• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

premiere pro video issues

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't figure out why I'm getting these video glitches and misplaced frames in premiere. It's only occurring for 2 videos (prometheus and the deleted scenes)

j06VOxq.png

ufsFEDx.png

I just ripped the bluray with makemkv then extracted the video to m2ts with tsmuxer as usual and when I play them in vlc player there are no problems. I even tried ripping it again and the same glitches occur in the same places when I open them in premiere. I also cleared the media caches several times. Rendering and exporting doesn't fix it either. Can anyone help me figure this out?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a similar problem ripping X men 3, weird glitches even after a fresh rip with makemkv. Try a different ripper tool, there's some kind of DRM that makemkv isn't fully neutralizing. That program worked for me for every other X-Men movie, I had to use a DVD Fab trial to rip X3. That handled the DRM just fine. It was a few years ago now, not sure about version numbers.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a similar problem ripping X men 3, weird glitches even after a fresh rip with makemkv. Try a different ripper tool, there's some kind of DRM that makemkv isn't fully neutralizing. That program worked for me for every other X-Men movie, I had to use a DVD Fab trial to rip X3. That handled the DRM just fine. It was a few years ago now, not sure about version numbers.
Thanks, I hadn't even considered that! I did just try converting the mkv to mp4 via handbrake to import into premiere which seemed to fix it. But as I understand it, this is a lossy process so not ideal. I'll try out a different ripper.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well @addiesin , I tried ripping using DVD Fab trial and came up with similar results. Unless you have another suggestion, I think I'll try to get the best quality encode I can from handbrake for now and continue editing.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would suggest doing a full BR backup of your disc instead of converting to MKV so you can cut tsMuxer out of the process. When you do a full backup you will have access to to original M2TS file sans copy protection (hopefully).

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've also had this issue when using MakeMKV for ripping some blu-rays, the playback is perfectly fine, but no matter how I load it into premiere (in mkv container or put in an mp4 container) the glitches still show. Only fix I found was to transcode before editing which really sucks, but if you use a visually lossless codec it's not really a big deal, it's just the file size is the issue.

If the back up disc function works for you Catferoze definitely update us here because that might be what I was looking for this whole time.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would suggest doing a full BR backup of your disc instead of converting to MKV so you can cut tsMuxer out of the process. When you do a full backup you will have access to to original M2TS file sans copy protection (hopefully).
No luck :(
thanks for the suggestions though
Only fix I found was to transcode before editing which really sucks, but if you use a visually lossless codec it's not really a big deal, it's just the file size is the issue.
how would I go about this?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I get these some times in Vegas after using MakeMKV. I think it might be the way the file is read in the container? The same glitched area will often disappear in my time line after I refresh Vegas.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You guys are using mkv files in Premiere?!?

will_poulter.jpg

I always just Handbrake it over to an MP4. and work with that. Often I'll create a low quality for editing, and a high quality final for file replacement, so I can be confident my frames will be EXACTLY the same, but it allows for easy editing during the creative process without taxing my machine.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You guys are using mkv files in Premiere?!?

will_poulter.jpg

I always just Handbrake it over to an MP4. and work with that. Often I'll create a low quality for editing, and a high quality final for file replacement, so I can be confident my frames will be EXACTLY the same, but it allows for easy editing during the creative process without taxing my machine.
Did you read the posts? I get the MKV then remux it into an MP4 and OP said he was working m2ts files.

The container isn’t the problem, it’s the h264 stream that is having errors when viewed in Premiere. h264 isn’t meant to be an editing codec, but anyways, to OP I use ffmpeg to convert it to DnxHD and i’ve compared the results before and after even zooming in, and I believe there’s no visible quality loss. The only problem is a 3 hour movie can turn into 200GB. Extremely inefficient for disc space but it’s worth it in the long run if you really care about quality. Plus you get the benefits of DNxHD being very fast to edit as that’s one of the purposes of the codec, and no glitches! I decided to just use an old external hard drive and throw all my giant source files on there, you can buy one pretty cheap. I recommend to get one with a fast transfer speed.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The container isn’t the problem, it’s the h264 stream that is having errors when viewed in Premiere. h264 isn’t meant to be an editing codec, but anyways, to OP I use ffmpeg to convert it to DnxHD and i’ve compared the results before and after even zooming in, and I believe there’s no visible quality loss. The only problem is a 3 hour movie can turn into 200GB. Extremely inefficient for disc space but it’s worth it in the long run if you really care about quality. Plus you get the benefits of DNxHD being very fast to edit as that’s one of the purposes of the codec, and no glitches! I decided to just use an old external hard drive and throw all my giant source files on there, you can buy one pretty cheap. I recommend to get one with a fast transfer speed.
I've seen ffmpeg recommended on some of the guides on the forum but haven't used it yet. Fortunately I have plenty of disc space, so I'll try it out.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no matter how I load it into premiere (in mkv container or put in an mp4 container)

