• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Order of the Peaky Blinders

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original name: Peaky Blinders: Series 1
Fanedit name: Order of the Peaky Blinders

Original release date: 2013
Fanedit completion date: 30 Jan 21 (v1)
Fanedit release date: 06 Feb 21 (v1)
Faneditor name: Heavysyde

Fanedit type: TV-to-Film
Original run-time: 5hrs 35mins (+ credits)
Fanedit run-time: 2hrs 50mins (+ credits)
Time cut/added: 2hrs 45mins cut, 0 mins added

The goal of this fanedit is to edit down Series 1 of the excellent show Peaky Blinders into a film. The focus of the film is on Tommy Shelby, the expansion of the Peaky Blinders gang, and its rivalries with Campbell’s police force, Billy Kimber’s Gang, and the Lee Gang, with the IRA and Freddy Thorne’s communists being secondary antagonists.

Quite a lot of cuts were made throughout. Main cuts made were reducing Ada/Freddy/Polly storylines, as well as showing less of Grace and Campbell in order to keep more mystery surrounding their characters. Arthur's subplots (depression and his father) are cut. A lot of other minor scenes, subplots and filler are cut.

Here are most of the cuts. Don’t read if you don’t want to be heavily spoiled on Peaky Blinders S1, or on this edit:
  • Tightened a lot of “lingering” shots throughout, slow-mo walking etc.
  • Kept but reduced Danny Wizzbang. His first outburst (at the pub) is cut, his second outburst (at the Italian shop) is kept. His execution is kept but shortened and all dialogue is cut, as in this version, Danny is in on the mock execution. Danny being alive is only revealed near the end.
  • Polly, Freddy and Ada have all their scenes with one another (i.e. not involving Tommy) cut. The focus of the film is on the Tommy & the Peaky Blinders gang. This makes up quite a lot of the cuts.
  • Jeremiah’s few appearances are largely cut.
  • Campbell’s scenes at the police station are mostly cut until the end, and his dealings with Churchill are cut.
  • Grace’s introduction is delayed by cutting her first 2 scenes, so she first appears when singing in the pub. Her reveal as an agent is delayed til the end, meaning all her secret meetings with Campbell (bar the last one) are cut.
  • Tommy/Grace romance is kept but reduced.
  • Campbell beating Arthur is ended mid-beating. This fixes a continuity error, as in the original scene the whole beating is shown, including Campbell finishing and beginning to leave. In a later scene, Arthur recalls Campbell telling him things that he doesn’t say during the beating, so cutting it halfway implies the conversation took place off camera.
  • All sex scenes are cut.
  • All but one of Tommy’s nightmare’s (the first one) are cut. I think one was sufficient to give an idea to his state of mind, and to explain why Danny Wizzbang goes crazy in the next scene.
  • The police raid is significantly cut down. The reveal that Ada was in Freddy’s room is delayed to when Tommy & Campbell have their first meeting.
  • Tried to reduce the rock music where possible, but was difficult due to the stereo audio.
  • Scenes are re-ordered so that when Tommy says “we’re going to the races” at the end of Ep 2, the next scene is the Peaky Blinders going to the races towards the end of Ep 3.
  • Cut all haggling from Grace regarding money for the red dress.
  • Grace is not shown killing the IRA guy (as that would spoil she is a spy). Similarly, when Freddy is captured later on, the focus on her face is cut so as to not make it obvious that it was her who gave up Freddy’s location.
  • Arthur’s “Flanders blues” subplot is cut.
  • Tommy & Freddy stand-off is cut.
  • Danny Wizzbang’s scenes after his fake execution are cut – until towards the end of the film, when he is revealed to be alive by Arthur to Grace.
  • Billy Kimber attempting to rape Grace is not shown. Tommy interrupting is kept.
  • Recut scene where John asks for permission to marry Liz so that it takes place simultaneously with the Lee raid on the Peaky Blinders’ HQ.

• A lot of scenes have been moved around so that the pace of the film is improved, and so that all plotlines move in parallel.
  • Police beating the communist is not shown (but the subplot is kept).
  • Police raiding the canals after Grace’s tip is cut.
  • Cut Liz and the prostitution subplot involving her. John needing a wife is still resolved by Tommy marrying him to the Lee girl.
  • Ada’s birth is not shown.
  • After Freddy’s capture following Ada’s birth, he is not mentioned again. Subplot involving his prison break is cut. (I cut all subsequent scenes involving or mentioning him, but he does appear at the final fight with the Kimber boys, and I had no way of completely hiding him. Luckily, he is in the background).
  • Tommy at Danny’s grave is largely cut, brief snippets used later whilst Arthur talks to Grace about Danny still being alive.
  • Subplot involving Arthur Shelby Sr. is cut completely.
  • Shoot-out scene with the IRA guys is tightened. Tommy curb-stomping one of them is cut, as are the shots of the bloody mess he leaves behind.
  • Arthur’s suicide attempt is cut.
  • Campbell in the whorehouse is largely cut, but Tommy confronting him there is kept.
  • Several minor scenes (Tommy gathering his family members, Polly praying for her family, police officer calling Grace a whore) are cut.
  • The Shelby meeting is cut, as is Ada making up with Tommy (since in this version, Freddy isn’t freed from prison by Tommy).
  • Tommy realises that Grace has betrayed him. He doesn’t need Polly to spell it out.
  • Grace/Polly confrontation is cut.
  • Confrontation between Peaky Blinders and Kimber Lee’s Gang is tightened. Ada is completely cut from this, as it didn’t make much sense for her to be there with the baby, almost felt like comic relief. I tried to cut out Freddy from this scene as much as possible. Cut it so that Billy Kimber says “he’s right you know” instead of “she’s right you know”.
  • Ending is the same as in the show. I’m considering adding in brief shots from Series 2 Episode 1 to show that it is Grace who fires the shot instead of Campbell.

