• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Politically Correct: Can we discuss politics?

Can we discuss politics in a polite and respectful manner?

• I love my brothers and sisters faneditors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can try, but it could be hard

• Hey! When you're wrong, I'm gonna tell you about it!

• Shut the hell up!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thie was a Rogue thought that exploded:
Can we discuss politics and still be civil to each other?
I'm interested in it. I would specially love to hear from our brothers and sisters from remote parts of the world and their politics.
But the fear of any disagreement ending with labels like NAZI or FASCIST or COMMUNIST or IMPERIALIST feels me with dread.

This would be tough, but doable. I can get outspoken about my views at times, but consider myself a pretty civil person. Its always worth a try

very bad idea,but hey if you must,every darn forum I have ever been at these always turn ugly,and sometimes very ugly.

because it always turns into Country bashing and or President bashing,and I personally cannot accept either.

at one of the forums I am a MOD at the Admin deleted all Political discussion because of how it all transpired.

but you do what you feel you must do,some people just like to stir up shit,that is just how they were made.

just my opinion

sorry but I had to go with "Shut the Hell up!" no offense

hey T, I'm gonna take a guess that you're a democrat who listens to Obama. what do you think of Ron Paul?

political views are like arseholes. Everyones got one.

Poltics and religion are two things that always can never be discussed in a way that at least one person takes their ball and goes home.

NexPhr3ak0r said:

Poltics and religion are two things that always can never be discussed in a way that at least one person takes their ball and goes home.

exactly but some people just do not understand this.

good point Nex,I am sure you were at 1K when the crap went down there.

and just to make my self clear so there is NO confusion here,I am NOT saying KBM is a shit stirrer and can't understand this,just want to throw that out there so no one thinks I am bashing anyone,nothing was said yet that merrits it LOL.

but I do see someone else voted with me :)

dark jedi said:
NexPhr3ak0r said:

exactly but some people just do not understand this.

good point Nex,I am sure you were at 1K when the crap went down there.

1k went down over politics? sounds interesting. and i totally agree. soon somebody says that george bush is an asshole/antichrist/alcoholic and then he will be called hippie/negrolover/nazifascist and everybody is pissed.

but sometimes i like it when things go this way...

indeed, its just not worth the aggro in the end.

US Politics
1. Hillary Clinton is creepy. She will zapp you with her laaaaaaaazer teeth.
2. Ron Paul is creepy. He will eat you.
3. But I know that the majority of the electorate would rather vote for a white woman than a black man (Barack Obama), the only vaguely non-creepy candidate out there.

UK Politics
1. Nothing's happened. At all. Nothing. Since Blair left, absolutely nothing of any value has happened here.

"you suck, your ideas are stupid, and i hate you"

"no, you suck, your ideas are stupid, and i hate you"

i personally would like to veto this type of discussion on our forum... which is almost inevitably what political discussions would break down into. :)

No, you suck, YOUR ideas are stupid and I HATE YOU!!!!!

:p jk

i enjoy conversing about anything interesting - but i will let you know when i think you're an idiot. i also expect the same. it's the only way you'll learn anything.

And they all stink.
wow! what reaction! And have not heard from any peace and loveniks.
Can't we all just get along?
And DJ, I resent your implication that I... am... oh... wait... never mind.
I'm glad I didn't ask if its ok to torture.

While I enjoy learning about what others think in the political arena (hearing individuals' opinions is usually less depressing than finding out absolutely none of the candidates are without some form of evil relative to your own views) and can do it in an almost care free manner, I also realize that a lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm a real Independent. I can go either way, and I frequently do split across both sides. That kind of neutrality helps me avoid irrational emotion where logic should be the driving force.

But at the same time, I don't think this forum is the place to discuss these things. Not everybody is open minded (perhaps rightfully so - I know my method sometimes leads to indecision, which is just as bad as being wrong) and even if all of us ended up agreeing, we might scare off some lurkers.

If you want to start discussing though, I'll probably jump in.

This is one of those topics where people's true sides come out. If you are a civil person, you should be able to discuss this topic intelligently and with courtesy and respect. Anything else is stubborn and dogmatic. People have very strong political beliefs, but if you cant discuss it in an intelligent polite manner, then you are just evading the subject and ignoring what may or may not be true.

I say go for the topic. and if you think you cant handle it, stay out of it. Of course I have my opinions, but I am never going to attack someone for theirs. I have gotten into some nasty debates with my father on politics, and realized, he didn't want to talk about things, only insult the other side,
with no real grounds. I decided that i would just walk away from it, and not bring it up anymore. I think that this topic should be similar. It should be discussed if people want to discuss it, and if things aren't going the way you like it, GET OUT. Do not take (or give) offense.

Unless you are the politician in question, dont take things so damn personally.

...and KBM, you are mostly right in your comment way up there. I am on the left side of things, registered as a Dem, but in all reality I don't hold in a lot with the parties beliefs. I tend to go more toward green, but do not hold with any party. I think the 2-party system is fucking the USA right now. I vote for who I think will do best (or suck the least) No one right now is impressing me much.

You can discuss it, but please do it in its own topic.

I'm really not into politics. I think the politics in my country (Netherlands) are already fucked up.

Politics are fucked up everywhere, friend.

I haven't seen an informed, civil political debate on television in thirty years.

I haven't seen an informed, civil debate about ANYTHING with a polarizing nature on the internet, EVER.

notice you mentioned television. If you are from the USA (like me), the media is fucked up, and is for show and entertainment, NOT information. I cant speak for other countries. And the internet can be full of the same. If you have ever listened to public radio, then you will realize that civil discussions can exist!

Keep the TV for movies and entertainment. Get you news and politics elsewhere. Polite doesnt sell ratings

Back
Top Bottom