• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

PREDATOR: Rough Beast

I'm planning on downloading it this week :)

I'm planning on downloading it this week
Now if that's not in the spirit of Christmas, i don't know what is.
Ho, Ho, ho. T-Hope
predatormu7.jpg

Ok, I kinda liked predator2 but it had some stupid scenes. So what did I think about this edit:

Jorge did a fantastic job and made the movie more enjoyable. I my opinion the predator is now a lot more of a killing machine who likes to hunt! it really is a rough beast!
I liked the mixing of footage from AvP and especially at the end,wow! I hope you will make the sequel!

All in all a great edit which I can recommend to everybody !

VIDEO QUALITY
4 of 5. Cuts are not noticable, and the picture is nice. At the end of the film ( red scenes) the video does some wierd strobing pixel things!
AUDIO QUALITY
5 of 5. No problems with these.

THE DVD
4 of 5. We get :
-a great video clip for Jorge himself
-trailers
-main menu

OVERALL
4 of 5.
A great edit . Thanks a lot Jorge

kurtos my man! thank you very much!
Yes, depending on AvP 2, i hope to continue the story.

Wow!
Jorge has done it again!

He has made the UNWATCHABLE actually watchable!

The original Predator is one of my favorite action movies (definitely my favorite Swartzenegger movie--maybe even surpassing the Terminator series) of all time. While Predator 2 for me is at the exact opposite end of the spectrum, I always hated this movie. There were some glimmer of interesting moments, but for the most part the original sequel was a loud, convoluted mess. Whenever it is on, I find it impossible to sit through it in one complete sitting. It both bores and annoys me to no end.

Now here comes Jorge's edit. He has expertly culled the movie down to its absolute bare essence. Its Danny Glover vs. Predator! Its that simple. Most of the distracting and pointless subplots have been eliminated, the over the top vulgar language has been removed, and the weak supporting characters have been cut back to the bare bones. And it works really well!

I thought the addition of the AvP footage and ending the movie on a cliffhanger was an interesting and clever choice. I did not find the different image quality distracting at all. I actually found it complimented the different story locations. Kind of reminds me of how they used 3 different lighting techinques for the 3 different plots in the movie TRAFFIC.

I mentioned before how in the original sequel there were glimmers of moments I really enjoyed and I noticed one such moment Jorge cut out that IMO I would have left in. I believe it is after the subway scene, and it is made clear the Predator purposely spared the Maria Alonso character because she was pregnant. I thought this added a very interesting layer of character to the Predator and added to the story. Personnally, I would have liked to have seen this scene remain in the edit.

Otherwise, I missed nothing else cut. The story now builds in a linear break neck pace to the ulitimate showdown between Glover and Predator. This is still not a great movie IMO, but Jorges edit has definitely made it a more enjoyable entertaining movie!

Technically, it is pretty close to a flawless edit. I too noticed the odd pixilating near the end during the spaceship scene, but it was short lived and not distracting. I really, really loved the new opening credits. KUDOS!

So all in all, another fantastic edit by Jorge. If you are a Predator fan, I definitely recommend it! :)

Thank you BB. Always look forward to your reviews.
And yes, you're right. The Maria Conchita Alonso/Predator moment is gone.
She is a great actor but her role as token latino policewoman (along with pretty much every fine actor in this film) left much to be desire.
And as i had already reduce her part, it didnt make sense to let that moment survive the cuts.
And its funny that you mentioned TRAFFIC. Its one of the inspirations for tinting ROUGH BEAST like I did. well done.

Wow, the tinting actually looks really good. It conveys a nice 'global warming' feel, which I really liked.

I didn't watch the fanedit, but I skimmed through it. The chipping away of the film makes for a few jarring jump cuts...which may only be jarring because I have seen the movie probably a dozen times. The edit seems to do something similar to what I tried to achieve with my (soon to be abandoned) fanedit, only it takes it to a new degree. Cutting the swearing, Busey, footage of the Predator, etc. The reason is, aside from a few cringe-worthy parts...I actually liked Predator 2. I DLed this fanedit not because I was looking for an improved version, but because I was simply curious. I don't really like the AVP parts. It just feels too out of place to me...probably, again...because I know the movie too well. You do get points for trying something new, though. It was an interesting concept.

