• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

PHANTASM Extended Cut

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
phntsm_dvd_preview.jpg

PHANTASM, EXTENDED CUT by Dr. Sapirstein
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079714/
Type of edit: extended cut
Original release date: March 1979
Fan edit release date: March 2011 (NTSC version)
Original run time (film): 84'57
New run time (film): 97'33

An extended edit featuring many deleted scenes reintegrated into the film, as well as the original 1978 footage used in Phantasm IV. Parts of the new soundtrack had to be recreated from scratch, and every added scene has been correctly framed and color corrected.

Additional scene: Mike runs after Reggie's truck.
Extended scene: The Tall Man smiles at Mike.
Additional scene: Mike tries to tell Jody what he saw at the cemetery.
Additional scene: Jody and Mike get drunk and cause mayhem at Reggie's ice cream shop.
Additional scene: Jody at work, making out with his girlfriend.
Additional scene: Reggie & Mike hear something strange / Mike on the street by night.
Additional scene: The Tall Man gets shot, iced and explodes.
Additional scene: Mike hangs the Tall Man, leaves him for dead and is tricked into freeing him.
Total time added: 12 minutes 36 seconds.

- VIDEO: 720x480, CBR 9300kpbs
- AUDIO: Dolby Digital 2.0 448kbps (English)
- SUBTITLES: No
- MENU: intro

or here: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/H296KYWE/phntsmee.artwork.rar_links

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very interested in this one. I have two question.

1. Are there any issues with this release similar to the issues with NOES one?
2. What DVD did you use as the source for the film?

Faneditlover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes! Finally a Phantasm edit. Too bad you finished it. I would've suggested you add the beginning of Phantasm II where it takes place after the ending of Phantasm where [spoiler:3il4evog]Reggie rescues Mike. And after the second the Tall Man starts to close the back door of the Hearse, pitch to black and we hear the door shut[/spoiler:3il4evog].

rijir

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Faneditlover said:
Yes! Finally a Phantasm edit. Too bad you finished it. I would've suggested you add the beginning of Phantasm II where it takes place after the ending of Phantasm where [spoiler:i5torsi5]Reggie rescues Mike. And after the second the Tall Man starts to close the back door of the Hearse, pitch to black and we hear the door shut[/spoiler:i5torsi5].

The only issue is that the house in part 2 is obviously a different house. It would really stand out if added into this film.

Faneditlover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a question: Will there be an NTSC version? Not being bossy or anything but, if you need a better source(s) I recommend getting the R1 Anchor Bay releases of Phantasm and Phantasm: OblIVion and if you want to take my idea into consideration for a V2, get the R1 Universal release of Phantasm II.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I'm not mistaken Anchor Bay released all four Phantasm films in the UK in the Sphere box set before they even released the first film in North America.

rijir

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
If I'm not mistaken Anchor Bay released all four Phantasm films in the UK in the Sphere box set before they even released the first film in North America.

Note quite. 1, 3 and 4 have been on DVD in the US for years. Way before the sphere box set. Part 2 was only recently released in the US.

Faneditlover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually these are dates of what film was released on DVD:

2000: R1 Phantasm and Phantasm: OblIVion (MGM)
2005: R2 Phantasm Sphere Set (Anchor Bay UK)
2007: R1 Phantasm and Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead (Anchor Bay US)
2008: R2 Japan Phantasm Box Set (Geneon Japan) and Phantasm: OblIVion (Anchor Bay US)
2009: R1 Phantasm II (Universal)

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had forgotten to mention what the sources were in my 1st post (corrected): I indeed used the great "Sphere Edition" 2005 boxset from Anchor Bay UK, hence the PAL format.
The links are up - I've just sent the DLC to Boon, so it should be available soon on FanEdit.info to download. ;)

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How come theres three different aspect ratios?

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AvP said:
How come theres three different aspect ratios?

There isn't. You're mistaking black bars with actual parts of the Tall Man's car.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no i havnt take another look here and you will see three different AR.
Untitled-1-2.png

Faneditlover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They're minor. I doubt people will know the difference when it's played on their TV's.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, don't underestimate this community. Thing is these are technical flaws that could have easily been prevented. And while they are probably invisible on a TV screen they are very visible on a computer screen.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
also could you provide a md5 please?... i get currupt all the way thru the extraction,i tryed jdownloader,flashget and opera explorer.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
well, don't underestimate this community. Thing is these are technical flaws that could have easily been prevented. And while they are probably invisible on a TV screen they are very visible on a computer screen.
I'm going to have to agree.
I don't understand how somebody can go through all the effort of making a fanedit with all the problems involved and time thinking about it, that they can fumble the ball at the final step of encoding it improperly or some other technical thing or just simply by cutting corners, taking shortcuts or just getting lazy at the end.
Of course, sometimes shit happens, as it does with Worble, but still, at least give the final dvd encode a viewing.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
well a final matte to fix the AR is possible, but i don't see this as a technical flaw... the AR issues are minor and this process is just preserving the whole picture of each source.

now if it is 1.33/2.35 mix then that is a bigger/different issue... especially since many screens will overscan this anyways.

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hum, I must say I'm a tad surprised by the rather unfriendly tone used in some messages, but fine. I certainly wouldn't go as far as calling this a "difference in aspect ratio", although it technically would be one, it's so minor that it's indeed not noticeable on a TV screen, and hardly noticeable on a computer. I bet that without the caps above, hardly anyone would notice it while watching the film (given that these diff. of AR are present in the original film BTW!) Still it exists. I chose these vidcaps because they represent both the color palette of the edit and show the different sources used and how they come out. The reason behind these minors differences of AR is that cropping the broadest footage would mean either a zoom-in (and mess up the interlacing which I chose to preserve) or crop the rest (which isn't my cup of tea). It's a compromise. I could have made that choice or the other, I chose to leave it as such after framing them properly without a zoom-in.
Not to mention that it is extremelly common for actual DVD releases to have such small differences of aspect ratios, and even worst ones. I was watching the BR of Phantom Of The Paradise a few days ago, and some much broaders black bars on the side of the screen come and go (and that was obvious even with a screen's overscan, which isn't the case with the present edit).
You can decide to download it or not download it. FanEdits are not there to reach technical perfection (although I haven't seen *all* the FE ever shared, I have yet to see one exempt of any flaw, even minor ones), and I certainly never claim my edits were perfect. They're made in good spirit, and I wouldn't release them unless I considered them at least fun, enjoyable and "good enough" for the fans of the films in question.
All this being said, the tone used by some of you is a bit surprising to me, as I said. Where I come from, you start a criticism by saying "thank you for your work" before making notes of what's wrong with the said work, even if you think it's pure shite.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Dr. for what it's worth, I was speaking more in general and less specifically about this edit because there seems to have been an outbreak of disappointing encodes lately.

I doubt that the slight AR differences in this edit would detract from enjoying it.

Also, I didn't read boon's post properly.
I thought he said "I don't understand this community..." instead of "don't underestimate this community..."
:oops:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You have been adding some awesome extended editions lately and brought new life to the EEs on Fanedit.org. Completists will get great joy out of your fantastic releases that are done with a lot of effort and care. Kudos.

Of course issues still need to be addressed, which is actually a very good thing, because once released anything is open for criticism and while I agree that hardly any fanedit is without flaw, each and every of them will be spotted and criticized and complained about. And rightfully so.
The audience are just regular movie watchers, who do not have to praise anyone or anything for its mere existence, but for greatness, if they find it.

Top Bottom