• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Priest reciting Christian burial needed

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need the sound of a male Priest reciting a Christian burial litany in English with a European accent. I'd consider latin too if English wasn't available. The Lord's prayer would work also. It also needs to sound vaguely like it's an open air recording. I can't find anything that isn't over a crackly microphone, or has the congregation chanting along or has that interior church echo.

Maybe somebody knows of site with prayers on it or a film that has a funereal without music etc?

btw I only need about 20-30 seconds worth and it's going to be a background things anyway.

Thanks in advance anybody that can help :)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Check out Waking Ned Devine or Four Weddings And A Funeral.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Or Revenge of the Pink Panther, when Clouseau attends his own funeral :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Erm yeah thanks guys ;-). I wasn't looking for a comedy version, especially not the comedy genius of Rowan Atkinson. Although I'm hoping the serious tone will be funny.

There must be a million films with funerals, if only I could think of one that I own.

Ahhh finally found the magic term to put into Google...

"Psalm 23"

If I can just find somebody reciting it in anything other than a Southern Baptist Preacher voice :-D.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Atkinson is a funny man, but he does not do the final funeral sequence -

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two versions:

1. Lost:

2. King David:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched that lost clip a few hours ago, shame it's got music and the wrong accent (Ditto the 2nd clip) because otherise it's great.

FYI, I need this clip for my Brothers Grimm edit. In the background of one shot a priest (Who is reading from the bible) is leading a couple of chefs to the guillotine for crimes against food. It would make Gilliam's macabre joke that little bit funnier to be able to hear him.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I'd consider latin too if English wasn't available.

When does the film take place? Catholic Masses and rites haven't been said primarily in Latin since the 1970s. While the Vatican II council updated the Mass and other things, the Vatican issued it (as it does everything) in Latin. However, performing it in the vernacular was henceforth allowed as an alternative. It just so happened that the alternative became the norm.

The original English translation was done in haste, and some of the English wasn't a precise translation of the Latin. Beginning with Advent 2011, a new revision of the English text of the Mass has been in use. Among other changes, "Et cum spiritu tuo" is now properly translated as "And with your spirit" (whereas, prior to 2011, it was "And also with you"). The Lord's Prayer remains the same.

However, with the use of Biblical quotes, it might be helpful to find someone speaking from a (the?) translation that the Roman Catholic Church actually uses. Unfortunately, I don't recall what that is.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
When does the film take place?

The early 19th century in French occupied Germany. So the priest is either French or German although everybody in the film speaks English, with or without an accent. So English or Latin, either would work as long as the speaker sounds vaguely European-ish. He's leading people to the Guillotine.

I'll upload a little bit of the clip with my new soundmix (but missing the priest), that would make things easier.

(Password: fanedit.org)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perhaps one of our French-speaking members could record what you are looking for? TMBTM or blueyoda, for example? Just a thought...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks all for the suggestions, I found a decent Latin recording of Psalm 23 (On YouTube). It's got a kind of slightly bored coldness which is perfect for the scene I think. Luckily I've arranged it so even without anybody speaking Latin, we all know that when the Priest says "Mortis" it's a bad thing for the people he's walking with. This is the whole deleted sequence finished and in context but skip to 2 minutes in to just hear the priest bit...

(Password: fanedit.org)

It was only a tiny thing ^ but for me it brings that whole shot alive and adds that sense of macabre that you get in a Gilliam movie :).

Again thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Top Bottom