• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Picnic At Hanging Rock - Complete Unabridged (TM2YC)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
picnicathangingrock_completeunabridged_3dview.jpg

I've owned the Second Sight 3xDVD set of 'Picnic At Hanging Rock' since it came out but have been put off watching either of the included cuts because the Director's Cut is missing 9-minutes of footage and the Theatrical Cut is a poor videotape transfer. So years later I decided to buy the Second Sight DC blu-ray too and use it as the basis for reconstructing the longer TC in (mostly) HD, using the TC DVD as the reference and source for the missing scenes. Except in the process I discovered that the DC has a small amount of it's own unique footage, so I changed the project into making this a completely uncut hybrid of both official cuts. So the viewer doesn't have to miss out on anything.

It's called "Complete Unabridged" as the film is based on a book and that's carried through to the Penguin books style coverart.

The main source for this edit is the Director's Cut blu-ray, with all unique footage of the Theatrical Cut put back in, while also retaining the small amount of unique DC footage. The HD DC footage looks fantastic but the SD TC footage looks extremely poor, however, I've attempted to grade it to match and added film grain to try and make it look a bit more like terrible 16mm or 8mm footage, rather than terrible videotape. Not wanting to crop the already blurry TC footage any further, I've elected to letterbox the DC footage to match the 1.66:1 ratio of the TC. The difference is still obvious though.

Cut list:

- Added all unique footage from the Theatrical Cut (TC). Slowed down back to 24fps from PAL speed, graded to match the DC blu-ray and with added film grain.
- Retained all unique footage from the Director's Cut (TC). Letterboxd on the left and right to match the 1.66:1 ratio of the TC DVD.
- 1st audio mix primarily uses the blu-ray, 2nd audio mix primarily uses the DVD (PAL speed-up corrected).
- Custom subtitle track created using 'Subtitle Edit' OCR of the DVD and blu-ray tracks edited together and re-timed.

00.00.00 - Added fanedit.org & TM2YC titles.
00.02.15 - (Retained 5-frames of Miranda asleep from DC.)
00.06.40 - Added 36-seconds of the girls on the balcony before they come down the stairs from TC.
00.07.52 - Added 4-seconds of Miss Lumley watching Sara walk away from TC.
00.08.13 - Added 22-seconds of the girls sitting down at the table from TC.
00.08.35 - FX fix on very jarring gate-weave on the blu-ray transfer as we cut to the girls exiting a door.
00.13.53 - Added 4-second medium shot of the Fitzhuberts from TC.
00.16.47 - Added 3-seconds of the cart stopping from TC.
00.17.33 - (Retained 1-frame of cake from DC.)
00.25.48 - Added 14-seconds of Michael looking around from TC.
00.26.01 - (Retained 3-second shot of Albert looking around from DC.)
00.26.03 - Added 2-seconds of a tree before the camera pans down from TC.
00.35.17 - (Retained 4-frames of Miss McCraw from DC.)
00.35.26 - (Retained 1-frame of rock from DC.)
00.36.34 - (Retained 1-frame of girl screaming from DC.)
00.53.47 - (Retained 2-frames across an edit from DC.)
01.12.32 - (Retained 2-frames across an edit from DC.)
01.27.59 - Added 6-minutes of scenes featuring Irma, Albert and Michael from TC.
01.34.09 - Reversed the order of the three "missing presumed dead" photos from the blu-ray, to match the TC order.
01.34.20 - Added 1-minute church scene from TC.
01.36.05 - (Retained 33-seconds of photographer and 2-seconds of Sara from DC.)
01.44.36 - Moved 4-second shot of bed forward to match TC.
01.44.51 - Added 43-seconds of Mrs. Appleyard from TC.
01.45.34 - (Retained 12-seconds of Albert and Michael from DC.)
01.48.19 - (Retained 2-frames across an edit from DC.)
01.56.25 - Added 12-second final titlecard from TC, incorporating background grain from the blu-ray.

Director's Cut: 107 minutes
Theatrical Cut: 115 minutes
Complete Unabridged Cut: 116 minutes (not including fanedit titles)
Time Added: 9 minutes

A 2-min clip show a few of the transitions between the HD DC and SD TC footage.

I'll probably be adding this Extended-Edition to ifdb this weekend.

Picnic at Hanging Rock is a very good mystery drama film. It is very Peter Weir like his film "The Last Wave".

Certainly a must watch.

I don’t find aspect ratio changing at transitions between the TC and DC footage too distracting in the earlier hybrid cut I put together myself, with the comparatively small amount sourced from the TC I personally prefer not to lose the image area since the differences are already marked by a change in image quality (albeit much less so in the clip here than with my primitive attempt at colour correcting).

N.B. At the transition between “...tiny sums.” and Mademoiselle reading a card there is a bit of a blip that to my ears doesn’t sound natural, in my cut I masked this with a section of clean audio from a few seconds earlier, will this be similarly altered?

At the transition between “...tiny sums.” and Mademoiselle reading a card there is a bit of a blip that to my ears doesn’t sound natural, in my cut I masked this with a section of clean audio from a few seconds earlier, will this be similarly altered?

I think what you're hearing is a last little high pitched giggle from the girls. It's part of the TC mix so I'll leave it be.

I think what you're hearing is a last little high pitched giggle from the girls. It's part of the TC mix so I'll leave it be.
Up to you of course, always thought it was a glitch of some sort myself.

This looks very interesting. I guess I missed that @ParanoidAndroid had put out an edit of this, as well. Very excited to see this!

Last edited:
This looks very interesting. I guess I missed that @ParanoidAndroid had put out an edit of this, as well. Very excited to see this!

Considering that my attempt is based only off the DVDs (and very little experience matching footage from different sources) you didn't miss much!

Looking forward myself to seeing what TM2YC produces, need to get the blu-ray first though!

Considering that my attempt is based only off the DVDs (and very little experience matching footage from different sources) you didn't miss much!

Looking forward myself to seeing what TM2YC produces, need to get the blu-ray first though!
I guess I need to get the DVDs?

need to get the blu-ray first though!

The Second Sight blu-ray is a massive upgrade in image quality from the Second Sight DVD, so it's well worth the upgrade for fans of this film.

I did a screenshot comparison of my DVD and Blu-Rays:

The grade is a bit different though, if that's an issue. Some more screengrabs here:

Thanks for the above link .This film surprisingly isn't in my collection and i have a shelf full of Aussie staples..., i had the Umbrella Version on a list of films for my daughter to bring me when she comes to visit me in June. She lives in Australia. ..no harm in owning two copies. :) I just bought the Second Sight Bluray. I hadn't treated myself to a film this month and i am eager to watch this edit.

Thanks for the above link .This film surprisingly isn't in my collection and i have a shelf full of Aussie staples..., i had the Umbrella Version on a list of films for my daughter to bring me when she comes to visit me in June. She lives in Australia. ..no harm in owning two copies. :) I just bought the Second Sight Bluray. I hadn't treated myself to a film this month and i am eager to watch this edit.
I just bought it, as well.

Back
Top Bottom