• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Pitch correction on PAL media need converting as using mixed sources.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok Im mixing sources for an edit PAL and NTSC the PAL has of course been spedup like most PAL from films ect but this has also had pitch correction.
Now if it was from two independent films all well and good, but this isnt the case, the films are related so some actors will be appearing in both films ect.
This is why I need the pitch correction so that everything will sound the same!

Im sure someone will likely suggest getting the source media in the same format but this isnt possible so Im left with the pitch correction option.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The following is from the FAQ of my HCenc guide. It restores the pitch of tracks that have been sped up. Are you sure that the track was pitch-corrected by the studio?

You also need to slowdown your audio. To do this I use eac3to. (You might choose to use Besweet; if so, google it.)

This command line gives the pattern to follow. You have to change it to fit your directory structure.

eac3to input.ac3 output.wavs -slowdown

The first part is the location of eac3to on your hard drive. (You will find the .exe inside your eac3to folder.)
The second part is the location of the source file, presumably AC-3, on your hard drive.
The third part is where you want your output to be and what you want it to be called.
The fourth part is a switch: you just need to add it at the end.

For example,

"C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" “C:\Wherever\whatever.ac3” “C:\Wherever\whatever.wavs” -slowdown

You input this at the command prompt. (If you do not how to find this, click on the Start button in the bottom left, and type Run into the start box to bring it up. Alternatively, on Vista and above, you can copy and paste your command line into the search box and hit enter and it should work.)

The result will be individual mono wavs that should be in sync with your video. If you do not want mono wavs, you can change the output to whatever you like. For a .w64 file for editing in Vegas, adjust this to fit your directory structure as shown above:

eac3to input.ac3 output.w64 -slowdown

If you want to downmix to stereo (DPL II), adjust this to fit your directory structure as shown above:

eac3to input.ac3 output.wav -slowdown -down2 -Normalize

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok I have done that many times before I didn't think it did pitch correction as well, I thought it just slowed the file down? My issue is that if I take audio from the PAL source that the studio applied pitch correction to then just slow it down will it not be lower than the proper pitch?
On eac3to it doesn't specifically say it will pitch correct as well just slowdown.
Oh BTW yes the studio did do pitch correction ok the PAL DVDs that's a certainly.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
Ok I have done that many times before I didn't think it did pitch correction as well, I thought it just slowed the file down?

If the audio has been sped up without pitch correction (as is normally the case), slowing it down is what corrects the pitch.

My issue is that if I take audio from the PAL source that the studio applied pitch correction to then just slow it down will it not be lower than the proper pitch?

Yes. In that case, the pitch will be wrong, but are you absolutely sure that the studio has applied pitch correction? It's very rare indeed.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I will be checking and double checking the audio to make sure, but I am fairly sure that this is the case.
What I was wondering is what software I can use to correct this? I hope that there is something free out there but I want something that isn't going to ruin my audio too!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the pitch was corrected by the studio, then you could try using BeHappy to change the tempo without affecting the pitch. The options aren't very clearly labelled; however, if you hover the cursor over the first option under Rate Control, it reads: Sound TEMPO can be increased or decreased while maintaining the original pitch.

ZYGMR9U.png

See how the result sounds to you. Pitch-correction creates artifacts, which is why it is rarely done. It is not possible to undo the damage that the studio did; you'll just have to hope for a result that sounds good enough.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks I understand it won't be perfect, as like you say it's already been mucked around by the studio, but if the software does a decent enough job it will be fine.
Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom