• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Palpatine "flickering lights" effect

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is something that was done in various Revenge of the Sith fanedits, starting with Kerr's and then L8wrtr's and Hal9000's. I'm talking about an effect where the lights flicker on and off in the Emperor Palpatine transformation scene. Does anyone have any idea on how to accomplish this effect in Adobe Premiere? I'm working on a Mac with the Blu-Ray footage but I imagine this is the same no matter what platform you're on.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=8664]L8wrtr[/MENTION] is on Mac, not sure if he used Premiere or not.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While the details of the particular edit likely vary, that effect is achieved by using key-frames to manipulate color levels during the sequence. In my case I used FCP's built in arsenal of various color filters, and whether FCP or Premiere, After Effects, or any other program, the basics will be the same; using key-frames to manipulate how saturated colors are/pushing the values closer and closer to black, thereby creating the illusion of the lights flickering or going out. If you want smooth, pulsating shifts you use the key-frames differently than if you want it to appear as flickering or on/off type changes, but either way key-frames and filters are what allow you to manipulate the visuals.

If you've not used key-frames before you should be able to consult the legion of 16 year olds who fill Youtube with tutorials. Of course, if you do some digging and trials and come up with specific questions after trying, I'm sure myself or someone else here may be able to provide some additional guidance.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
If you've not used key-frames before you should be able to consult the legion of 16 year olds who fill Youtube with tutorials.

LOL, true story. This is how I learned keyframing in Vegas.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe Kerr did this with something from Adobe. I think he told me he just lowered all the colors except blue for that sequence.
EDIT: I don't spelunk through the technical hell forums very often, and didn't realize I was bumping a year old thread.
EDIT EDIT: I'll just leave that unintentional typo alone.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
I believe Kerr did this with something from Adobe. I think he told me he just lowered all the colors except blue for that sequence.
EDIT: I don't spelunk through the technical hell forums very often, and didn't realize I was bumping a year old thread.
EDIT EDIT: I'll just leave that unintentional typo alone.
Notwithstanding this thread's age, that's actually a neat simple trick for a cool effect. You basically darken all colours except blue?

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe that was Kerr's method, yes.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
pqn6c.jpg

Top Bottom