• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

POTC: Heart Of The Maelstrom

You mean cropping and zooming? Yeah it's a good method, especially if you're editing in 1080p you won't lose as much quality.

From what I understand, magnification/blow up wasn't the same as Zoom, at least in Avid Media Composer. I couldn't spot any quality loss in the process.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look.

I'm now starting the audio mix, so expect to take another month or two.
From my initial post in July. Best laid plans, and all that. Sorry for a lack of updates on this.

I have a good news/bad news situation.

The good news is the sound mix is done. Real life meant it took a bit longer than hoped, but I got there in the end. The Tia Dalma scene had another couple of tweaks, I think it came out okay.

The bad news is that the sound files have a problem. As I worked through the project and reached the climax battle, with all the rain and swords and cannons and thunder, I started noticing a crackle in the sound, like a computer hard drive running. At first I though it was just one file, and not on the source, but it turns out it is the source files as well. I'm certain the crackle is a recent development, I can now hear it on the opening Disney fanfare, but have no idea what has happened (can SSDs get corrupted?).

So I have to solve this. I have a plan to rip the BRs again, with different software if need be, onto a different drive even. See if I can get clean tracks without the crackle. Then relink the new files. But this is new territory for me, so bare (bear?) with me. Any advice would be appreciated, too much advice and I'll open a thread in the technical forum :).

Thanks for your patience.

DSM2337 said:
The bad news is that the sound files have a problem.

So I have to solve this. I have a plan to rip the BRs again, with different software if need be, onto a different drive even. See if I can get clean tracks without the crackle. Then relink the new files. But this is new territory for me, so bare (bear?) with me.
So the sound issue was nothing to do with the hardware or software. It appears the H264 codec was causing it. Why? No idea. I re-ripped the discs as ProRes and pulled the sound from that and they came out crystal, clear as.

So a file swap later and the sound was fixed. Yay. Then Christmas happened.

So only now am I going through final checks. I found that the dialogue on some of the deleted scenes was so poorly recorded that it really stood out when I watched the whole thing. So a couple of deleted scenes that I had included are now removed (Will and Jack discussing the compass in DMC, and Tia Dalma and Barbossa discussing attacking Shipwreck Cove in AWE). A couple I've left as they were one or two lines and I figured I could get away with it.

It's so close now, can you smell it?

DSM2337 said:
Well, that would do it.

to be fair, neither is prores. Those are both lossy video codecs. What are you using to rip/convert the file? It is probably associating different audio codecs with 264 and prores, and that is why you are noticing an audio difference between the two. That, or you don't have the proper codecs installed on your machine.

I use Pavtube and the list of options is huge, and each has a video and audio option. Can't say I recall seeing an audio only rip option, but that may just be me not looking properly.

Hi all, hoping to have this ready soon. Here are the covers I've come up with. My skills are rudimental at best, so hope they don't stink too bad.
POTC_HOTM_DVD.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
POTC_HOTM_BR.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Covers look good, I like the front cover especially. I'd nitpick 3 things

1. Can you increase the font size on the spine? I know the title is long, but spine fonts usually are very tall.
2. Did you try it without the red border? Hard to picture it without, but I suspect it will still look great without it. Maybe the front pictures didn't look good just bumped up against each other and that's why you used the border? If you can blend the images that might be another option?
3. Your name isn't on there anywhere. It's completely appropriate to take credit for your work!

these don't really need to change, but if you didn't try them yet, its options.

RollWave said:
Covers look good, I like the front cover especially.
Thanks.
RollWave said:
1. Can you increase the font size on the spine? I know the title is long, but spine fonts usually are very tall.
I'll have a look, but I quite like giving the spine room to breath. But will try something bigger and see if I like it.
RollWave said:
2. Did you try it without the red border? Hard to picture it without, but I suspect it will still look great without it. Maybe the front pictures didn't look good just bumped up against each other and that's why you used the border? If you can blend the images that might be another option?
The red border is covering a multitude of sins, I'm afraid. But you're right in that primarily it is the two pictures abutted together that blur didn't really fix.
RollWave said:
3. Your name isn't on there anywhere. It's completely appropriate to take credit for your work!
It is on the spine. DSM2337. Someone said this about my Man Of Steel cover too, but I like the idea of it almost looking like a product code. :)

Heart Of The Maelstrom is now submitted to IFDB. PM me if you want details.

Can one of the admins move this thread to Fanedit Fixes/Mixes when you have a chance? Thanks.

2hrs 57minutes? Wow that's a tight length to get these two long and meandering movies down to. I'm really looking forward to watching this! :)

Thanks everyone who has reviewed this so far, great to hear your comments both positive and not so positive.

The sound does dip in quality in a few places. Most of these were deleted scenes that I included. The audio on the BR rip for these scenes was poor. I had intended to use more deleted scenes in the movie, but I didn't feel I could get away with how bad those scenes sounded. It appears I couldn't really get away with these either.

My skills with sound manipulation are not good. On my computer it sounded okay, on my AV setup it sounded passable. But I am aware it is of a different quality to the rest of the film.

The Tia Dalma scene is the only one where I played with the vocals I repurposed from Davey Jones locker. This was attempting to a) remove the background noise of the surf, and b) try and make the vocal sound like it came from inside a small room rather the in the open air of a beach. I must confess at certain points I'd tried so many variations I couldn't hear the forest for the trees.

As before, I got it as far as I could with it sounding passable on my own system. I apologise if it isn't up to scratch and hope it didn't mar the film experience too badly.

But the reviews in general were positive, so that makes me happy and thank you again for leaving them. It's much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom