• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

OpenShot NLE Video Editor for Windows, Linux and Mac Kickstarter

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wipe-left-to-right.png

OpenShot the Linux only video editing system is now coming to Windows and Mac with a shitload of new features and tools.

Have a gander at the Kickstarter here

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/421164014/openshot-video-editor-for-windows-mac-and-linux/posts

Only $25 for the software which is even cheaper than Womble and a lot more powerful.

I have pledged.

Feature list

OpenShot's Features * Support for many video, audio, and image formats (based on FFmpeg)
* Gnome integration (drag and drop support)
* Multiple tracks
* Clip resizing, trimming, snapping, and cutting
* Video transitions with real-time previews
* Compositing, image overlays, watermarks
* Title templates, title creation
* SVG friendly, to create and include titles and credits
* Scrolling motion picture credits
* Solid color clips (including alpha compositing)
* Support for Rotoscoping / Image sequences
* Drag and drop timeline
* Frame stepping, key-mappings: J,K, and L keys
* Video encoding (based on FFmpeg)
* Key Frame animation
* Digital zooming of video clips
* Speed changes on clips (slow motion etc)
* Custom transition lumas and masks
* Re-sizing of clips (frame size)
* Audio mixing and editing
* Presets for key frame animations and layout
* Ken Burns effect (making video by panning over an image)
* Digital video effects, including brightness, gamma, hue, greyscale, chroma key (bluescreen / greenscreen), and over 20 other video effects

Cactus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good initiative. I will look into it.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it isn't as good as Vegas, I'd rather pay the extra $35.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wonder if this re-encodes everything or if it will do what womble does with directstream cutting/editing when possible

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
wonder if this re-encodes everything or if it will do what womble does with directstream cutting/editing when possible

Best aspect of Womble!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Best aspect of Womble!

yes it is. However this program seems interesting. If it works with mpeg2 format well (since vegas is always hit or miss with it), I might find it worth really looking into

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It will probably reencode as it uses FFMPEG. Don't we have any linux users on the board that can give an idea what the software is like at the moment?

/quick google

Apparently it's very good.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From todays update

I am also experimenting with buffering the video preview to disk, and if nothing changes on that section of your video timeline, it will load the cached version, quickly buffer it, and begin playback. This is called smart rendering in some editors (or a very similar system of caching playback).

Looks quite promising, although at this point it's only for video playback, if they can make it work I'm sure they'll implement it for final encoding.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Todays Update
API + Python = Awesome (for programmers)

If you are not a programmer, this section might not make much sense... so sorry about that in advance. Although I mentioned this in the Kickstarter description, I wanted to make sure everyone understands how cool this feature is. If you ever create scripts / hack / program, and wanted to work with video files in some automated way, our new Python API makes this extremely simple. In fact, its so simple that with a few dozen lines of code, you could build your own, simple video editor. Or perhaps you want to add some video editing features to your website... no problem, just write a quick Python script with our API, and invoke it from your website. Already use a Python web framework (such as Django), just include the video editing code right into your website code! Or perhaps you have hundreds (or thousands) of videos lying around, and need to add sub-titles to each one, resize them, transcode them in a different codec, etc... These are the kinds of tasks that our new API will allow you to accomplish! Assuming of course, that you can program a little bit. =)

e2a:

Just spotted a reply to my question about having smart rendering as an option for encoding.

Hi nOmArch,
The basic idea of caching to disk after the image and audio processing is completed for a frame, makes perfect sense to me. However, it not only speeds up previews & playback on your timeline, but it would also speed up the encoding process. I know that some codecs, like MPEG2 might make sense for Smart Encoding... but some would not be possible (at least I can't sort that out in my brain). =) But, the bottom line, there will be lots of caching in the new OpenShot engine, and it will speed up both previews and encoding. I hope that all makes sense. Thanks again for your support!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Todays Update

[h=1]Feature Spotlight: Frame Accuracy[/h]One feature that is critical to a video editor is being able to accurately locate a specific frame of video. Although this seems like common sense, it's actually quite difficult due to modern codecs and encoding. For example, when seeking a video file, the codec will often estimate where in the file to start reading from. This might be a little before the requested frame, or a little after. However, in the new OpenShot engine, we have designed our seek engine to always find the correct frame, and never trust the location after seeking. This is especially critical when you attempt to reverse video, which requires seeking and caching, more seeking and caching, and so on. One wrong frame, and the audio will pop, the video will glitch, and it's very obvious something went wrong. In summary, we find the frames you are looking for!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I'm confused. Is OpenShot functional yet?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
So I'm confused. Is OpenShot functional yet?

nOmArch said:
OpenShot the Linux only video editing system is now coming to Windows and Mac with a shitload of new features and tools.

Yes, the kickstarter is to fund the Window & Mac versions and incorporate some new features.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stretch goals

$25000

• Additional Render Formats and Codecs - When exporting (or rendering) your final video, OpenShot has a list of common devices (PS3, iPhone, etc...) and websites (Vimeo, YouTube, etc...) you can choose, as well as a list of common formats and codecs. This information is not always easy to compile, but I will dramatically expand the list of devices, websites, and formats available, to include tons of mobile phones, tablets, gaming consoles, streaming TV devices, etc... In other words, this will give you more point-and-click presets when rending your video.

$30000

• Improved Cropping Tool - While the current version of OpenShot can crop videos, the cropping interface is not great, and the cropping effect can not be animated efficiently. While our new engine has many awesome keyframeable cropping features, OpenShot needs a new cropping interface (to tap into this new power), with a draggable and resizable selection box, and keyframeable location and size. In other words, cropping a video will be very similar to an image editing application. Draw a box around the part you want, and that's it!

$35000

• Animation Curve Presets - Now that OpenShot can use animation curves for just about every property (to animate values over time), those will need to be set by users. In order to make this easy (and really cool), I will create curve presets, such as bouncing, shaking, sliding, squishing, pulsating, etc... These presets can be applied to any curves, even multiple curves (especially for more complex presets). In other words, you can select a video clip, and then choose an animation preset such as 'Bounce', which will cause the video clip to bounce onto the screen.

$40000

• Video Render Queue - Currently, OpenShot can only render one video at a time, and the user must wait to initiate another render once the first one has completed. This can make rendering a video for multiple targets very difficult and slow. So, I will build a new rendering queue, which allows the user to select multiple targets (or profiles), queues them in the background, and renders them in the background. Much the same way a print queue works.

$50000

• Video Editing Server - This is the craziest stretch goal of them all, but is also one of the coolest. I will build the capability to separate the client (i.e. OpenShot) from the video editing engine (i.e. Video Server running libopenshot), which would allow advanced users to send all video editing tasks to a central server (hopefully a powerful server), and use a very inexpensive client computer to run OpenShot. As a side effect, this would also allow for distributed video editing (although pretty basic), since more than 1 user could edit a project at the same time. In simple terms, imagine a web front-end for OpenShot, that is loading the video editing timeline from a web-server. Yeah, it's like that!

Top Bottom