• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Phantom Editors Revenge of the sith?

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone here have contact with the Phantom editor and if so do they know if he plans to release an edit on episode III?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He's never made any official announcement, but it's pretty safe to assume that he figures that the movie's just too darn lousy, continuity-wise, to bother watching in any form. Crap like Anakin turning from pretty good to child-killing bad in a single day and Luke and Leia's mother dying of a broken heart can't be edited around, and even the eye candy factor of the first two prequels is sorely diminished; there aren't really any well-done action scenes, and even the big Anakin-Obi-Wan duel is indifferently shot and sloppily edited. A shame, aye, but there it is.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
...Luke and Leia's mother dying of a broken heart can't be edited around...
I disagree. If you just leave the medical droid saying that they are "losing her," it seems reasonable that she dies from complications during the birth, rather than her losing the will to live.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WearneO said:
Does anyone here have contact with the Phantom editor and if so do they know if he plans to release an edit on episode III?
history and gossip say that the Phantom Editor was "asked" by GL himself to NEVER make the ep.3 edit.
But we do have that on FE, created by Spence:
http://fanedit.org/6003/

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
WearneO said:
history and gossip say that the Phantom Editor was "asked" by GL himself to NEVER make the ep.3 edit.
And there are many other EP3 edits next to that one as well:
http://fanedit.org/5530/
http://fanedit.org/58/
http://fanedit.org/403/
http://fanedit.org/5313/
http://fanedit.org/418/

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Gaith said:
I disagree. If you just leave the medical droid saying that they are "losing her," it seems reasonable that she dies from complications during the birth, rather than her losing the will to live.
Hm, interesting... still doesn't solve the problem of Leia remembering her real mother in ROTJ, though. ;)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TV's Frink said:
Gaith said:
Hm, interesting... still doesn't solve the problem of Leia remembering her real mother in ROTJ, though. ;)
I heard that will be explained as a subplot in the live TV series....... -_-

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TV's Frink said:
Gaith said:

Nothing will, I'm afraid. Lucas was making it up as he went along; consequently, any resolution to this problem (like every other problem this process caused) will always fail to ring true, in my opinion.

The only fudge might be that Leia could potentially be remembering her adoptive mother. I don't remember the issue of the mother's identity being raised in the OT, outside the conversation in question; Leia had only just learnt of her father's identity, and to my knowedge Luke is never shown asking Kenobi or Yoda about his mother and could very well be bewildered about who the mother was; the fact that Bail Organa was not the father does not necessarily mean - from the twins' point of view - that the adoptive mother was not the real mother, as they might have envisaged a "Mary and Joseph" kind of situation: so this might just about scan. This really is a fudge though. -_-

TV's Frink, wasn't the solution that you described Sithlord's solution, or very like it? It's been a long time now since I saw his ROTS edit. :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From the cutlist, with deletions in red:
SITHLORD:

MEDICAL DROID: Medically, she's completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her.

BAIL and OBI-WAN are shocked.

OBI-WAN: She's dying?
MEDICAL DROID: We don't know why. She has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies.
BAIL ORGANA: Babies?
MEDICAL DROID: She's carrying twins.
The problem with Sithlord's is leaving in the extra "we don't know why." JasonN went even further.
JASONN:

MEDICAL DROID: Medically, she's completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her.

MEDICAL DROID: We don't know why. She has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies.
Yep - he cut out the whole thing. It works just fine, in my opinion. Although there's the whole Leia not being named problem, which is a different discussion.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for making it clear, TV's Frink. :) Those cutlists of yours really come in handy in these sorts of discussions. Might there be a compromise position?

or

MEDICAL DROID: She's carrying twins

I would prefer the first of the two though. I agree that Jasonn's solution works, but I would personally miss some dialogue here.

Why is Leia not being named a problem? If this has already been discussed, could you provide a link to it? I obviously missed this issue and don't want to dredge it up again if there is a thread elsewhere.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:

Actually, that's the exact same edit that I did (and am still keeping) in my 3-in-1 Shadows of the Old Republic edit, which does keep Leia's birth as Luke's twin and her fate with the Organas in the story.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Why is Leia not being named a problem? If this has already been discussed, could you provide a link to it? I obviously missed this issue and don't want to dredge it up again if there is a thread elsewhere.
Sorry, I'm going to be lazy and risk a little more thread clogging. JasonN's ROTS edit deletes any mention of Leia, and only shows Luke's birth. This presents a bit of a continuity error when you get around to watching ROTJ. JasonN was (or is?) going to be doing an ROTJ edit where Leia is not Luke's sister.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
Actually, that's the exact same edit that I did (and am still keeping) in my 3-in-1 Shadows of the Old Republic edit, which does keep Leia's birth as Luke's twin and her fate with the Organas in the story.

Ah! I didn't realize that. I really like this way of cutting this scene. I did watch your first version, Jasonn, but forgot how you edited that scene.

TV's Frink said:
JasonN was (or is?) going to be doing an ROTJ edit where Leia is not Luke's sister.

Ah! That issue! I forgot all about that. Thank you again, TV's Frink. :)

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
Thanks for the tip boon. I'll have to check out Spence's edit. :)

Would just be nice though to see the Phantom Editor complete the prequel trilogy.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I corrosponded with the PE once and he said made a go at it, but didn't like the result and that was that.

The lack of his 3rd installment is actually what made me get into fanediting in the first place (or at least a hopeful faneditor!)

I'm a shiny brand new fandeditor and have nearly completed what will be my first submission; which will of course be Revenge of the Sith (1 of two different takes I will make on it). In both versions I resolve utterly rediculous broken heart syndrome as mentioned above. You can definately edit it to simply have the droid say she's dying, and they have to act quickly.

To resolve the RotJ problem, well, that is what a fanedit is for, and is something I will address for my own viewing when I make it to E6.

L8Writer

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
JasonN was (or is?) going to be doing an ROTJ edit where Leia is not Luke's sister.
At some point, I am still going to make a RotJ edit, but it's gotten delayed for a while due to one of my hard drives dying, which was the same one with all my RotJ files on it. :|

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
TV's Frink said:
At some point, I am still going to make a RotJ edit, but it's gotten delayed for a while due to one of my hard drives dying, which was the same one with all my RotJ files on it. :|
Sorry to hear that. You should be able to find pretty cheap backup drives these days.

Top Bottom