• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Peter Jackson's King Kong re-edited in black & white

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working on version 2.0 of this fanedit to fix some things that i didn't get around to the first time. also, i was going to add "the gekko cut" under the KING KONG opening title, but if you can think of a better title, i'm all for it.

if you've seen this cut and have any comments or suggestions, let me know.

g

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am liking this can i ask what are your tech specs for this. What program did you use to flip your edit to black and white and not lose to much quality. I like the use of lines in the footage as well.

StormTrooper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NexPhr3ak0r said:
i am liking this can i ask what are your tech specs for this. What program did you use to flip your edit to black and white and not lose to much quality. I like the use of lines in the footage as well.

I would also like to know how you changed it to b&w and what programme you used.

ps looks really good

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you can do this in avisynth scripts,D\C productions has been dabbling in this too,it is pretty cool.

DJ

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
all the editing and desaturation was done in final cut pro.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
well i'm almost done downloading it. I should be able to watch it tonight.

the b+w and film lines can be done in sony vegas but the output didn't keep that kind of clarity. Maybe i might have it on a wrong setting.

Corz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well in regards to the B+W process, you can do this in final cut pro and adobe premiere with the magic bullet editor, which will also allow you to add the film scratches to it, so the film stock appears to be older.

As for the edit, nice job cant wait to see it.

When you get to your 2.0 cut, I had a few ideas instead of Gekko cut, which at first glanced I read Getto Cut.. hehe... Sorry about that.
I came up with.
The Classic Approach, A Classic Re-Cut.. I dunno.. mayeb their not so good.

But good work anyhow..

Corz.

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Corz said:
I came up with.
The Classic Approach, A Classic Re-Cut..

those are some good ones. thanks! gave me some more title ideas:
a modern classic
reclassified
vintage edition
old schooled

i'm also debating if i should implement the following:
add more contrast (brighter whites, darker blacks)
add a grainy look (more noise)
add a slight flicker (to simulate old film)

Dislexsick

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Magic Bullet is also available for VEgas and it is indeed one Awesome Plugin

Nice edit by the way

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok so i watched this edit last night and the picture quality was perfect is most parts in a couple of the heavy black parts it went a little pixelated but this may have been my monitor causing this issue. The sound was clean and crisp throughout. I even liked the little glitches in the film. I should have thought this was amazing but for some reason there was one thing i just couldn't get into and i think it was the fact that is was such a high quality/clarity in b+w. Usually with black and white you expect a really rough picture and to have such great quality in black and white just came off as strange. Technically wise the edit is very good though.

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seems to be exactly what the creator thought too there Nex. ;)

i'm also debating if i should implement the following:
add more contrast (brighter whites, darker blacks)
add a grainy look (more noise)
add a slight flicker (to simulate old film)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
18596830yi7.png

...by nexphr3ak0r. Congratulations, gecko.
Can you send me the FE info for this edit?

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any kind of ETA when the 2.0 version will be available?

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
no he made a bunch of cuts and decreased the time a good amount as well.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
so...will this get a 2nd edition? On DVD?

bitsbubba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll wait 2nd edition. How about "Re-Classic-Fied" and please put it on DVD I don't really want to do it my self, but then that would do good for the bits and pieces FE forum

gekko

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
v2.0 should be ready in a few days. just some fixes and additional cuts. if you have any changes you'd like to see made from the first cut, post your suggestion here and i'll take it under advisement.

i decided not to add flicker and extra grain as they just make the picture look poorly encoded. but i did boost up the contrast a little so it looks less "flat". it seems less is more in this case.

i was not planning to release this on dvd. not that i don't know how, but just my personal preference.

Top Bottom