• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Paint Shop Pro Question

Lace & Whiskey Fan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a competition running with a group of people over who can make the best dvd cover for a fan film we made. I'm hoping to win, there's just one thing I don't know how to do.
AI_STLASL_3D2.jpg
Using ThrowgnCpr's cover as an example, how exactly do I get a picture to blend into the background, such as the picture on the back fading into the white. I'm using Corel paint shop pro, and I could use the help :)

i think he means the cover it self...not making it 3d

Dunno if it has one, but if it does, surround the picture with the lasso tool. Now find the feather-option somewhere. With the selection around the picture, feather it about 5 pixels and press delete a few times (if it deletes the image, then you need to invert your selection, dunno how to do that in PSP)

Oh right, sorry. For some reason I read it as if you wanted to know how to do the 3D box art. My bad. Lack of sleep and all.

I'm not too familiar with Paint Shop Pro, but the effect is certainly feathering which can be done with the lasso tool in Photoshop as messenjah14 mentioned, but for more accuracy I'd recommend using a feathered brush tool attached to the eraser and decreasing the opacity and flow of the eraser tool. But that is all Photoshop stuff which does Lace & Whiskey Fan no good.

A quick google for pain shop pro and feather tutorial got me this: http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?id=136

I hope it helps you.

well since I made that cover, I guess I could provide some insight ;)

I use Photoshop, but I am assuming that the methods are quite similar. There are at least two ways to go about creating fades like this.

One, and automatic way, is to set the blending style of the layer (that is what I used for this particular cover). Apply a gradient overlay. Change the settings of the gradient to reflected (will only be on the edges) and set the color to the same color as the background (here it was white). You can play with the transparency , scale, and angle to get it how you like.

Another way, is more customizable, but can be difficult. You just use the eraser tool (set brush to appropriate diameter and feather) and set opacity. erase what you need. a lower opacity will just erase a bit, causing a sort of blend.

There are lots of ways to go about things, just depends on you software, what you know, and what you are comfortable with.

let me know if you need some more insight

Back
Top Bottom