• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

PANDORA - "Version 2" HD & SD releases coming soon

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FanEdit Information
Type of Fanedit: True Fanedit
Intention With This Edit: To remove the subplot of Jake acting as a traitor to the Na'vi from the plot of Avatar, along with numerous other cuts, trims, and edits to improve the film.
Original Title: Avatar
New Title: Pandora
Original Runtime: 162 minutes (2 hours, 42 minutes)
New Runtime: 145 minutes (2 hours, 25 minutes)
Time Cut: 16-17 minutes
Software Used: Sony Vegas 7 (video editing), Adobe Photoshop CS2 (image editing), Adobe After Effects 6.5 (compositing), Cinema Craft Encoder 2 (rendering), Sony DVD Architect 4.5 (DVD authoring), AutoGK (AVI rendering)

AVI Release Information
- Resolution: 720x416
- Audio format: 5.1 Dolby Surround
- Language: English

Major and Minor Edits:
- Complete Removal of the subplot of Jake acting as a spy for the military behind the scientists and Na'vi & the Na'vi rejecting Jake after his reveal as a spy.
(This was my biggest point of contention in the story - I hated and I mean absolutely HATED the subplot of Jake acting as a spy/double agent to both the scientists and Na'vi. It serves no purpose other than creating forced and false drama for the characters (it was this element of the movie that reminded me the most of Fox's abysmal animated garbage, Ferngully: The Last Rainforest...) and giving a contrived reason for the Na'vi and Neytiri to reject Jake. What shocked me is just how easily this subplot can be completely removed from the film and with just a bit of editing, there's no affect from it left on the main characters)

- Cut down on some of Jake's monologue in the film's opening
- Cut the company men telling Jake that he'll "get very good pay"
- Cut the "fresh meat" and "dinner on wheels" jokes by the marines
- Cut Quaritch's "You're not in Kansas anymore" line
- Cut Quaritch's lines after he says "Pandora rules" and Jake's monologue to the Colonel
- Cut Norm telling Jake "This is your Avatar now"
- Cut Jake trying to be "science smart" for the camera in his first video diary
- Cut Norm introducing Grace by name to the audience offscreen
- Cut Max telling Jake when to meet for Avatar training and to use "big words" in front of Grace
- Cut Grace's "Oops" when she kicks the cup out of the way of Selfridge's golf ball
- Removed all references of the name "Unobtainium" from the film
- Cut Jake poking at the spongy lining of the linkup capsule
- Cut Norm telling Jake "They're gonna put you out"
- Cut the insert "close-up" shot of human Jake's face reacting to Avatar Jake running in the garden
- Recuts to Jake's meeting with Quaritch, making him mostly silent as Quaritch explains his need for someone to inform him on the Na'vi
- Cut the grunt's response to Grace after they land in the forrest
- Cut Grace telling Jake to stand his ground to the Hammerhead
- Cut the majority of Jake's taunts toward the Hammerhead
- Retinted the scenes of Jake wandering through the forrest and Neytiri watching him in hiding
- Cut the scene of Grace, Norm, and Trudy searching for Jake before they have to return to the Compound
- Cut Neytiri telling Jake for the second time that he's "like a baby"
- Shorten some of the "long pauses" shots between Neytiri and Tsu'tey after the Na'vi capture Jake
- Cut Jake saying he's from the "Jarhead Clan"
- Cut the "Clan supper" sequence which introduces Jake in his native clothing and looking like an incompetent ass to the Na'vi
- Cut Jake meeting with Quaritch and Selfridge and getting his assignments for gathering intelligence on the Na'vi
- Cut Jake taunting Norm by saying "Guess who has a date with the Chief's daughter"
- Cut the insert "Jake's reaction" shot from the scene of Tsu'tey riding up and telling him to go away
- Cut Jake passing on intel on Na'vi and Hometree to Quaritch and Selfridge
- Cut the line "She knew I was talking with the Colonel" from Jake's monologue
- Little cuts throughout the "Neytiri trains Jake" montage
- Cut Jake refering to Neytiri's beliefs as "Treehugger crap"
- Little trim to the shots of the Banshee attacking Jake, to removing visual inconsistencies
- Cut Tsu'tey laughing at Jake nearly falling off the cliff
- Cut Jake and Neytiri laughing outloud after they escape Toruk
- Cut Jake's remeeting Colonel Quaritch before his Na'vi initiation ceremony
- Cut Jake's internal monologue after he and Neytiri mate
- Cut Grace's line of "Needing to muzzle" Quaritch to Selfridge
- Cut Grace's line of "Needing to understand if you want to coexist with the Na'vi" to Selfridge
- Cut Quaritch's line of being "So happy, he could give Jake a kiss"
- Cut the end of Quaritch "It'll be humane" speech, to remove the line "... more or less"
- Completely removed the sequence of Jake explaining to the Na'vi that he was a spy for the military, Neytiri rejecting Jake, and the Clan capturing Jake & Grace and preparing to execute them for their betrayal
- Numerious recuts/edits to the "Hometree Bombing" sequence to remove the "Jake & Grace execution" subplot
- Completely removed Trudy's presence from the "Hometree Bombing" sequence
- Cut Jake meeting Neytiri with her dead father and her telling him in anger to leave and never come back
- Cut the final scene of the Na'vi fleeing from the "Hometree Bombing" sequence
- Cut Trudy's reaction shots from Grace getting shot
- Cut Grace's "I'm a scientist, I don't believe in fairy tales" line
- Cut the opening of Jake's monologue after he wakes up in ash-covered wasteland
- Cut Neytiri's lines after she say's "I was afraid, Jake..." to Jake
- Several cuts to Quaritch's lines during the military briefing, to reduce poor dialogue and acting
- Cut Trudy's "Fricken daisycutters" line, along with some of her reaction shots with her, Jake, & Norm in the moble linkup station
- Numerous little cuts and edits throughout the final battle sequences, to improve pacing, reduce poor dialogue and acting, and remove visual inconsistencies
- Cut the insert "close-up" shot of Trudy's face before her chopper is blown up by Quaritch
- Cut Jake telling Neytiri "That's an order!"
- Cut the scene of the Hammerhead stomping onto the mech and the soldier inside screaming
- Cut the shot of Moat looking up from the Tree of Souls at the shuttle bomber
- Little cuts to the "Quaritch VS Neytiri" fight, to remove a few visual inconsistencies
- Cut Jake telling Quaritch "It's all over"
- Cut Jake telling Quaritch "I knew you were gonna say that"
- Cut the extended shot of Quaritch waiting several moment before ejecting his mech's cockpit hatch
- Cut Quaritch asking Jake "You think you're one of them?"
- Cut the "linkup tunnel" shot while human Jake tries to relink with his Avatar
- Cut the final shot of Quaritch's "death face"
- Removed Jake's final line "This is Jake Scully signing off"
- Added new title "Pandora" to the end credits
- Added new music score for the end credits: "Oraanu Pi" & "Krosah" by E.S. Posthumus

