• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

PAYBACK - The Hybrid Cut

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
paybackthcpostersmall.jpg

Fanedit Film Name: Payback – The Hybrid Cut
Original Film Name: Payback: Straight Up – The Director’s Cut

Fanedit Type: TrueFan Edit

Original Running Time: 90 Minutes
Original Release Date: October 2006

Fanedit Running Time: 98 Minutes
Fanedit Release Date: Feb 2012

Amount of time cut: 19 minutes cut/27 minutes added

Brief Synopsis: What was supposed to be a routine robbery turns into a double cross when Porter's wife and his best friend shoot him and leave him for dead. But things take a turn for the bizarre when Porter recuperates seeking revenge, only to learn that the money is now in the hands of a crime organization.

Intention: To blend together the best elements of the theatrical cut and director’s cut of Payback and give it more of a film noir feel by making it black & white.

Edit Details: I used the Director's Cut as the main source as the picture quality is better than the Theatrical Cut. I went through it scene by scene and added back deleted elements from the Theatrical Cut. I combined the best elements from each throughout.

Cut-List:

Entire film in Black & White and each scene’s brightness and contrast levels adjusted.
The main source used was the Director’s Cut (DC) with scenes added or replaced from the Theatrical Cut (TC).

If I don’t comment on a particular scene or segment of the film then it means I kept it intact the way it is in the DC.

Pre-Credits:
Added Fanedit.org video logo
Replaced the “Principle” title card (red lettering) with white lettering.

Opening Credit Sequence:
Added Main Theme from the TC by Chris Boardman. Replaced all audio with TC audio.
All opening credits were re-created in Vegas using the same font and size (or as close as I could get to it) and overlaying them on top. Some aren’t perfect but it’s as good as I could get them.
Added shots of Porter jumping the turn style and the train approaching. (But all narration in the opening sequence was deleted.)
Deleted the lines “Shut up. I cured you.” when Porter chokes the bum.
Used TC footage of Porter stealing Edward Johnson’s wallet to better match the audio.
Used TC footage of Porter in the bathroom to include Kris Kristofferson and Chris Boardman’s credits.
Added “Additional Music by Scott Stambler” credit.
Used TC footage of Porter in the pawn shop to match the audio.
Trimmed shot of Porter watching Lynn arrive home to match the audio

Porter and Lynn scenes:
Used DC audio when Porter walks up to Lynn’s door. Switch to TC audio when he kicks the door in.
Used TC footage of Porter looking for Val in Lynn’s apartment to match the audio.
Porter beating Lynn scene is included.
Used TC footage and audio when Porter puts Lynn to bed and takes away her heroin. Switched to DC footage after he leaves her room, but kept the TC audio.
Slightly trimmed the TC audio in one shot to match the footage.
Switched back to DC audio when Porter wakes up the next morning.

Flashback/Chow Heist/Betrayal:
Used DC footage and audio for the most part. After Val’s line, “Yeah, rule number one,” switched to TC audio.
Trimmed TC audio slightly to match DC footage.
Switched to TC footage when Val leans down to show Porter the picture. This was to match the audio.

Drug Dealer:
Used TC footage and audio for close-up of Porter then switched back to DC footage and audio for the wide shot of him getting out of bed.
Used DC footage and audio for drug dealer scene, until right before Porter says “Thanks” when I switched to TC audio (to include the James Brown song “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World”).

Stegman’s Introduction:
Used DC footage and TC audio when Porter asks the guy at the desk where Stegman is. Trimmed a few frames off the TC audio to match the footage.
Switched to DC audio when the scene goes to the back room.
Switched back to TC audio when Porter leaves to talk to Stegman.
Used DC footage and TC audio for the scene with Porter and Stegman outside.
Trimmed the TC audio to delete a line to match the footage.

