• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Passengers: Aurora (A Rearrangement)

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THIS EDIT IS NOW ON IFDB!
banner-November-2019.jpg

While cleaning up my hard drive I found my 'old' edit of Passengers, inspired by the Passengers, Rearranged video by Nerdwriter.

Here is the video if you're interested (HEAVY SPOILERS):

If you're not familiar with Passengers, it's a film set in a 'dystopian' future where you can travel to other planet colonies for a 'new life'. The spaceship-journey to get there lasts over a century, so passengers are put in 'hibernation' state. However, on this trip, two passengers, Jim (Chris Pratt) and Aurora (Jennifer Lawrence) wake up 90 years earlier than they're supposed to.

The original release is a pretty boring movie, we follow Chris Pratt's character, Jim, throughout the film, and see his personal struggles with his fate, and his relationship with Jennifer Lawrence's character, Aurora, flourish. If you've seen the movie then you know the plot, but, if you haven't, then that's all I can really tell you without ruining it.

Essentially what this edit does is rearrange the movie to follow Aurora, which makes for a much more interesting viewing experience - activating the psychological elements that the original film set up.

The following is essentially what’s been changed. (SPOILERS)
  • Cards
    • FE Warning
    • FE.org new Netflix style Bumper
    • My logo bumper
  • Opening shots
    • Same opening shot, with Aurora added under Passengers in matching style
    • Rearranged/removed some shots
    • Cropped some establishing shots to get rid of cheesy location info
  • Aurora/Jim
    • Starts with pods opening 'simultaneously'
    • Jim walks around alone for a bit before running into Aurora
    • Movie pretty much carries out as normal until the "reveal"
  • The "Reveal"
    • Spliced in 'flashbacks' of Jim's year alone with Aurora's 'freakout'
      • Adds to the tension/sympathy to Aurora as opposed to Jim
        • I chose clips that make him seem more insane than sympathetic
  • Third Act
    • Laurence Fishburne unfortunately gets even less screen-time in this edit.
    • Really didn't cut that much, just some unnecessary shots and some dialogue changes
    • Got rid of many 'cheesy' lines/tropes
  • Credits
    • Replaced Levitate by Imagine Dragons with an infinitely more fitting Across the Universe by The Beatles
    • Again added Aurora under Passengers in matching style.
    • Logo cards to fill the blackness as the song fades

1TU7nUZ.jpg

Please PM me if you’d like a link.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I re-forgot about this edit... I'm gonna try re-cutting it using the 4K; my old hardware couldn't handle it, and I need a cutlist for the academy anyways. Hoping to get a good chunk of it done this long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving)

I'll update with my progress.

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
I re-forgot about this edit... I'm gonna try re-cutting it using the 4K disc; my old hardware couldn't handle it, and I need a cutlist for the academy anyways. Hoping to get a good chunk of it done this long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving)

I'll update with my progress.

Welcome back! I’m glad to see you’re going to be working on this again. I’ve always been curious about this version of the film existing and even tried a few times to cut a version myself, but would lose interest halfway through.

I’m definitely looking forward to this

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"kidjupiter92" I have a 720p copy available already if you're interested.

I edited this on my old MacBook which couldn't handle editing 4K, but my new machine can easily. The audio is fine, so I'm literally just matching shots from the 4K copy to the 720p edit. I don't remember how much I changed, so I don't know if this will be a simple rearrangement or a complete mix.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, this took less time than I thought. Writing the full cutlist now, will update the OP with it, I'm gonna export/upload the edit and submit it to the academy tonight/tomorrow!

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The HD file is exported and uploaded. Just submitted to @"DominicCobb" for Academy review.

Fingers crossed!

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Made a quick poster for use in Plex/iTunes/etc.

BxD7y37.png

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to pending.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having your thread moved to pending approval is an awesome feeling dont worry

Edit: This is why my friends call me a nerd

I think passengers is a really good film already but ill give your edit a watch.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just realized an error in editing at 33:51. Spoilers incoming.

I edited over dialogue in the original film, but the mouth movement was still there:

So, cut off that clip before the mouth movement started, and used Optical Flow time mapping to extend the shot of Aurora:

Not going to re-export until I get feedback on the edit, as there will presumably be more things I need to change.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had an absolute blast watching this edit, it is 100 percent getting approved, the cuts are pretty much perfect, good narrative and really good audio editing. And whatever FE Academy Member looks at this edit, you are one lucky bugger.
EVERY FANEDITOR NEEDS TO SEE THIS.

I'll send you a PM with more details.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I already made one but thanks @"SonofSinbad"

macmilln said:

BxD7y37.png

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
I already made one but thanks @"SonofSinbad"
macmilln said:

BxD7y37.png

Flipping hell thats sick, yours is way better.
Definitely gonna have your edit on my plex.

