• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

PhantomEdit - ISO - cant rip the movie

celloshred

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like the files extracted OK and combined into a 4.5GB ISO.

I've tried Handbrake and DVD ranger. Handbreak created an 8mb mp4 file. Ranger make an 85mb file.

What am I doing wrong here?

I had the same problem with Superman II, redux. Although handbreak did make an mp4 with the first 30 minutes of the film.

DVD Fab is a good ripper program. DVD Shrink is an old one that might work if you can't get DVD Fab. I'm not familiar with DVD Ranger.

I have only tried Handbrake for converting mkv, avi, and some others to mp4 for my ps3, or for shrinking files that are already mp4 but too big for its filesystem to recognize, I'm not familiar with using it for ripping.

Try a different program. Videohelp.com has some really good info and downloads for free/open-source programs in case you don't like the ones I've suggested.

I would not use DVD Shrink for ripping.
It is better for compressing 6 GB and smaller to DVD-5.
Any file higher, I would compress with DVD Rebuilder or Handbrake.

DVD Fab, as suggested by addesin, generally handles any disc.
The "old school" combo is RipIt4Me - DVD Decrypter.
Development ceased on both several years ago (Decrypter became ImgBurn minus the ripper).
Searching around will find both.
Again, as addesin mentioned, Videohelp com is a wise choice.

celloshred: welcome, comrade.

is your goal to make an mp4 with handbrake?
if so, 8 Mb is a pretty dinky file. a two-hour standard-def movie should come out to about 0.9 Gb to 1.3 Gb in mp4 format, depending on your settings. larger files won't necessarily result in demonstrably higher video quality, but smaller files will definitely look coarser.

what is your video quality (average bitrate) setting? i've found that anywhere from 1200 to 1600 kbps is acceptable for standard def.
and were only certain chapters of the movie selected, resulting in only a 30-min segment? on the main interface page, there's an option to select chapters.

Vultural said:
I would not use DVD Shrink for ripping.
It is better for compressing 6 GB and smaller to DVD-5.
Any file higher, I would compress with DVD Rebuilder or Handbrake.

DVD Shrink works just fine if you just are ripping (without converting), as long as you set the compression to "none." As an added bonus, it can rip a specific portion of the audio/video if you don't need the whole thing.

are you trying to convert the actual ISO file (instead of loading the DVD folders)? There may be a problem with the ISO. Try extracting the contents to the VIDEO_TS folder and loading that for conversion.

Back
Top Bottom