Pearl’s Introduction/Val’s Phone Call:
Used DC footage and TC audio throughout.
Trimmed a few frames off the TC audio before Pearl goes up to Val’s apartment to match the footage.
Deleted the “Woof” sound one of the guys makes when he sees Pearl.
Switched to TC footage after Val says “Make it uh…”

Added scene from TC of Porter talking to a prostitute to get information about Rosie.

Porter & Rosie (#1):
Used DC footage and audio throughout.
Deleted the last part of the scene where Rosie gets mad at Porter.
Switched to TC audio during the end of Rosie’s line “The Oakwood Arms, Union & 17th” to segue way into next scene.

Porter & Val & Pearl:
Used DC footage throughout. Used TC audio for start of scene. Switched to DC audio right after Porter’s line “You look like a pro. You keep your mouth shut and you’ll walk out of here.”

Val & Carter:
Kept the scene from the DC at the start (frisking Val). Switched to TC footage and audio once he enters Carter’s office.
Trimmed end of scene with Carter talking to Phil to remove Carter telling Phil to get rid of Porter.

Val on the phone with Pearl:
I did not add the fat guy screaming from the TC. Also, I did not add back the Jimi Hendrix song in the next scene.

Porter & Rosie (#2):
Used DC footage throughout. Used DC audio for majority. Switched to TC audio when the picture falls on the floor and Rosie picks it up. Switched back to DC audio when it cuts to Val outside.

Porter & Carter:
Used DC footage and audio when Porter is frisked outside Carter’s office.
Switched to TC footage and audio when he enters the office.
Cut out Carter saying “Yes” in response to Porter’s line, “One man. You go high enough, you always come to one man. Who?”
Added Kris Kristofferson as Bronson.
Rest of scene plays out the same as in the TC.

Porter and the Cops outside Carter’s Office (#2):
Used DC footage throughout. Used TC audio until after the line “Might be enough to be a nutcracker” and switched to DC audio.

Added back in the subplot of Kidnapping Johnny.

Porter & Fairfax & Bronson:
Used TC footage and audio for the majority of this segment.
Deleted Bronson’s line “I’ll swat you with $130,000”. Cuts from Bronson saying “You’ve proven to be a real pain in the ass. A mosquito.” to Porter shooting Carter’s suitcase.
After Fairfax says “Man that’s just mean…” cut to a short bit from the DC (but kept the rest of Fairfax’s line). Porter tells Bronson to send one man to King’s Cross Station with a blue backpack full of cash.
Cut to Bronson saying “You’re one hell of an optimist.”
Cut to Porter saying “Well, if you don’t, you’ll never see little Johnny again…”
Rest of scene plays out the way it is in the TC.

After Porter leaves Fairfax, the rest of the film is the DC.

Added “Recut by Neglify” and some thank you credits before the end credits.
Replaced end credit music.

Special Thanks: To AvP, bleujayone, bondukkevin, blueyoda, Dwight Fry, L8wrtr and Ryan G.

Release Information: Dual-Layer DVD and Single-Layer DVD.

Special Features:
Dual-Layer DVD:
- Scene Comparison feature, showing the different versions of a key scene, with comments by Neg.
- FanEdit Trailer Gallery, with a total of seven trailers for upcoming edits.
- Drinking Game subtitle track.
- 2 Easter Eggs

Single-Layer DVD:
- Drinking Game subtitle track.
- 1 Easter Egg (different than what's on the DL disc).

Cover Art by AvP:

3d-62.jpg

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on finishing, looking forward to watching this!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just downloaded the DLC and attempted to extract it with WinRar. I see what you mean now. I get an error message saying I need file 23 to continue. This is odd, because there were only 22 parts.

Also tried it with 7zip and get a similar error message. I apologize profusely and will figure out what happened.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I just downloaded the DLC and attempted to extract it with WinRar. I see what you mean now. I get an error message saying I need file 23 to continue. This is odd, because there were only 22 parts.

Also tried it with 7zip and get a similar error message. I apologize profusely and will figure out what happened.