I also really liked the way you cut the opening street battle...other than one cut where Danny (Reuben Blades) moves from Point A to Point B way too fast. Other than that, it was great. Even me, a fan of the original movie, agrees that the opening street battle was a mess. Despite all the guns, explosions, etc...it was boring. Probably in the way in which it was shot and edited. You made the right choice by cutting it down, thus making it flow better. I also like that you cut Harrigan's line before shotgunning the gang members to death. I did the same exact thing in my edit. It makes no sense for him to announce his presence there and open himself up to getting shot. Also, the way in which you cut out the stupid sweatshop part when they enter the building. I tried to cut it, but couldn't...the insertion of that one shot helped. It was still a little jarring, but given what you had to work with...a nice bit of editing. I got to the rooftop scene and then started jumping around, so I can't really comment much further.

One question: How did you do that shot of the Predator ship heading towards Earth? Did you somehow alter the ship from the original movie's opening shot with CG or something? I was really surprised when it zoomed by, as I was expecting stock footage from the first movie then then the ship was actually a different design!

For concept, design, editing, etc...I give this edit high grades. It's just personal preference and nostalgic value that I don't agree with a lot of the cuts that were made. At any rate, I applaud you, Jorge.

Ive watched it now and i must say that
this was by far the best edit i ever saw of this movie, I loved predator 1, hated predator 2...until now...

but i its 3 things with this edit that i cant let go of,
first of all when predator jumps down the elevator and Danny Glover follow him in the elevator-cables, danny screams : "can someone stop the elevator" totally without reason...i hate that line...

and the new ending was a bit out of the movie for me, maybe if there was a shot at the predators arm with the self-destruction activated then faded to a big explosion after that and then fade to black or something it would have worked... (i love dark endings)

And then there is some weird disturbing vhs-crap in the picture for about 30 seconds or so at approx 53 minutes into the movie, like a out of shape silly homemade shake-effect... ThrowgnCpr describes it best, looks like he have noticed it 2...

Otherwise this edit is brilliant...
fast paced cuts that really work, no sound-glitches and so on....nice...

This is in response to beckman's question.
One of my favorite things about PREDATOR was the opening shot:
Space, then in the distance... a ship. It zooms past and jettisons something that lands on earth.
roughbeast1md3.jpg

I wanted ROUGH BEAST to have the same feel (in honor of the original) but different.
Since my budget was 0 my only option was to use some creativity.
So a little HORIZONTAL FLIP then add a little VERTICAL FLIP and voila:
A class B Predator ship is now heading towards the northern hemisphere.
simple but effective. And i hoped it would thrill the discerning eye.
roughbeast2bn9.jpg

This shot was definetly in honor of all those PREDATOR II fans that really new the movie.
I wanted them to sit up and pay attention.

Wow, the tinting actually looks really good. It conveys a nice 'global warming' feel, which I really liked.
Yeah, i liked it so much I wished there had been some more daylight footage but most of P2 happens at night.
the night time gets tinted as well to give a hotter feel to it.

I also really liked the way you cut the opening street battle.
That opening battle scene is when I quickly realised that P2 was... not that good.
Its cartoony action really derailed the movie for me and it never recovered. so I'm glad you noticed.

So give the film a proper chance beckman. watch it with someone who's never seen it or hasnt in a while. there is a bit of doodoocaca at the end for 30 secs (bad encoding) but its still worth the ride.

I might do that. I'll have to get my hands on the DVD, I just DLed the MP4 to preview it, but I am interested to actually watch the whole thing now.

The Original: Predator II is about as bad as derivative filmmaking gets. It is positively rife with thoughtless amplification of countless previous cliches. It?s almost a burlesque of the action film. One might think that was their intent if not for the complete absence of wit. As for Danny Glover, I have to go against the grain and say that I liked that bit of casting. He?s a nice against-type choice (especially considering what was available at the time--Van Damme? Seagal? Lundgren? Shudder!) I like his weary, creaky, Harrison Ford-eque type of hero. All that said, I haven?t watched the film straight through in a long time.

This Concept: This is a standard snatch and grab of a film?s decent bits, but the colorization was inspired, and really helped to kill the neon bubblegum of the original. However, at some points, on my TV at least, the saturation of the new colors went a little too far. (I?m sorry, I can?t remember specific scenes.) The inclusion of the AvP scenes was ambitious, but they were too marginal as cutaways. A few more, or a bit longer would?ve been much better. Still, cool idea. 4 out of 5 for dredging up something relatively new and worthy to play with.

The Audio/ Visual: The audio was nearly flawless, but I did find the music a little insistent at times. Video looked great 4.5 out of 5.

