• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Owning the source questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

staminaboy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey all - I had a couple of grey area questions about source materials I figured the staff could clarify. Hopefully this was a good place to post these.

The first involves movie trailers: Is the material used within the trailer for a movie, primarily sound elements, permissible to use within an edit? Trailers aren't specifically sold, but HD 5.1 versions can readily be found online and are also commonly found on DVD/Blu Ray. If someone obtains the trailer through one of these means, can it be used?

I'll expand with an example - I'm editing a scene in Avengers Age of Ultron where Ultron first appears to the crew. I want to score this scene with elements from that great "I've Got No Strings" cover sound across several trailers for the movie. Would that be permitted under forum rules?

The second question about sources: Are MP3 Albums permissible as a source? I know that quality wise, they aren't the ideal choice, but when given a choice of downloading a $7.99, legally sourced, MP3 Album from Amazon, versus paying $200 for a rare out of print copy of the CD with the same music, my budgeting common sense leans toward the MP3 album. Aside from just the budgeting aspect, we are ever moving into an age where CDs are becoming less and less prevalent and digital downloads are all that is available in some cases.

Any thoughts, input, direction on these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Edit: This probably should have just gone in the 'General' thread - I failed to see the giant 'Preserv Discussions' header and was thinking this was more of a 'Supplementary Material' type question. My bad! Please move if appropriate!

staminaboy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And in reading forum rules further I saw this in the forum conduct section:

"Do not debate our rules on the forum, especially details of the Own the Source rule. If you have questions about our rules, PM a staff member for clarification."

I'm not trying to start a debate here, merely wanted clarification on certain use cases. I'll take these questions to PMs! Feel free to close the thread!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any discussion regarding the own the source rule should be via PM's with staff. Feel free to contact any of us and we will help clarify any concerns.

The own the source rules can be found here.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom