• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Playstation 4/Xbox One

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone else decided to make the jump to the next console generation? I picked up the Playstation 4 last week and so far, I'm really digging it. Not much in the way of games for the moment, but Assassin's Creed IV is awesome, and I hear Lego Marvel Superheroes is great too.

Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never been much of a console guy and much prefer PC. That said, I own a PS3 but that is because, at the time, it was the best and cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. Between PS4 and Xbox One I thought that the One has the most potential for what I was looking for, an all inclusive media entertainment center: DVR, tv tuner, game center, streamer. It looked very promising. But then they announced all the limitations for gamers and I balked. Although all that has been removed now who's to say they won't turn those "features" back on? No thanks. I can't trust MS after that.

Now I am very curious about the Steam Box and what Valve plans with that. It may be enough to get me to get into consoles, but only time will tell.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My feelings are almost entirely in line with Q2's. I have a ps3 because bluray and netflix are wonderful. I don't play games often, though I do enjoy my time when I do.

The difference for me is that next-gen consoles don't seem like much of an upgrade for my main activities. I'm already viewing my media in full HD with what I have. I was completely indifferent until hearing about MS's "features". Now I'm still not in the PS4 camp, if anything I'm just feeling anti-Xbox (for me, I don't care what other people get for their selves).

Honestly I just really enjoy new technology, the Ouya piqued my curiosity though not enough to see my wallet (since I already own an android device), and the Steam Machines look the most interesting out of the bunch.

Kind of funny, actually, I was considering buying a Wii U specifically for HD netflix (and "just in case" I want to play my Wii games again, since my Wii disc reader has burnt out) but now the Chromecast is out for 35 bucks and it can use my android phone as a "remote control", I think that's where my next purchase lies. It's really the coolest device out right now in my eyes(though admittedly not a gaming console and thus likely too off-topic).

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hyperkin's Retron 5 all the way. I miss Sega being in the mix, because they kept the scales tipped towards games being "family" accessible - a video game console used to sit in the living room as a family system, not hidden away in a teens bedroom. I'm so sick of every game being a first person shooter, or completely mature. Video games used to have such distinct feels to them - RPG, Racing, Platform, Puzzle, Shooters, etc. Now I'm trying to play a Shooter game which is full of puzzles, parts of which are solved by racing and uses RPG type menu and character creation and throws me in a bunch of different worlds like a platformer... Give me some old school Mario and Sonic, and the ability to play Gameboy and Gameboy advance games on a TV in 1080p over HDMI? Yes please.

PS4 will be great... when in a couple years third party suppliers release enough non-violence oriented games to collect and play. Until then I'm happy to pick up the PS3 games that will see price drops soon.
Xbox One... Honestly, I can't but this thing simply because they picked such a STUPID name. Why would you call the third implementation of something the "ONE", especially because of the positive publicity they could have gotten simply by running with the title fans had been dubbing it for years, the 720?
I have an Ouya. Potentially a hackers dream. Also Potentially a gamers nightmare. Caters to the retro crowd, but any machine that makes me put in my credit card to be able to even use it can't be trusted. Plus, I generally like a physical game medium. Otherwise I don't feel like I actually own it.

Retron 5 FTW.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will wait a couple years for the prices to come down, my PS3 still has plenty of life in it.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am getting a PS4 after the Christmas holidays. Probably in March, when Infamous: Second Son gets released.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my nephew will be getting a xbox one for xmas never been much of a gamer but i'm curious to see what all the fuss is about. like Q2 i'm happy with my PC for me it doe's the same as an xbox plus more

Bookbase

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have been a faithful PlayStation follower since childhood. PS1 is a golden age for all other such gamers, and PS2 found a new frontier. Due to financial limits, I never bought an Xbox before, and while I believe PS has a gorgeous variety of games, I just don't know much about Xbox. That is to say, I would really love to enjoy the Halo games due to their reputation by story (gotta agree with nightstalkerpoet about tiresome shooter gameplay), amongst other Xbox games.
PS3 was the next step in gaming singularity, and it was a while after obtaining it before I enjoyed the new titles and ongoing franchises, such as Metal Gear Solid and God of War. Its generational titles like these that prompt me to follow Sony, and had I the means, I would enjoy both PS and Xbox, so I call B.S. on all the console wars amongst gamers hating on each other (just take a look at YouTube game comments for games!).

Furthermore, virtually all my games are single-player, so I don't go online with others on the latest questing or virtual wars against repetitive armadas (even though its nice to be social somehow). That said, I don't believe I would take advantage of all the social features of a PS4, since I believe the consoles are first and foremost for personal game playing experiences. Being backwards compatible and a Blu-ray player are excellent added touches, though.
So yeah, I'd like a PS4, but for me, its both too expensive and too soon to go on to the next great thing. As a gamer, I have a lot of territory to cover and not enough time and money to do it comfortably.

It's time that is the more precious commodity. Kingdom Hearts III and MGS5 FTW!!!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really not crazy about any of these new consoles. The WiiU is underpowered and centered around a gimmick. The Xbox One was built from the ground up to be as anti-consumer as possible... then hastily redesigned. And from all I've heard about faulty blu-ray drives, I'm not surprised that's what the result was. The PS4's the only one I'm even partially interested in... and even then, the hardware seems to be having troubles at launch. And most importantly, there's really nothing on any of these new systems that's warranting a purchase. My PC has been my primary platform for years now, and it still outperforms this new batch of systems. So really, unless there's some sort of amazing exclusives down the line, I think I'll be passing on this generation for the forseeable future.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Xbox original FTW y'all!

:flame: and if you buy the remote control you can watch your dvd's at home on your xbox, how amazing is that?!?! :flame:

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The original XBOX was a beast of a machine in its own day. Internal hard drive for game saves and data caching? Unheard of! Robust online infrastructure right out of the box? Unthinkable! Dolby 5.1 surround sound for gameplay, not just select cutscenes? Impossible! Games that output in true 720p and 1080i? Lots of games still can't get that right today! The library may have been lacking when compared to the competition, but multiplats looked, sounded, and played better almost every single time. If you didn't have a good PC back then, it was a viable alternative.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember soft modding the original xbox with an action replay savegame and a copy of Splinter cell. But not to play xbox pirate games on it, but the likes of mame and snes emulators and there was a media player that would play AVI's and such. I was saddened when I bought a 360 that had no internal modem because thiose same video files I had could not be played without codecs and MS never included those in the USB/CD dashboard updated.

As for generation 7... I'm not feeling it, it will have to take something special like a Last of Us sequel,even then games with great stories I'll probably just end up watching on youtube as that seems to have caught on in recent years with the improved HD and people buying accounts that let them upload 2+ hour long videos.

TitusWhitus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got an Xbox One on release day, and have played Dead Rising 3 and Battlefield 4 so far. It does not feel like as much of a generational leap in graphics like consoles in the past. I suppose it will take some time so developers to really make something with more of a wow factor. I was also looking forward to using the kinect for its voice and gesture commands. So far, it is a little choppy. I thought it would be cool to just walk into the room and say "Xbox On" and everything pops up. Sometimes it works, other times I repeat myself 4 times and feel like an idiot. I'm still happy to have a next gen machine, but at this point I feel like I could have waited to get one without missing out on too much. I've just started playing GTA 5 on my PS3, so there isn't the feeling that I can't return to the old gen to take in some things I missed.

Top Bottom