The Storytelling: I was let down with the ending. I kinda liked the Danny-covered-in-dust ending of the original (even if a giant Predator ship under L.A. is Uwe Boll-level silliness). At the very least, it would?ve been nice to see Danny alive. What?s more, the AvP insert at the end went on too long considering we?re at the climax of Predator 2, no matter how you slice it. I really liked the pacing at the beginning, however, and was well glad to be rid of the ?characterizations?, if I may use the term so casually. The pacing a little later on was more hit and miss. 3.5 out of 5 for going a bit too far (for my taste).

The Presentation: I loved the presentation. 5 out of 5.

Overall: Very strong vision and well done. 4 out of 5.

Will I Keep It In My Collection?: Yes, I did enjoy watching it enough to overlook the (slight) feeling of storytelling vertigo.

4 out of 5.

Great things: colorization, whip snap editing, a little AvP sidebar.

Not so great: took out a little too much, stifled the ending too much.

thank you so much Type12point.
I am curious about your take on the stifled ending and what you would put back... :)

I was requested to put my review from elsewhere here, and rightly so:

The Original: Predator II is about as bad as derivative filmmaking gets. It is positively rife with thoughtless amplification of countless previous cliches. It?s almost a burlesque of the action film. One might think that was their intent if not for the complete absence of wit. As for Danny Glover, I have to go against the grain and say that I liked that bit of casting. He?s a nice against-type choice (especially considering what was available at the time--Van Damme? Seagal? Lundgren? Shudder!) I like his weary, creaky, Harrison Ford-eque type of hero. All that said, I haven?t watched the film straight through in a long time.

This Concept: This is a standard snatch and grab of a film?s decent bits, but the colorization was inspired, and really helped to kill the neon bubblegum of the original. However, at some points, on my TV at least, the saturation of the new colors went a little too far. (I?m sorry, I can?t remember specific scenes.) The inclusion of the AvP scenes was ambitious, but they were too marginal as cutaways. A few more, or a bit longer would?ve been much better. Still, cool idea. 4 out of 5 for dredging up something relatively new and worthy to play with.

The Audio/ Visual: The audio was nearly flawless, but I did find the music a little insistent at times. Video looked great 4.5 out of 5.

The Storytelling: I was let down with the ending. I kinda liked the Danny-covered-in-dust ending of the original (even if a giant Predator ship under L.A. is Uwe Boll-level silliness). At the very least, it would?ve been nice to see Danny alive. What?s more, the AvP insert at the end went on too long considering we?re at the climax of Predator 2, no matter how you slice it. I really liked the pacing at the beginning, however, and was well glad to be rid of the ?characterizations?, if I may use the term so casually. The pacing a little later on was more hit and miss. 3.5 out of 5 for going a bit too far (for my taste).

The Presentation: I loved the presentation. 5 out of 5.

Overall: Very strong vision and well done. 4 out of 5.

Will I Keep It In My Collection?: Yes, I did enjoy watching it enough to overlook the (slight) feeling of storytelling vertigo.

This Concept: This is a standard snatch and grab of a film?s decent bits, but the colorization was inspired, and really helped to kill the neon bubblegum of the original. However, at some points, on my TV at least, the saturation of the new colors went a little too far. (I?m sorry, I can?t remember specific scenes.)

Yes, guilty. I like my image contrasty and saturated.

The inclusion of the AvP scenes was ambitious, but they were too marginal as cutaways. A few more, or a bit longer would?ve been much better. Still, cool idea.

Thei dea was of a hint of a continuing story. I tried to use footage that didnt involve dilaogue or obvious stars. there werent many.

And did i mention i like the audio punchy? figures huh?

The Storytelling: I was let down with the ending. I kinda liked the Danny-covered-in-dust ending of the original (even if a giant Predator ship under L.A. is Uwe Boll-level silliness). At the very least, it would?ve been nice to see Danny alive.

I didnt like the danny-covered-in-ash scene. it was too much like having Danny in white face. also i thought the story should follow the predators instead. this was before AvP2 was released and I was hoping to continue that tale. have changed my mind since.

What?s more, the AvP insert at the end went on too long considering we?re at the climax of Predator 2, no matter how you slice it.
too long for an action beat? oh well. I talked to boon way back when i was editing and he suggested grabbing danny from SAW, as an old, defeated cop. but I thought the ending would have been too dark.
i felt the movie serial ending idea was more in fitting with the genre.
thinking about it, i should have put danny right after the credits. just popping out of the earth. oh well.
thanks and cheers.

Back
Top Bottom