• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

oppo bluray player coming out soon!

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is old news, but i didn't find mention of it on the forum.

oppo is going to release their first bluray player soon. this will, essentially, play everything known to exist in the universe.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

so y'all with 981, 983 and older units get ready to migrate :)

i already got rid of my 981 (AVI playing was getting buggy and someone wanted it for SACD playing only) and am torn now between a PS3 and this new oppo.

so... i'll get a ps3 until it's out :)

Doesn't look like it can do FLAC :(

Otherwise, looks cool. How good is the upconversion on the Oppo joints?

ridiculously good. i.e. the best common folk can afford.

only downside to this bluray player is that it is region locked due to restrictions from the bluray folks (Region 1 DVD, Region A BR), but will play any Region 0 (None) title.

it DOES however support MKV which is a pretty rare and welcome addition.

so compared to the 983 (which is an upgrade from 98x series and HUGE upgrade from 97x series):

What are the differences between this player and the OPPO 983H for DVD playback?
DVD performance of the BDP-83 is the same as or better than the 983H.

Looking just at DVD playback, the BDP-83 does not have these features of the 983H:
* DVD region unlocking
* Component output at 1080p

The BDP-83 adds these features which the 983H does not have:
* 24p output
* 480i over HDMI
* Source Direct
* New controls for Edge Enhancement, Detail Enhancement and Noise Reduction
* Demo Mode

here is the multimedia support excerpt from that FAQ link:

These file types are currently supported:
* avi
* divx
* gif
* jpg
* mkv
* mp3
* mpg
* png
* vob
* wma
<snip>
What are the supported media file containers?
* AVI (Audio Video Interleave)
* DIVX Media Format
* MKV (Matroska)
* MPG (MPEG-1)
* VOB (Video Object)
<snip>
What are the supported media file video codecs?
* AVC (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC)
* DIVX
* MPEG-1
* MPEG-2
* XviD
<snip>
What are the supported media file audio codecs?
* AC3 (Dolby Digital)
* AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
* DTS (Digital Theater System)
* LPCM (Linear pulse code modulation)
* MP2 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer II)
* MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3)
* WMA (Windows Media Audio) (not WMA Pro, Lossless or Voice)
<snip>
so it is pretty f***in awesome for a standalone player, but not as good as - say - a media server.

I guess there will be some fine print on the final spec sheet... If it doesn't support FLAC, it can't be said to support MKV without severe limitations on the codec. MKV can be used as a container for a lot of formats, including several the Oppo will not be supporting. It doesn't really say, but if it does support an MKV file encoded with, say, Theora and FLAC, non-support for standalone FLAC files is just bonkers. So for the folks who like HD MKV files and want to play them on this player: be aware of the codec in the MKV file.

I don't really buy the argument in the FAQ for region-locks. The argument would be all fine and dandy if there were no region-free player available. Not so anymore.

I don't doubt that the Oppo will look brilliant, but I will most certainly not buy it with those tech specs.

what?

mkv is a container that supports almost everything on earth.

mkv support does not guarantee supporting everything on earth, it guarantees supporting the container. i quoted which video and audio formats are supported.

...so... h264+AC3>MKV is supported.

I also dont see a huge benefit to having it play FLAC. It takes all of 2 seconds to uncompress the FLAC files to WAV using the FLAC frontend.

I think its cool that this plays mkv. Too bad about the BD region thing. And it would also be cool if this had a USB port.

I can't help but think that the movie companies have muscled in on the region-locking thing. Probably something along the lines of: "If you don't region lock, we won't licence you anything and WHERE WILL THAT LEAVE YOU?"

yeah. but i must mention that my Oppo DV-981HD was region locked also (to region 1 and region 0) when it came. That may or may not have been overcome by a fancy little code on the remote number pad :p I wonder if the new Oppo wil lhave the same magic bypass? 8)

alot of bluray discs are region O now.

joebshmoe said:
what?

mkv is a container that supports almost everything on earth.

mkv support does not guarantee supporting everything on earth, it guarantees supporting the container. i quoted which video and audio formats are supported.

...so... h264+AC3>MKV is supported.
I was just repeating the fact that MKV is not a codec, but a container. Not saying you said otherwise. MKV Compatibility is nice, but doesn't really tell you much. I would have hoped that more players start supporting FLAC, since hardware support is critical for cutting down on the AC3 domination, and WAV audio on video files only leads to pointlessly big files.

But the reason I won't be getting one is for the region-lock, not the lack of FLAC support. Sorry if that was unclear.

I also dont see a huge benefit to having it play FLAC. It takes all of 2 seconds to uncompress the FLAC files to WAV using the FLAC frontend.
Sure it's fast, but it's a pain in the neck, plus you lose the metadata. A nice side effect of FLAC support would have been support for MKV files with FLAC audio.

In the end, I just want a box which will play anything and everything I throw at it.

Ghostcut said:
In the end, I just want a box which will play anything and everything I throw at it.

If you do...dont bloody DROP it!!!!!!!!!

LOL. sounds like your electronics won't last long...

the oppo bluray player WILL have a disadvantage because of the region lock. it was a HUGE benefit knowing that with PAL support and being region-free that it would play ANY dvd on the planet.

hopefully the early adopters will convince them to "add" it.

Frantic Canadian said:
I've never even heard of this brand before.

Great quality players, able to play any region and PAL/NTSC (converts on the fly to the other system). I got one this past Christmas from some generous friends, and I absolutely love it! Will play any DVD from anywhere. period.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Frantic Canadian said:
I've never even heard of this brand before.

Great quality players, able to play any region and PAL/NTSC (converts on the fly to the other system). I got one this past Christmas from some generous friends, and I absolutely love it! Will play any DVD from anywhere. period.

News to me. Is it a DVD player that you got or a Blu-Ray player? Or do they only make Blu-Ray? I've got a Samsung Blu-Ray player and while it is region locked to 1/0 for DVD's and A/all for Blu-Ray's that's not really a problem for me because my DVD player was made region-free by entering a quick code. It plays both NTSC and PAL, AVI and WMV and it has a USB port on the front. And even if my Blu-Ray player isn't region free for Blu-Ray's that not really an issue because a lot of Blu-Ray discs are region free and Japan, which usually has better editions than North America, is also region A so that's all I really need. Funny thing is though there's a code to make the Australian version of the Blu-Ray player I have, Samsung BDP-1500, region-free but not the North American one, but like I said not really a big deal.

ThrowgnCpr said:
mine is just dvd. not bluray. here is the model: http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/

sounds like your samsung is pretty similar

Actually the Samsung is my Blu-Ray player. My DVD player, which is the one that is now region-free and does all the cool stuff, is a Philips. It also upconverts and can create .mp3's from CD's.

I mention FLAC because when companies don't support open, royalty free standards, it makes me go :-?

It sounds cool though, and I prefer x264+non-transcoded audio in my mkv files. I just have to scratch my head when companies don't include costless codecs in their players/specs. It's too common a practice for me to let that stop me from using a product from said company, necessarily, but like I said I scratch my head.

i'm assuming that they just aren't trying to make this a media center and didn't bother adding support for flac, ogg, etc.

although i agree that would be more badass.

Back
Top Bottom