• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Pardon Us: Paroled

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Laurel and Hardy's first proper feature together but not one I am fond of, at least of the 70-minute version available on DVD (little information available regarding the shorter cuts). Separate from the fact that modern viewers would most likely find a few scenes distinctly unfunny the film feels in need of a good trim, my aim here was to take the feature and edit it down into a hopefully more enjoyable short.

Work in progress cut is about 35 minutes long, featuring both minor and significant deletions including:

• 15-odd minutes after they are put in solitary confinement, L&H no longer escape and hide out in disguise
  • The "Farm in Michigan" song
  • The scene with the dentist (this sort of thing makes me wince)
  • The scenes where L&H are suspected of informing
  • The empty promise of a fancy dinner and subsequent disappointment
  • The warden's daughter scenes (variably included on older cuts of the film)

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have done a little more cutting, the rather long sequence of Stan fumbling around on the bunk bed has now been shortened by more than a minute.

Still may need a little more work though, and want to see if I can do anything to make the image better. If anybody is interested in seeing the current version though I would be happy to hear any feedback before submission, this may be the most drastic edit I have attempted so far!

Reduced from ~70 mins to ~34:30 (once slowed down from PAL 25 FPS to 24 FPS).

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have done a little more cutting, the rather long sequence of Stan fumbling around on the bunk bed has now been shortened by more than a minute.

Still may need a little more work though, and want to see if I can do anything to make the image better. If anybody is interested in seeing the current version though I would be happy to hear any feedback before submission, this may be the most drastic edit I have attempted so far!

Reduced from ~70 mins to ~34:30 (once slowed down from PAL 25 FPS to 24 FPS).
I'd love to take look at this! (Though you'll likely want to kill me - I still have several of your edits, along with other people's, awaiting a watch).

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Completed and submitted, a few more minor changes made and now coming in at just over 38 minutes.

Top Bottom