HALS

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry it took me a little while to watch and write some feedback on this - life has been a bit busy. Firstly, I would like to say that I very much enjoyed your edit and it will be replacing the original for me. Shifting the reveal so that the audience experience it at the same time as Aurora takes a rather flat and predictable film and makes it far more interesting. The edit is also very well done on a technical level and I noticed no major problems with either the audio or video quality. If we're being picky I did spot another scene where dialogue had been removed/altered without the mouth syncing up at 5:46 (I wouldn't ordinarily mention it except that you've done a great job correcting another instance in the video above) and I felt the music transition at 41:39 was perhaps a little abrupt (but not distractingly so).

As I've said, overall I really enjoyed the narrative changes of the edit, however, I do have a few suggestions. Firstly, I found it a bit confusing at the start as to when the two characters are intended to have woken up. As it currently stands the beginning of the edit seems to suggest they both wake up at the same time but it's soon established that Jim woke up over a year before Aurora. Not only is this slightly confusing but by making Jim the first character we're properly introduced to (even if only for a short time) I think it takes away from your intention to make Aurora the main character.

I can see a few reasons why you may have left the scenes with Jim in:
1) to show what happened to the ship and what woke up Jim - I think there's enough dialogue with Mancuso to piece together that Jim woke up from an error. Alternatively, the scenes of the asteroids/Jim waking up could also be inserted here as a flash back when they are discussing the failures with Mancuso, perhaps following the "what happened that day" line from Aurora. The beginning of the film could then play out as 'establishing shot of ship (no asteroids or error for the moment)' - 'Aurora wakes up' - 'Aurora meets Jim'.
2) to introduce us to Jim - I think this would be better handled by us meeting Jim at the same time as Aurora as she is the main character now.
3) for the expository dialogue between Jim/Arthur about being woken up early - there are other scenes which explain this elsewhere in the edit.
4) because it simply works better that way because of something I haven't noticed ;)

Outside of this, one last change I would suggest would be to consider moving Jim asking Arthur if he can keep a secret (9:30) until later in the film, perhaps to 19:27 when Aurora has just left Jim and Arthur alone at the bar. This way the audience could still be guessing what the secret is - maybe it's just that Jim is falling for Aurora as the next scene shows a gift he made for her - instead of the rather large clue that Jim has done something dodgy given the immediate cut to Aurora waking up from a nightmare.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Overall it's a much more enjoyable film because of your edits and will replace the original for me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A virtually flawless edit from @"macmilln". Other than the following error, I couldn't spot a single edit, as hard as I listened. There is only one point that needs fixed before this can be approved:

00.05.46 - Pratt's "It's just us" line is way out of sync with his lips. I think you've put the audio of Pratt saying "It's just us" over the video of him saying "Just me". This was a mistake right?

The Netflix style FE/macmilln titlecard looks very professional, as do the extra tweaks to the credits, great job. The flashback insertions were beautifully handled. The new ending music is so perfect, nice choice. I'm not a fan of deleting the end credits and the names of eveyone who worked on the film for no obivous reason but it's a minor quibble. The movie is still flawed but trimming out a good half-hour lets the viewer enjoy the aspects of the story that are very interesting, without undue narrative clutter. At a brisk 83-minutes it's a captivating Outer Limits/Twilight Zone/Black Mirror-esque watch.

That one line needs fixed, then I can check it over and this can be approved.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
A virtually flawless edit from @"macmilln". Other than the following error, I couldn't spot a single edit, as hard as I listened. There is only one point that needs fixed before this can be approved:
00.05.46 - Pratt's "It's just us" line is way out of sync with his lips. I think you've put the audio of Pratt saying "It's just us" over the video of him saying "Just me". This was a mistake right?

The Netflix style FE/macmilln titlecard looks very professional, as do the extra tweaks to the credits, great job. The flashback insertions were beautifully handled. The new ending music is so perfect, nice choice. I'm not a fan of deleting the end credits and the names of eveyone who worked on the film for no obivous reason but it's a minor quibble. The movie is still flawed but trimming out a good half-hour lets the viewer enjoy the aspects of the story that are very interesting, without undue narrative clutter. At a brisk 83-minutes it's a captivating Outer Limits/Twilight Zone/Black Mirror-esque watch.

That one line needs fixed, then I can check it over and this can be approved.

Thanks @"TM2YC" for all your kind words about the edit, it means a lot!

Can't believe I didn't notice this. All I needed to do was shorten one clip and extend another... 

Whatever, here's the fixed one.

Password: fanedit.org

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:

Can't believe I didn't notice this. All I needed to do was shorten one clip and extend another... 

Sorted, thanks. This edit is approved then :) . Thread moved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
macmilln said:

Sorted, thanks. This edit is approved then :) . Thread moved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Woooooo!

Quick question, would you consider this a FanFix or a FanMix? I'm leaning more towards FanFix but I'm not positive.

Top Bottom