Release Info
AVI release (1.4GB, Xvid-encoded)
Available through RS

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW! i am ready to see this for sure!! i under estimated "Avatar" when it was in theaters, but when i watched it i was simply blown away by the plot, acting, i should just say everything, but the visuals were phenomenal!!!! i cannot wait to see what you made here, nice job man!! looks like a great edit!!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any plans for a DVD version?

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thunderclap said:
Any plans for a DVD version?
Yeah, I'll be working on the DVD-9 shortly.
(my policy on releasing fanedits is typically release an AVI version first, followed by the DVD version at a later date)

pbush77

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Label me confused. :-?

I thought that when something was on RS, the dlc was on fanedit.info. But I cannot find Pandora listed anywhere on that site. As RS doesn't exactly have a search facility, where can we find this very-nice sounding edit? :-(

And I don't suppose you used the Avatar blu-ray for this edit, by any chance? An mkv version of this would be so amazing that I'd probably explode! :-D

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pbush77 said:
Label me confused. :-?

I thought that when something was on RS, the dlc was on fanedit.info. But I cannot find Pandora listed anywhere on that site. As RS doesn't exactly have a search facility, where can we find this very-nice sounding edit? :-(

And I don't suppose you used the Avatar blu-ray for this edit, by any chance? An mkv version of this would be so amazing that I'd probably explode! :-D

no you are right, the dlc hasnt been uploaded there yet. patience, should be available soon. :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice Jasonn. Look forward to viewing this.

pbush77

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Exciting. But it asks for a password to brockman.dreamhost.com (after an "incorrect login") no matter what method I try to get the dlc file.

Is it just me?

