• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

PHANTOM EDIT REDUX by modernknife

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PHANTOM EDIT REDUX

What kind of fanedit: TF
original film name: Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menance
new film name : Star Wars Episode 1: Phantom Edit Redux
film studio name : 20th Century Fox
edit crew name : modernknife
Date Original Film Was Released : 1999
Date Edit Was Released : 2005
Original Runtime : 133m
New Runtime : 130m
Amount of time Cut/Added : Too much to calculate

Cuts removed/added/extended : Some deleted scenes added

Phantom Menace:
Summary of changes:

1. Removed the pilots first line to Qui-Gon "Yes, sir".

2. Removed Tade Federation dialogue "What" and "Are you braindead" and "I assure you we have the full corporation of the Sa-neettte". No more "Roger, Roger" from the robots.

3. Tightened dialogue with Trade Federation speaking with Lord Sidious.

4. No more Jar-Jar screams, yells or antics when first meeting Qui-Gon.

5. Tightened pause and quicked wipe when Trande Federation takes over the Naboo palace.

6. Cut more Jar-Jar lines. If Jar Jar speaks, unless necessary to the plot, it was probably removed.

7. Cut Jar-Jar jumping, fliping and yelping into the pond. Cut Jar-Jar line "How rude".

8. Cut Boss Nagg shake-head-dribble from cheek bit, he now cuts off Jar-Jar's answer about life debt.

9. Moved up scene with Lord Sidious and the Trade Federation to directly after Boss Nagg scene -- then wipe directly to the sub with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Jar Jar leaving Gungan city.

10. Jar Jar antics in the sub are nowhere to be found. Tightened the cuts when the first monster attacks.

11. Blended together the gap between the sub breaking down and taking off (by moving up the Lord Sidious scene)

12. Added deleted scene of sub going over waterfall. Tightened cuts, creating suspense with cross cutting of grappling hook and Jar Jar escaping from sub. No Jar Jar punchline at end of scene.

13. No more Jar Jar comments when the Jedi attack the droids. Even removed the quick shot of Jar Jar's legs falling into the frame from the balcony. Tighter cuts make Jedi's attacks seem quicker.

14. Cut the driod guard line "This does not compute...etc" Qui-Gon now only waits till the Robot Guard response -- then wipes it out with his light saber.

15. No more Jar Jar introducing himself to the Queen's cruiser droids. Also cut his "How rude" line to R2-D2.

16. Cut Jar Jar bitchin while walking in the desert of Tatooine.

17. Removed Trade Federation line about not telling Lord Sidious about the Jedi. (poor line reading)

18. No more Jar Jar stepping in doo-doo. In fact, all poo-doo, doo-doo and poop jokes are eliminated.

19. Cut Anakin's first line to Watto calling him out. Watto now cuts him off, adding weight to his cruelness.

20. Cut Anakin's first few lines to Padame - no more "Are you an angel", "Are you a pilot" and "All my life". Now Padame simply asks Anakin how long he's lived there and dialogue resumes as normal.

21. Cut Jar Jar goofing around with the droid robots. Quicker exit with Qui-Gon and Padame.

22. No "Yippie" from Anakin. Watto now cuts him off and bosses him around.

23. Trimmed Jar Jar antics in the market with the food. He now just reaches for it and it flings into Subulba. No more chomping at the food, owner yelling at Jar Jar, who now has the food in his mouth and smiles at us. Yeech!

24. Ended the Anakin and Sebulba scene quicker. No mare Jar Jar dialogue.

25. Added deleted scene of Anakin fighting in the street with Greedo.
Removed Anakin's "I'm home mom" line and Jar Jar's "This looks cozy" line at Anakin's house.

