exactly what I need to do and produces quality renders. You can download a trial for free, and use it to convert all of your files.

This is your clip in AVI format:

https://mega.co.nz/#!xwEmjYYC!ro-XBg1OyjPT8XxD4r8FDDEPgwwGdGfPs-6AeutHsQc

Here's a screenshot of my export settings:

free screen capture software]http://[/url]

Best of luck,
Wayne

Aztek463 said:
Kal-El - is it possible that QT for Windows is the problem? I'm fully up to date (least I should be). Unfortunately, iMovie and FCP are off the table for me since, like I said, I'm on Windows.

Since you're only getting audio and not video, I'd simply assume it's a video codec thing problem that Apple has on their laptops but Windows doesn't have on theirs. I haven't installed any codecs on my MBP so it has to be something native :) I'd go with the Captain and wayne and try converting it to a more Windows-friendly file format :)

I need to poke around with getting ffmpeg to work right with VirtualDub, but [MENTION=27007]wayne.workman2012[/MENTION] 's suggestion did the job. Vegas was still a little funny with the clip I exported (was kind of locking up when I was expanding the viewing frame while the video was playing, but I rarely do that so it won't be a problem). Phew. Thanks a bunch guys. You all rock. :D

Aztek463 said:
I need to poke around with getting ffmpeg to work right with VirtualDub...

In what way is FFMS2 not working right? It needs to make an index, and that can take a little time, depending on your system. Make sure that you have the latest version of it and AviSynth. (I doubt there's any problem between FFMS2 and VirtualDub, which is only previewing the result.)

I installes the ffmpeg plugin for VDub, but it wasn't quite reading it properly. I'm not that great with writing scripts, so I probably ballsed up there. Unless I misunderstood something, which is equally likely.

You don't need the plugin for VirtualDub. You need FFMS2 itself. Make sure that you place ffms2.dll and ffms2.avsi in your AviSynth plugins directory. That should do it. It's worth persevering with this because FFMS2 is a useful tool.

Back
Top Bottom