Will be downloading when this is sorted, very interested in checking this edit out :)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All right. I got it all sorted out. Short version - Neg messed up.

All the files for the SL DVD have been tested. They downloaded and extracted properly.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When given the choice between SL or DL, I chose.... wisely.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This movie just oozes cool.

From the first scene, you will forget you are watching a fanedit, and will be able to just sit back and enjoy a kick ass, perfectly edited grungy black and white Noir edition of Payback.

Neglify has edited this film with great care and skill. His cuts are invisible, with the exception of the bold color change, which adds depth to the story and sets the mood perfectly from the opening scene.

The picture quality was excellent for DVD (I watched the DL version), and the audio was nicely balanced throughout. A couple of scenes seemed very slightly out of sync, but this may have been my tv playing tricks on me.

The extras are a nice bonus (looking forward to trying the drinking game), and the menus are simple and elegant in their design and function.

Congrats Neg, you done good sir.

A thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended edit.

10/10

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Psssssssssssssssssssssttttttt! *whispers* Where are the two easter eggs on the DL disc? *ends whispering*

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Psssssssssssssssssssssttttttt! *whispers* Where are the two easter eggs on the DL disc? *ends whispering*

Psssssssssssssssssssssttttttt! *whispers* Play around in the special feature menus. And watch the entire Comparison Feature and play around with the chapters I made for it. *ends whispering*

higgins

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent edit, but two complaints:
a) Sound badly out of sync in the "I'll come back when the kids are not around" scene (DL disc on VLC)
b) I was immediately put off by the brownish tinge outlining on the opening credits font. Popped right out in the BW background.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
higgins said:
Excellent edit, but two complaints:
a) Sound badly out of sync in the "I'll come back when the kids are not around" scene (DL disc on VLC)
b) I was immediately put off by the brownish tinge outlining on the opening credits font. Popped right out in the BW background.

Thanks for the feedback higgins.

Firstly, I know that some of the credits are not perfect and the originals can still be seen a little bit. This was the most difficult part of the entire edit. It was very frustrating because when I would align them in the preview screen they would look perfect, but (as many are aware) the preview screen LIES. When I would render them some would be perfect and some would be off. I would have to fix them by trial and error and get them as close as possible. I'm sorry it put you off.

As for the scene you mentioned being out of sync, I just rewatched it and it looked fine to me. Don't know what to say about that.

But I hope you enjoyed it despite the above. :)

higgins

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Firstly, I know that some of the credits are not perfect and the originals can still be seen a little bit.
No, I don't mean the positioning at all, I meant the colour. Never even noticed the original credits until you said it. Take a random screenshot consisting a credit, then use some image editor, irfanview, gimp, what have you, to set the mode into grayscale. The beige/brownish tinge disappears. I did a grayscale rip of your edit and with the colour gone, the credits look fine.

And yea, it's a great edit. I never even knew there was an alternate ending, ha!

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What a funny movie. I think your edit worked well Neg. Congrats! I am generally a little suspicious of black & white, but somehow for this movie it really works better than color! The lack of resolution with the storyline at the end was surprising but also ok. All that for $70k! Brilliant.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
partway thru. enjoying it quite a bit.

i should point out, the first four minutes of the movie was lifted directly from this:

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just finished it, and i enjoyed myself more than plinkett with his cat. nice job, negman!

later this month, when i have a decent chunk of time, i'll pull out the disc of the original and compare the two.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
just finished it, and i enjoyed myself more than plinkett with his cat. nice job, negman!

later this month, when i have a decent chunk of time, i'll pull out the disc of the original and compare the two.

Sweet. Thanks ssj! Which original you going to rewatch? Theatrical or Director's Cut?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theatrical.

i like how the music gives the film almost a goofy, high-energy quality. unexpected, but it works.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
theatrical.

i like how the music gives the film almost a goofy, high-energy quality. unexpected, but it works.

Concur. I tried to put back in as much theatrical music as possible.

Top Bottom