26. Cut Anakin's extraneous dialogue with C-3PO. Removed Anakin's line to Padame "You really like it?"

27. Trimmed several lines of dialogue from dinner table scene. Removed Jar Jar's first tounge grab of food.

28. Anakin no longer tells Qui-Gon he had a dream he was a Jedi and rescued the slaves. (poor line delivery).

29. Removed mother's mention of Anakn's birth and lack of father.

30. Removed Anakin's friends teasing him and his pod racer. Removed all Jar Jar antics at pod racer.

31. Trimmed out all mention of mediclorans. Qui-Gon now just takes a blood sample of Anakin.

32. Trimmed out Jar Jar line with Qui-Gon, Watto and Sebulba in the pod racer hanger.

33. Trimmed out several lines of dialogue with Anakin and Padame. Including Kipsters line.

34. Removed several (most) moments with two headed announcer, especially the modern "hoo-haa" dance and "That's gotta hurt in any galaxy" type of dialogue. Added in several deleted scenes at the beginning of the race, including a cameo by the cantina band and a close up of C-3PO carrying a flag.

35. Removed all of Anakin's dance and jump happy pit crew antics. Trimmed some robot and creature antics.

36. Removed severl shots of the crowd performing camera mugging dances.

37. Trimmed shot of Willow cameo.

39. Removed Anakin's line to Sebulba. Now Anakin's just stares back in slow motion and does not answer.

40. Removed some of Anakin's comments to Qui-Gon before the race. Now he listens instrad of speaking.

41. Added back in the extended deleted scene of Lap 2 of the pod race, including Tusken Raiders shooting Jawas.

42. Trimmed antics during Anakin's victory, including Jar Jar picking up Anakin.

43. Removed mother's line to Anakin "You given hope to those who had none".

44. Trimmed several lines from Anakin to mother after Qui-Gon tells him he is free.

45. Trimmed Anakin telling Qui-Gon how much he wants to be a Jedi. (poor line reading).

46. Removed Qui-Gon put hand on shoulder of mother and saying "Are you okay".

47. Removed dialogue Anakin speaks to C-3PO about leaving on a star cruiser.

48. Removed several lines between Anakin and mother saying goodbye.
When mother asks "What does your heart tell you", Anakin now responds "I will come back and free you.".

49. Added in deleted scene of probe droid following Qui-Gon and Anakin in market streets.

50. Removed Jar Jar sleeping noise antics as Padame crosses the room. Now we just wipe up on Padame.

51. Trimmed Anakin's dialogue with Padame on the ship. He no longer gives her the gift to remember him by. (Note: This cut was made before SITH was released and the pendant re-appearance at Padame's funeral)

52. Cut out Jar Jar hooting it up when the shuttle takes off.

53. Removed mention of medicolrans during the Jedi councel meeting and

54. Qui-Gon and Anakin on the landing dock.

55. Cut out Jar Jar's line "Weesa going home" before he boards the spaceship.

56. Queen now cuts off Jar Jar when she calls him forward (removing his line and goofy response).

57. Cut around Jar Jar's extra goofy walk when exiting from underwater and walking to camp.

58. Removed Jar Jar's lines when arriving in Gungan holy place.
Now when Padame reveals herslef to Boss Nagg and asks for help, all of Boss Nagg's slobbering and responses are removed and we wipe into the next scene without ever seeing the cheering and outcome. Mystery beat to end on.

59. Removed Anakin's line to Gungan watch guard. Removed Jar Jar fainting when told he's now a general.

60. Cut Jar Jar's line to troops "Steady now" and most of his physical comedy antics.

61. When droid attacks Jar Jar, he now just stomps on the droid. (we cut away before the slapstick begins)

62. Cut Anakin's line to Qui-Gon when told to stay in the fighter ship. Removed Anakin's line about the auto pilot.

63. Tightened cuts of Anakin flying in space, removing dialogue that explains the action on screen.

64. Jar Jar now appears to alley-oop the bomb inside the he driod attact tank, instead of fumbling around.

65. Cut Anakin's "Yippie" yelp of success when escaping the fireball. Cut Jar Jar line when droid army loses power.

66. Resturctured the action scene of Padame, Panaka and troops making way through palace and fighting off droid guards. The two pieces of action are now cut together to form a single action sequence. This same kind of action bridge is also applied to the space battle with Anakin, the light saber fight and the Gungan battle on the gound.

67. Bridged together two action pieces from lightsaber fight and stayed with fight until force field gates trap the Jedi.

