• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Pearl Harbor: Strength and Honor Edition

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I first saw Pearl Harbor at the theater. I remember it being a really long, poorly written, stupid film that tried to blend a war story with a romantic love triangle story. I thought the action and special effects were amazing, but everything else was so lame and out of place I found it impossible to feel anything for the characters.

While looking through the fanedits list I saw a cut of Pearl Harbor by ADigitanMan. I decided to give it a chance. Cutting out the love story had to make it a little better, right?

I'm so glad I barely remember watching the original. I've only seen it twice; once at the theater and once on DVD.

I was really impressed by ADM's edit. The pacing was excellent; I was never bored. And because all the bullshait was cut I was able to focus more on the emotions of the characters and story.

05/10 - Rating I give for the original Pearl Harbor edit
08/10 - Rating I give for ADM's edit of Pearl Harbor

What a fantastic improvement over the original.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anybody know what ADM meant when he was talking about Bruce Willis? I didn't catch him and IMDb doesn't credit him as having a cameo in the movie...

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, finally watched the edit this morning. Great movie. PH is a prime example of why fanedits rule, and how a great movie can be trapped in a pile of garbage.

There were a few scenes that could have been removed and it would have improved the movie, I thought. The scene at 13:48 doesn't do much other than introduce the nurses, but it feels like it's missing something (because it is). I think a better cut would be going from the "terrors of the skies" line to the dogfighting scene that follows the nurses scene. The nurses could get introduced when they pull into PH instead. Also, the scene at 17:16 with the nurses doesn't seem to serve much purpose now that the whole romance thing has been deleted, and the scene feels odd. Would have been better to cut that part out, go straight from the Japanese planning scene to the boxing scene. I think there was another little scene that I thought should have been cut, but can't recall it now.

The letters that Rafe writes are kind of confusing because of the cut lines. Not sure I would have found a way around this myself, though.

The Coke bottles shot should have been removed. It was too much.

But this cut is a vast improvement on the movie. This is the cut that I will most likely watch from now on. Great work, ADM.

agentaika

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beckmen said:
Does anybody know what ADM meant when he was talking about Bruce Willis? I didn't catch him and IMDb doesn't credit him as having a cameo in the movie...
"There is a persistent urban myth that a shot of Bruce Willis in full Die Hard (1988) gear was composited into the triage scene. The likeness is certainly very striking but it is *not* Willis, it's a young extra."
-- imdb trivia

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADM's Pearl Harbor is actually my favorite fan edit. He took an absolutely horrible, awful, seemingly unsalvagable movie and made it into something interesting and exciting. I think it demonstrates the full power of fan editing and is the epitome of what a lot of us strive to do in our work.

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah it really is a good edit, however he left in the one worst shot of the whole movie.
During the attack an explosion goes off on one of the ships and it sends a sailor spinning around, when he spins you can clearly see that its a dummy that's pivoting on a pole.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It does kind of look like him, but I don't think it is. The whole 'sheen' thing can be explained by the entire effect of the clip, whatever they did to the footage to give it that dream-like quality.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i just watched this movie, 4 stars.. i have to say though that some the scenes with the nurses did not fit well into the movie and every time i watched them i had the feeling something was missing.. other then that the flow was pretty damn good

DragonAngel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Considering how bad the source material is, this cut is pretty darned good. Unfortunately I still found it painful to watch. Probably because Ben AFfleck irritates me to no end...

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADigitalMan said:
Bruce Willis or not ... you be the judge.

http://rapidshare.com/files/25447850/Wi ... r.mpg.html

To me it looks like a digital lift from Die Hard superimposed into the background. It has that whole Jabba/Jar Jar digital sheen to it that can only be caused by computer compositing.

It's absolutely him. Compare the shot with what Bruce is wearing/looks like in Die Hard With A Vengeance, specifically just after he and Sam Jackson have fallen from the tow-cable onto the ship.

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I demand a screenshot comparison for proof.
I still think its a coincidence.

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not that I expect this to satisfy anybody ... It's a little hard to get a frame-for-frame exact match and I continue to think it was sourced from b-roll footage from the first movie due to the hair, but the term "reasonable" does come into play when I could simply screenshot PH and google images for "Die Hard" and assemble this in five minutes.
i706128_PHDH.jpg

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice, but I still have to agree to disagree. I just don't think it's him. It's damn close but I I never noticed the similarity until you pointed it out.

Shame it happens at a moment that otherwise works fine in the movie. (One of Garner's better moments of acting)

Faustus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, too, had the misfortune of watching this film in the cinema. The attack were very impressive, but the love story plot was just irritating. I think ADM did an incredible job. His edit makes the film properly paced, the annoying love plot is gone and the film is of watchable length. I think it's great work and I gave it 5 stars.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed watching the movie all through the Japanese attack and it's aftermath of death and destruction. It was very well edited up to that point. I think the movie should have ended there, maybe with the stars getting medals and everybody horrified at the stupidity that is war.
The whole revenge plot was just too gang ho in my opinion and the film would have been better without it.

part one (until the end of the attack) 5/5
part two (the revenge) 2/5

Technically the edit was excellent.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting read. I'm a big fan of history and war films. I have a big collection of them.
It's just that the Japanese attack was portrayed in such a horrific manner with a lot of men dying horrible deaths and seeing it made a big impact on me. and then came the revenge plot and destroyed that feeling. the film changed into this mindless action thing that I didn't like.
The dignity of the beginning was lost. I've also read somewhere that the American president at the time knew about the attack but decided not to do anything to prevent it. I will not speculate on why he did it, but it makes me sad that things like that happened and still happen.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree to what mighty says. Even if the revenge part did take place in history, it sucked plotwise for Pearl Harbor. That is why I still have Pearl Harbor on my to-edit list, even though ADM's here is wonderful.

Top Bottom