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pbush77 said:
No, I didn't - my PC workstation lacks a BluRay reader or burner, so I don't do fanedits in HD.

(heck, I only finally picked up a BluRay player for my entertainment center just last week and the only BluRay discs that I have are Fantastic Mr Fox and The Matrix)

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pbush77 said:
Exciting. But it asks for a password to brockman.dreamhost.com (after an "incorrect login") no matter what method I try to get the dlc file.

Is it just me?

Unobtanium lol

Try it now, it should work.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This will be interesting to see with the subplot completely removed. I honestly expected your run time to be shorter though with that subplot being gone. I'm at around 14 minutes and I just now finished the Hometree sequence (Btw, did you notice the absolutely terrible cut that Cameron & co. left in the movie when Jake was throwing Grace over the tree as they were running away? Continuity error AND a hard audio cut. Pretty embarrassing for a professional.)

I haven't worked on my edit for 4 or 5 days (I've been busy ripping up carpet in my living room, preparing for a vacation, doing research, and buying a new 3D Plasma/receiver/TV stand).

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the delay, my cover art for this project will be available in about ten hours.

pandora3dviewbytmbtm.jpg

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
(Btw, did you notice the absolutely terrible cut that Cameron & co. left in the movie when Jake was throwing Grace over the tree as they were running away? Continuity error AND a hard audio cut. Pretty embarrassing for a professional.)
There were quite a few visual continuity errors that made it into the film (characters repeating the same action twice, 'reaction' shots inserted in between a longer piece of footage, etc) which bugged the everliving hell out of me while editing.

(the one you mentioned, where Jake throws Grace over the same fallen tree twice, has been corrected in my edit)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Sorry for the delay, my cover art for this project will be available in about ten hours.

That cover art looks astoundingly good, TMBTM. I don't know how you do it.

This edit looks good, but I think I'll wait for the DVD this time.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
Kevinicus said:
(Btw, did you notice the absolutely terrible cut that Cameron & co. left in the movie when Jake was throwing Grace over the tree as they were running away? Continuity error AND a hard audio cut. Pretty embarrassing for a professional.)
There were quite a few visual continuity errors that made it into the film (characters repeating the same action twice, 'reaction' shots inserted in between a longer piece of footage, etc) which bugged the everliving hell out of me while editing.

(the one you mentioned, where Jake throws Grace over the same fallen tree twice, has been corrected in my edit)

Yeah, but the continuity error by itself wasn't that surprising to me, it was the hard audio cut that put it over the top, and was actually what made me notice it in the first place. I wasn't even looking at the monitor and heard it and thought I had made a mistake with a clip length somewhere.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I skimmed through this a little bit today. I'm not going to offer any critiques without watching it all the way through though. I will say that we have A LOT of very similar, if not identical cuts. These are mostly small cuts, and mostly early on. The biggest differences I see are your keeping of most of Jake's voice over material where I remove most of it. And then you decided to remove the "spy" element of the movie where I went more to tone down the envrionmental/political and other aspects of it.

One thing that surprised me considering you left out the "spy" element is that you didn't completely remove the first meeting between Jake and Quarritch. I fully expected it to jump right after Trudy told him she needed a gunner.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
One thing that surprised me considering you left out the "spy" element is that you didn't completely remove the first meeting between Jake and Quarritch. I fully expected it to jump right after Trudy told him she needed a gunner.
I debated about that, but I felt I still needed to include that scene of Jake meeting Quarritch in the film (in order for the two characters to be aware of each other's presence as the story progressed and to explain the Colonel's motivation toward the Na'vi), even though the "spy" subplot was excised from the rest of the plot and Jake is now pretty much a silent observer to Quarritch's request.

xDeeMx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched this and wow. This is probably one of the best fan-edits I've seen yet.

While the original is far too bloated and dragging, I enjoyed every minute of your edit. I was especially thankful for the removal of "Unobtanium". Jeez, whoever thought of that should be shot.

All the cuts were smooth and none of the scenes will be missed. The only thing that WAS missing is violence but that is of course not your fault. This movie would be so much better if the final battle was more like the one from Rambo.

If the edit was in 1080p it would be hands my favorite fan-edit ever but as it is now, it still shares the top with the likes of Batman Begins - The Dark Cut, Adywan's Ep. IV and War of the Stars.

Thank you, JasonN.

Top Bottom