68. Removed Jar Jar line of "Weesa give up". Bridged with scene of droid army rouding up Gungans.

69. Cut directly to Padame and Panaka getting caught in palace hallway after Gungan's are captured.

70. Now when Anakin's fighter lands inside the Trade Federation control ship and the droids approach, we don't cut away for six minutes, instead we cut right to him regaining power and blasting the power grid on the ship.

71. Bridged both pieces of Obi-Wan and Darth Maul fight. Also tightened and added shots + cuts in a Sergio Leone style to Obi-Wan's final attack on Darth Maul. Better overall tenesion and surprise of attack. Removed an akward pause (fifteen frames) when Obi-Wan lands from his flip over Darth Maul, to when his light saber cuts Maul in half, now displaying the lightning speed of the Jedi.

72. Removed shot of Gungans marching and Jar Jar falling of his creature.
Added Phantom Redux Editor credit.

73. Removed most end credits. Added Phantom Editor Redux credit.

Fanedit details : DVD NTSC Single-Layer 2.0 Stereo

Your intention for this fanedit: To make Episode 1 more in tone with the original Star Wars films and cut most juvenile humour. Also to re-arrange the final battle scenes. This version is for STAR WARS fans who have already seen Episode 1 a few times and have a hard time re-watching the original. This version provides an experience more in line with the original trilogy (at least A New Hope and Empire).

Hardware and software information : Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro

Additional Comment: No 16x9 - sorry.
Time needed for the edition: 3 days
persons involved: 1

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Noticed this on the main page and I just don't understand how this is suppose to be a "Redux" version of The Phantom Edit: there are quite a few edits that were not part of the original PE edit, plus it's only in Dolby 2.0 (PE was full 5.1) and is not in a 16x9 anamorphic aspect ratio (which the PE did have). If it's suppose to be a Redux, shouldn't it have some sort of improvement over the original? (like better audio or video quality)

Or is this just a case of the editor giving his fanedit a really poor title? :roll:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
even the wildest thoughts and ideas cannot replace a review.
Modernknife was inspired by Phantom Edit and made his own version. That kind of explains the title IMO.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
Modernknife was inspired by Phantom Edit and made his own version. That kind of explains the title IMO.
Except there is no mention made in the fanedit info given about being inspired by Phantom Edit, so how would I or other people know that?

I don't know, I think it's kinda like making a fanedit of Star Wars and calling it "Star Wars: Revisited ULTRA!" :p

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
boon23 said:
Except there is no mention made in the fanedit info given about being inspired by Phantom Edit, so how would I or other people know that?

I don't know, I think it's kinda like making a fanedit of Star Wars and calling it "Star Wars: Revisited ULTRA!" :p
I had the similar feeling and agree with JasonN. Title looks too much like the the Phantom Edit.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The title would make me think that they were going to redo the Phantom Edit, but with better video quality.

For an experienced editor, it would be pretty easy, when compared to the process of doing your own from scratch.

Keep all the audio and re-rip the video from better sources than what Phantom Editor had.
However, I don't know if the Phantom Edit had special effects inserted, that would be a different story.

I'm actually surprised that nobody had done this.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there was a podcast about fanedits on THE HOLLYWOOD SALOON, created about 3 or 4 years ago, when quite a few fanedits were around. Modernknife is the co-moderator there. In this podcast they were talking a lot about fanedits and especially the phantom edit. Modernknife there already talked about this edit of his that took ideas and inspiration from the phantom edit, but wanted to go further. Not with video or audio quality, but with the plot of the movie.
Phantom Edit Redux is about 3 - 4 years old. Nowadays it would look and sound a lot different.

My translation tool for the word "redux" says it means something like "revived". I agree, this kind of implies an improved or enhanced version. I also agree that this could have and should have been explained in the info a bit more to sound pompous. Titles are always a difficult matter.

buddythegoon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hold no sway here and I get the feeling that modernknife isn't going to be coming back to this one anyway, but I felt the need to say something after watching this one. I've been through 5 TPM fan edits thus far, including this one and those done by Phantom Editor, Sithlord, ADigitalman and HAL9000. They are all slightly different and feature varying degrees of technical soundness. As far as the technical aspects go - smooth cuts and A/V - I still like the Phantom Editor's the best.