Wow. I saw that part but clearly I misunderstood your comment. Didn't mean to offend ya. Carry on.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen ffmpeg recommended on some of the guides on the forum but haven't used it yet. Fortunately I have plenty of disc space, so I'll try it out.
So this is what I have had to do to one of my projects to get around this error. I transcode the glitchy AVC h264 into DNXHR HQ (from my experience it is visually lossless and we're working with 1080p 8 bit Blu-Ray footage, so not using not DNxHR 444)

Before you do anything, I use MKVToolNix to strip away other language audio tracks and the lower quality tracks, so all I have is an MKV and then a separate audio file. I load the audio into Audacity and export each track as a mono 24 bit wav. You can find tutorials on how to set up a 5.1 mix in Premiere with 6 wav track pretty easily. The audio is easy, now for the video, I use this command:

ffmpeg -i NAME.mkv -c:v dnxhd -profile:v dnxhr_hq -pix_fmt yuv422p -an OUTPUT.mxf

Prepare to take a 25 GB movie and turn it into 100+ GB. It absolutely sucks, but if you have a spare empty external hard drive you can just throw it in there so your PC doesn't run out of space. When editing DNxHR is extremely efficient and there's no lag because it's meant to be used for editing, so that's also great.

Of course I would love to just keep the original h264 and edit that directly, but I never could get it to work. I tried every fix in the book for days, I tried multiple versions of premiere, nothing ever worked.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So this is what I have had to do to one of my projects to get around this error. I transcode the glitchy AVC h264 into DNXHR HQ (from my experience it is visually lossless and we're working with 1080p 8 bit Blu-Ray footage, so not using not DNxHR 444)

Before you do anything, I use MKVToolNix to strip away other language audio tracks and the lower quality tracks, so all I have is an MKV and then a separate audio file. I load the audio into Audacity and export each track as a mono 24 bit wav. You can find tutorials on how to set up a 5.1 mix in Premiere with 6 wav track pretty easily. The audio is easy, now for the video, I use this command:

ffmpeg -i NAME.mkv -c:v dnxhd -profile:v dnxhr_hq -pix_fmt yuv422p -an OUTPUT.mxf

Prepare to take a 25 GB movie and turn it into 100+ GB. It absolutely sucks, but if you have a spare empty external hard drive you can just throw it in there so your PC doesn't run out of space. When editing DNxHR is extremely efficient and there's no lag because it's meant to be used for editing, so that's also great.

Of course I would love to just keep the original h264 and edit that directly, but I never could get it to work. I tried every fix in the book for days, I tried multiple versions of premiere, nothing ever worked.
This is perfect! I was just going to ask about the command because I had figured out most of it but wasn't sure what to do with the pixel format parameter. Thanks!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When in video issue doubt, give @Captain Khajiit a shout. Captain do you have any insights?
It seems that I'm too late to help out much. The glitches in the first post are decoding errors. Converting source files to an intermediate codec for editing is always best practice because it minimizes the chances of such errors, and it proved the solution here. DNXHR HQ is fine as long as you monitor the video's levels and gamma in case there is a shift after conversion/export.

Last edited:

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
anyone know hot to fix premiere pro encoding?
it was 2 pass vbr and it ends but is stuck right at the end of the encode
it says remaining 0.00 percent

MatrixMan117

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't figure out why I'm getting these video glitches and misplaced frames in premiere. It's only occurring for 2 videos (prometheus and the deleted scenes)

j06VOxq.png

ufsFEDx.png

I just ripped the bluray with makemkv then extracted the video to m2ts with tsmuxer as usual and when I play them in vlc player there are no problems. I even tried ripping it again and the same glitches occur in the same places when I open them in premiere. I also cleared the media caches several times. Rendering and exporting doesn't fix it either. Can anyone help me figure this out?
In case you want to use another application : One other software which does work really well is Clip-champ. Easy to use and not over complicated at all.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
anyone know hot to fix premiere pro encoding?
it was 2 pass vbr and it ends but is stuck right at the end of the encode
it says remaining 0.00 percent
Not the issue but first: use CBR and not VBR. VBR should be retired.

How long have you let it sit at 0%? How big will your final file be? It's quite possible the video is now being muxed and just needs time. When I do a render and it's a 2-hr flick it can take an additional 20-30 min. sitting at 0%. You might just need to give it time.

Top Bottom