• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Problem loading VOB file into Sony Vegas

Ducktailjiver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys ,
I ripped a vob file of Star Trek the motion picture (about 7 gig) using dvdfab as a vob file. I tried inserting it in vegas and im only getting the first part of the movie (the intro music) ans then it stops. Im trying to do my first edit and am really new to this stuff. any help would be great.

thanks

George

I see well would you be so kind as to give me a quick lesson on what program to use to rip a dvd lossless ..thanks

If I'm understanding you right, it sounds like the VOB you've got is actually just part of a decrypted copy of the DVD itself, in a container that Vegas (and,to be honest, most good editora) won't play nicely with.
What I'd do in this situation:
1) Using your DVD editing tool of choice, create a DVD iso image of the decrypted DVD.
2) Mount this ISo as a virtual DVD. Using DVDDecrypter or something like it, extract the videostream for the film as an m2v file. Extract the audiostream as an ac3 file.
3) If lossless quality is desired, open the m2v file in VirtualDub, change it to its natural aspect ratio and export it as a Lagarith lossless AVI. This will be somewhere between 30 and 50GB depending on the film.
4) Using Audacity or something like it, split the AC3 file into 4 different files - two stereo files for the front and rear channels, and two mono files for the centre and bass channels. Export these as wavs.
5) Import these into your editor and start working on your project.

Hope this helps :)

If he has the VIDEO_TS folder (containing the VOBs) already on his machine, there is no need to create an ISO and go through an extra step. In the first link I provided above, boon23 explains how to get the m2v and AC3 file directly from the VIDEO-TS folder using PGC-Demux.

Those are elementary video (m2v) and audio (ac3) streams. If you want to try to edit the MPG format directly just 'mux' those streams into an MPG container. There are many muxing programs. Here is one.

Follow boon23's steps if you want to convert it to a lossless AVI. Everything is laid out in those instructions. Just take it one step at a time.

Hadn't realised PGCDemux could be used that way, useful to know for future reference :)

That One Guy said:
Hadn't realised PGCDemux could be used that way, useful to know for future reference :)

yeah, it's a very handy tool for getting elementary streams directly out of a DVD folder. You just select the IFO set, and choose the video you want from the dropdown. Every editor working with DVD should have it in their arsenal of tools

Holy crud..all I wanted to do was trim a few scenes in a few movies (and add some deleted scenes back in )...didnt realize it would entail so much....wow

Instead of all the converting from a vob file or and iso cant I just rip the dvd in high quality using one program that I can then edit in vegas?

Fanediting involves work... and time. A half-assed commitment will produce a half-assed result....
Embrace the challenge, get to know how things work, do it properly the first time round - and enjoy this crazy hobby!

Here's a trick I use. I'll caution you that this will not work in all cases. However, it does work very well for me most of the time. Rip the DVD with DVDshrink or something similar. Figure out which set of vobs contains the footage you want - usually the vts01_X series. Find the associated .ifo file with that series, and import that into vegas. If all goes to plan, you can then edit the footage without any of the quirks that come with importing vobs. Note that you'll still need to figure out the right resampling, ivtc, and deinterlacing settings based on how the movie was authored. And some - usually ones with high bitrates - just go berserk and do not work with this method. Audio can also be tricky. Unless you're working with traditional stereo, you'll have to convert or seperate the 5.1 mix with besplit, etc, and sync it with the video. But I still prefer the simplicity and lack of recompression this method provides.

Back
Top Bottom