From a conceptual or plot standpoint though, every fan edit of this film I have seen has one thing in common. None of them cut enough. Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar still have too many lines and some random Gungan antic is still stuck in there daring me to throw my shoe at my TV.

Now to modernknife's edit specifically. It seems likely at this point that modernknife is happy with his work the way it is, which means that it will forever be here and not on fanedit.org. From a technical standpoint, it's nowhere near to the standard of even the most average fan editor whose work is featured on the main site. There are lots of hard cuts throughout and, as alluded to in the the description, the video and audio are of a lower quality.

Conceptually, however, this is the best I've seen so far. There are still a couple unecessary Jar Jar moments (First conversation with Padme, swinging on the tank cannon) and some craptastic Jake Lloydness. I would really like to hear "IT'S WORKING!!" just once and could do without the kid's voice at ANY point during the final space battle. I wish I could see all of the audition tapes because I am curious as to which kids Lucas thought were worse. That aside, these are fairly small annoyances. For the most part I would describe this edit as conceptually sound for the most part, but poorly executed on the technical side. If someone could take modernknife's ideas and implement them better, we would have something Oscar-worthy.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
buddythegoon said:
As far as the technical aspects go - smooth cuts and A/V - I still like the Phantom Editor's the best.

You didn't have a problem with the Phantom Editor's video quality?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks a lot, buddythegoon, for this review. I consider it very helpful.

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
thanks a lot, buddythegoon, for this review. I consider it very helpful.

Thanks for the review indeed. Seeing as there are soooo many edits of TPM out there, I was going to ask if this one was worth getting or not.

buddythegoon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
::::Cough.....cough....cuh...... CAW, CAW:::::

Sorry, I'm just coughing up the Crow I just ate for saying this would probably never get out of the "Firstlings and Further Approval Needed" section. :grin:
I still think some of the cuts are too jarring, the audio quality is fair at best, and the video quality is not only lacking but in a bad ratio for today's TVs.
But then again, my word is not law here and I accept that. I also accept that this is an older fan edit created using older technology and is thus not as slick as some of the newer ones.
However, I also stand by my previous statements about the conceptual soundness and OK entertainment value. This one is on my shelf with my other Star Wars movies where as some of the other edits I've watched (I've seen more than 5 now) are either in the trashbin (if I bothered to make a DVD) or dumped from my hard drive.

modernknife

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
modernknife here...

Thanks for the feedback on THE PHANTOM EDIT REDUX. I hear you loud and clear on the 16x9. I'm currently working on a new 16x9 DVD version that will hopefully address some of the technical concerns regarding this version.

This cut was first put together in 2001 using primitive video editing equipment (2 8mm decks) after viewing the original Phantom Edit and getting inspired to dig even deeper. It was just on a VHS tape for years. Then in 2005, I captured the film again and perfomed another pass -- cutting even deeper and re-arranging scenes to help improve the pace and flow. This version was burned to a 4:3 DVD in January of 2005.

In the meantime, I co-host a podcast called THE HOLLYWOOD SALOON and we got the idea to record a show in 2006 about fan edits...before I even knew about fanedit.org. The show finally came out in 2007 and due to the response the show got, I was forwarded information about fanedit.org -- and my world EXPLODED with joy.

To hear the show, go to:
http://www.hollywoodsaloon.com/podcastEP29.html

Keep in mind, this discussion took place before we had knowledge of the larger emerging world of fanediting...so we discuss some of my own fanedits and other famous ones and the concept behind the fan edit and the future of the form.

That "future" was obviously fanedit.org

So now we are working on a new show called THE FAN EDIT STRIKES BACK that will cover about 20-30 different fanedits on this site -- broken up into categories. This will hopefully shine some light on the outstanding work I have had the pleasure of enjoying on this site, as well as highlight the community here on the forums. Hopefully we can record a few words of wisdom from some of the faneditors themselves. Because the STAR WARS fanedits are so vast and impressive on their own, they will probably need their own show...REVENGE OF THE FANEDIT.

