• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Presumed Innocent (1990) = Was Justice Done?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Based on Scott Turow's novel "Presumed Innocent", adapted from its namesake movie (1990), and in anticipation of the same-named upcoming Apple+ mini series, "WAS JUSTICE DONE?" explores the question of justice, inside and outside of the law, in two versions.

"Presumed Innocent" director, Alan Pakula, had intended to change the movie's ending. He was going to cut Barbara's confession, until actress Bonnie Bedelia got ahold of an earlier draft that had the confession, and gave such a passionate reading of it that Pakula was convinced to keep it in. Whether accurate or apocryphal, it got me looking at the final act with different eyes: did any shots suggest that they were created with a different ending in mind? Yes! Next, could I (re-)construct that ending? Yes!

This fanedit, "Was Justice Done?", offers both that alternate ending (the Editor's Cut) and the original ending (the Straight Cut). Each version is 89 minutes (38' cut).

SPOILERS AHEAD !!! Read on if you've seen the film and know the ending. If not: get the film and watch it, then come back and continue reading.

Was Justice Done - cover.jpg

"Presumed Innocent" is one of the better courtroom dramas. Harrison Ford is excellent, Raul Julia is awesome, and Bonnie Bedelia knocks it out of the park (in the Straight Cut, see changes below). But the story takes too long and many moments have no stakes, in part because there is too little doubt whether or not Rusty is innocent.

Solutions:
- Faster pacing: cut 30+ minutes.
- Place viewer more in the action (as opposed to getting information after things have happened): 1) The murder victim starts out alive and Rusty's affair with her is ongoing. 2) Make the flashbacks less about information of the past, more about showing Rusty's continued obsession in the present.
- Trim several sub-plots: the re-election and the mathematics PhD don't raise the stakes for the main plot. Much of their screen-time is filler. Trim!
- Leave more doubt whether Rusty is guilty.
- Make the ending more uncomfortable. In the Straight Cut: add an epilogue that focuses on Rusty's conscience after the reveal. What does he do? How does life go on after that? In the Editor's Cut: will this be a secret that hangs over Rusty & Barbara's marriage forever? Will she trust him after this?

Timeline changes:
- Carolyn's affair with Raymond now happens before her affair with Rusty. That affair is ongoing when the movie starts and ends soon after. She's killed soon after that.
- In the Straight Cut, the missing glass is explained after the killer is revealed.

Main points for the change list:
- Cut opening voiceover. Add Warner Brothers usual melody over opening logo (Was silent, consistent with start of voiceover. That's cut, so the silence felt wrong).
- New opening scene: Rusty and Carolyn have sex in the office (taken from a now cut flashback later on). A faster pace to start the movie, and it shows Carolyn is alive. New opening credits play during this scene. FE is added and Raul Julia now has 2nd billing instead of 3rd (Dennehy's role is reduced).
- Family life trimmed for pacing and to free up a shot for later.
- Rusty's entry to his office is trimmed to free up shots for later.
- Insert shot of Raymond complaining about the upcoming election (taken from later).
- Straight into scene of Carolyn telling Rusty (in bed) to oust Raymond (taken from a now cut flashback).
- Cut ex-husband for pacing. It only served to describe Carolyn as manipulative, which is obvious already.
- Cut Rusty searching Carolyn's apartment.
- Cut Barbara's math professor interview. Minimize the PhD.
- Detective Lipranzer interviews Leon alone. He informs Rusty afterwards.
- Create two jumpcuts: one of Rusty upset at home on the couch, one (in Version B) of Barbara seeing the reveal. They work better without the cutaway shots that were there originally.
- Straight Cut: Cut Raymond asking Rusty to lead the investigation. Cut funeral. Cut coroner. Cut Rusty saying "I'm innocent" to Sandy and telling his wife about that.
- Editor's Cut: Trim (not cut) the funeral and coroner. Rework the final scenes to reveal the killer. Remove red blood from hammer in yardwork shot that is now placed after rinsing it (by desaturating the red on the hammer).

Here's the transition from opening credits (showing Rusty and Carolyn having sex in the office), into family time at the breakfast table. Don't you just want to slap Rusty across the face? What a cold-hearted cheat!

Both versions are ready for feedback. PM me if you want to preview the Straight Cut, the Editor's Cut, or both. đź‘Ť

I'm particularly interested in audio feedback. đź‘‚
I'm used to fanediting in 5.1, so this stereo movie has been an exhausting experience (there are no clean channels to pull any sounds from). The Presumed Innocent - Deluxe Edition soundtrack CD has been a lifesaver: I wouldn't have been able to make the 100+ cuts work without it.

Both versions run 89 minutes. There's 4 1/2 minutes different between the Straight Cut (Barbara did it) and the Editor's Cut (Rusty did it).

Here's the trailer. I did not make a distinction between the two versions, because I think it's more fun to not know which version you're watching.

This was one of my favorite Harrison Ford movies. This is very exciting! The idea of dual edits and different killers is an excellent idea.

Last edited:
Submitted!

I'm curious which version will be better liked: which killer do you prefer? :devilish:

Back
Top Bottom