• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Panning 5.1 audio in Vegas 18

WitchDR

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello! I'm wondering if any one can help me figure out how the surround sound 5.1 channels should be set up in Vegas? When I listen to the original MP4's I made from my Blu-ray rips, I noticed the audio is very clear. But when I dragged the MP4 into Vegas the surround sound panning is completely different than listening to the original file. Does Vegas just randomly place tracks in different spots and is this something that needs to be done manually when working with 5.1 in Vegas?

For example I noticed that the dialogue/sound effects have been panned way over to the left channel when listening with headphones even though the surround sound panel says it's Center, Front 100%.

I know doing 5.1 audio work ain't great with headphones, but the original files sound perfectly intact the way they should be when listening with headphones as well.

Anybody here who has knowledge to run me through the basics of getting the 5.1 in Vegas to sound how it's supposed to be intended would be a great help! This is my first time working with 5.1 so I'm still really trying to get it down.

If you right click on the audio channel where you see the visual panning and select "Surround Panner" (it's already selected) it will fix this issue.
pan.png

Last edited:
Hey thanks DigMod for the response!

Okay so when I click "Surround Panner..." it opens up another more detailed window of the panner. The way your surround sound channels are set up in the image you sent there is exactly how mine is:

2 "Center, Front 100%" channels
1 "LFE" channel
1 "Center, Rear 100%" channel

Is this the standard set up for Vegas when opening 5.1?

Mine is set up just as the image you shared and the audio panning is vastly different to the original file that I put into Vegas. Do I need to use the "Surround Panner..." to manually set them back to how they were? You have "Surround Pan" highlighted in your image, mine are already like that as well, except for the "LFE" channel of course.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant click on "Surround Pan" That will fix the issue

A quick follow up, should I have "Surround Pan" enabled on each track? I noticed some of the tracks only have the 2 front or 2 back speakers highlighted.

A quick follow up, should I have "Surround Pan" enabled on each track? I noticed some of the tracks only have the 2 front or 2 back speakers highlighted.
I do the same process for all of the panned tracks and leave the LFE on that setting. My aac files importat as FL/FR, C, LFE, RL/RR so it doesn't really require you to pan left of right, but if your audio is a single mono track for your front and rear r/l channels you'll want to pan them to those areas.

Okay thanks! I'm not quite sure if my tracks are mono. My audio files are ACC as well. My Handbrake settings when I changed the files to MP4's for editing were set to 5.1 channels for the audio encode. So I'm gonna assume the tracks are like yours on that front. I'll enable them all and see how it sounds.

The unmuffled music track is fully panned to the front two speakers. Where as the more muffled secondary music track is panned to the 2 back speakers. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be. I might leave those 2 alone.

The unmuffled music track is fully panned to the front two speakers. Where as the more muffled secondary music track is panned to the 2 back speakers. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be. I might leave those 2 alone.
Yes, you'll want to leave those panned center front and center rear.

Okay thanks! I'm not quite sure if my tracks are mono. My audio files are ACC as well. My Handbrake settings when I changed the files to MP4's for editing were set to 5.1 channels for the audio encode. So I'm gonna assume the tracks are like yours on that front. I'll enable them all and see how it sounds.
I'd recommend ditching Handbrake. You're reencoding with that program so you get a lossy file and it takes a long time. If you use avidemux you can simply change the container from mkv ot mp4 and the only actual conversion is the audio to aac.

MakeMKV to avidemux = 1:1 video mp4 with vegas pro compatible 5.1 aac audio.

Back
Top Bottom