Having had the opportunity to now view several fanedits of EPISODE 1, I can still say that the conceptual ideas/edits in the PHANTOM EDIT REDUX are still unique to this version. Tonally, it removes much of the juvenal humor from Phantom Edit 1.2 and the re-arranging of the final battle scenes should be seen and discussed -- I of course, thinks it make a big difference.

There are other "fun cuts" in this fanedit, mostly because I never imagined it would be seen outside of friends...certainly not placed up for review by a fanedit community. But in the best "bootleg" sense of the word, THE PHANTOM EDIT REDUX is designed to give you another remix option to see a film you seen too many times -- again for the first time.

I will also post an XVID version for preview, for those waiting to see if they want to bother with the upcoming 16x9 version.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MK
I am a huge Hollywood saloon listener. :shock:
The combination of John's calm and educated tones next to Andy's fanboy antics really worked for me. :lol:
When i heard your Fanedit podcast it inspire me to do our own short-lived podcast show for this site.
I must confess to having "fanedited" your podcast to create the first one of ours.
But I thought "how appropriate" right?
I even contemplated adding your DARK KNIGHT discussion as a commentary track on my fanedit of the Dark Knight but since you earn money with that one, I decided against it.
It still is a great listen as are all your shows. I listened to it over and over while fanediting THE DARK KNIGHT.
Anyways it's great to see you here. :p

modernknife

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the support killbillme...the Saloon sure appreciates it..

As for use of our Dark Knight or other material...please feel free... I'm honored you would find it illuminating enough to include in your own work. Like the materials I borrow for my own fanedits and shows...please grab what you like and get as creative as you can be.

Glad to be here...hope to have more to contribute soon.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
modernknife said:
There are other "fun cuts" in this fanedit, mostly because I never imagined it would be seen outside of friends...certainly not placed up for review by a fanedit community. But in the best "bootleg" sense of the word, THE PHANTOM EDIT REDUX is designed to give you another remix option to see a film you seen too many times -- again for the first time.
I rather hate it when people use the term "bootleg" to describe fanedits. :roll:
(they are two completely different things)

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think he specifically used that word in the throwback sense of it - like back in the days of VHS when, if you wanted a rare cut of a movie that was commercially unavailable, you had to find someone who had taped it off TV or something and was selling it in the ads section of some sci-fi magazine.

modernknife

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blueyoda nailed it...

I'm of the generation where the term "bootleg" carries a great deal of pride and affection.

If it wasn't "official"...it was a bootleg.

And I was always cool with that.

It was also pretty special to even have a bootleg...cause they were so uncommon and rare. Just hunting down the magazines, or record stores or comic conventions that carried any product was difficult and expensive work.

We're talking about the dark ages of the '80's here. ;)

Of course, much like today's tools for authoring dvd's and editing movies, the musical tools has transformed the old term "bootleg" in many ways...where I could understand if one took it as "lesser quality". But the fact we live in a world where individual tracks from Sgt. Pepper and Bohemian Rhapsody are out there for fanmixers to play with is pretty amazing.

Same for all the work on this site.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also have great affection for the term "bootleg" from the old days. And later my first big thing on the internet was music bootleg trading. The feeling of holding something unofficial in your hands, something better than the real thing, is very special indeed - and comparable to fanedits, at least to me. (Btw, plenty of bootlegs actually approach fanedits, especially the various SMiLE bootlegs. These were often called "fanmixes".)

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
modernknife said:
So now we are working on a new show called THE FAN EDIT STRIKES BACK that will cover about 20-30 different fanedits on this site -- broken up into categories. This will hopefully shine some light on the outstanding work I have had the pleasure of enjoying on this site, as well as highlight the community here on the forums. Hopefully we can record a few words of wisdom from some of the faneditors themselves. Because the STAR WARS fanedits are so vast and impressive on their own, they will probably need their own show...REVENGE OF THE FANEDIT..
Great Idea. May I suggest RETURN OF THE FANEDIT?
Faneditors never seek revenge. :wink:

Top Bottom