First draft (compressed) will be available soon - today or tomorrow. Note that the audio editing for this was a little tricky, as the BBC only released this with stereo audio, but I think the cuts are mostly un-noticeable. S1 of Peaky Blinders is, in my view, the best Season of the show by a mile, so I only cut about half of the series to make the film.

Although the edit is pretty much done, I'm still open to suggestions and making changes.

Poster:
MJFLQfK.png

Update 06 Feb 21
Both the full render and the compressed file are now available.

Last edited:

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's now uploaded, contact me for the edit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heavysyde said:
It's now uploaded, contact me for the edit.

Would you like this moved to completed?

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Would you like this moved to completed?

Not yet, I'd like some feedback before submitting to the IFDb, and will aim to make improvements. I'll probably submit in a week or so.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have been working on a v2 of this edit. A few minor changes have been made, mainly minor audio & video cuts. Have started rescoring. I am also considering recolouring the edit, as the series has a quite dark and bland/washed out look. Here are a few screenshots with some saturation applied. I don't have much experience with re-colouring so I'd appreciate any feedback or advice.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi @Heavysyde. Firstly, big fan of the show. Fun fact, it's actually set in my home town. I think your cuts sound solid and I'm looking forward to checking this edit out at some point. Re: Colour work. Simply raising the saturation can lead to unintended consequences for example in the last comparison the skin tone of the standing man looking very flushed. Some suggestions to try:

1. Raise the gamma level to 1.1. This will lighten the whole image without washing it out. It has a tendancy to reveal more details in the shadows. For Die Hard 5 I had to go as high as 1.3 but less is definitely usually more.
2. Adjusting the RGB curve a touch can increase the brightness/intensity of colours across the board. If one colour becomes too prominent you can adjust it with the individual R, G and B curves.
3. Lifting any curve will lighten the picture so you can always reduce the luminance curve to balance it out.
4. Lastly you can tweak the hue and saturation of individual colours so if your reds are becoming too garish you can adjust their saturation, hue and luminance

Hopefully that helps. I'm no expert by any means but I have been doing a lot more colour work recently and these are my go to steps. Whether they are the generally approved approach is a different matter entirely.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have been working on a v2 of this edit. A few minor changes have been made, mainly minor audio & video cuts. Have started rescoring. I am also considering recolouring the edit, as the series has a quite dark and bland/washed out look. Here are a few screenshots with some saturation applied. I don't have much experience with re-colouring so I'd appreciate any feedback or advice.
Monochrome like the The Lighthouse would be cool...or how about a sepia options. Reminds me of my great grandparents old photos of this time period.
black-and-white-thomas-shelby-peaky-blinders-Favim.com-7744969.jpg

91dca70b62d5e2a093ec8c620b2c3fb1.jpg

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi @Heavysyde. Firstly, big fan of the show. Fun fact, it's actually set in my home town. I think your cuts sound solid and I'm looking forward to checking this edit out at some point. Re: Colour work. Simply raising the saturation can lead to unintended consequences for example in the last comparison the skin tone of the standing man looking very flushed. Some suggestions to try:

1. Raise the gamma level to 1.1. This will lighten the whole image without washing it out. It has a tendancy to reveal more details in the shadows. For Die Hard 5 I had to go as high as 1.3 but less is definitely usually more.
2. Adjusting the RGB curve a touch can increase the brightness/intensity of colours across the board. If one colour becomes too prominent you can adjust it with the individual R, G and B curves.
3. Lifting any curve will lighten the picture so you can always reduce the luminance curve to balance it out.
4. Lastly you can tweak the hue and saturation of individual colours so if your reds are becoming too garish you can adjust their saturation, hue and luminance

Hopefully that helps. I'm no expert by any means but I have been doing a lot more colour work recently and these are my go to steps. Whether they are the generally approved approach is a different matter entirely.
Thanks for the detailed advice, I'll definitely try implementing this to improve the colours. I did notice that increasing the saturation didn't work as well for some scenes.
Btw, since you're a Brummie, what did you think of the accents? I've seen a lot of debate about it. I thought some of them were alright, but that Polly's actress, Helen McCrory, had a bad accent - she kept slipping into a southern English accent.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the black and white / sepia options could be brilliant. Re: accents they are a fairly mixed bag but to be honest since it's set in The Black Country ( an explanation for non UK residents) the mish mash of voices is pretty appropriate as each region had rather distinct accents. Pol's is definitely a weak one.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rescored & trimmed clip (downloads disabled)

I'm aiming to rescore a good amount of the rock music with more appropriate music. So far I've used a few tracks from Taboo S1, and will use some Gypsy Roma music such as in the clip, since the Shelby's are supposed to be half Gypsy, and the Lees are Roma as well.
Since the BBC only released this with stereo audio, might be a bit tricky to rescore in some places.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
v2 has been complete for a while, just didn't have a chance to render. No big changes, fixed some of the cuts and audio, some rescoring, and I added a clip of
Grace shooting Campbell from S2E1.
Gave the recolouring a try but didn't go through with it as it would've taken a while and I'd rather try different projects for now.

This has now been completed, uploaded, and submitted to the IFDb.

TheTVEditor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you planning on doing the other 4 (and eventually 5) seasons?

Top Bottom