• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Opening credits removal

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey all! Hope you're doing well!
I've got a pretty simple problem here, I need to remove (and eventually replace) opening credits from all of the scenes in LOST.
I think this will be relativly simple in the word of credit removal, but I'm just not familier with the tech options for accomplishing this!

Here is an example of the credits relativer size and font.
Sometimes it's just one name, sometimes it's three lines.
Just curious what people have done before, I'd like to avoid ugly crops if possible.
Thanks all!!!

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The more I think about it I think crops are just unavoidable. Barf.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Removing credits isn't easy. AE might be able to do it, or you could go frame by frame in Photoshop and do it manually.

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah I just did a frame in Photoshop, I can get so close with a color correction but not all the way there. I think I'm just going to have to accept the crops. and do my best to crop them in a way that doesn't kill the shot.

Edit: Holy shit it's Q2. You're a legend!! I've enjoyed many of your works, and will be diving into all your Twin Peaks work soon!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could potentially mask them if the backgrounds aren't moving and the lighting remains consistent. If the credits fade in and out you can grab an image before or after they appear and place that cropped down image over the text. I first did this to replace the title in my Drive edit, it will be dependent on how mobile the image is but it might help avoid some crops.

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could potentially mask them if the backgrounds aren't moving and the lighting remains consistent. If the credits fade in and out you can grab an image before or after they appear and place that cropped down image over the text. I first did this to replace the title in my Drive edit, it will be dependent on how mobile the image is but it might help avoid some crops.
Great method! I tried this also on a sample one earlier and it was mixed results. VERY close to what I needed and I think in cases where I will be replacing the credits that may work better. I'll keep experimenting as I proceed!!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually I just had a thought. Rather than paint out the titles. Could you cut them out and then place a mask (as detailed above) behind them so the mask only exists for each letter? That might mitigate a lot of the issues.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ideally i would like to see your edit in 1080p but if you are going to start cropping, it maybe best to release the final version in 720p for consistency....saying that there are A.I tools out there that maybe able to enhance the picture quality of the 720p frame to match the 1080p. I know some of the other editors have used it. but i cant for the love of me think of the the name of the software this morning.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Topaz Video Enhance AI?

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was casually toying with the notion of attempting to up convert the entire series to 4k, lol if Disney/ABC aren't going to. Seems like I should? Is such a thing feasible?

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks like Topaz will do that for you but it may cost you a few quid..$299 for the software and you'll need an all singing and dancing computer rig

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I'm due for a video card upgrade I'm still rocking a 1070 at the moment. It gets me by just fine but I do start to hit the wall with 4k stuff.
I'm not against investing more! lol. I'm gonna have to work my ass off real quick!

Quick question does that Video Enchance AI come with the functions of the rest of those AI? The denoiser and so on?

I'm gonna try some test footage in the Topaz demos and check out the results! This is so exciting. I do believe that Lost will have great results as it was (nearly?) all shot on film

Last edited:

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just wondering if anyone has a rough guide on using Topaz or 4K conversion in general, perhaps there are some previous threads I'm missing!
Thanks!!!

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are a few videos on Youtube

I think the Video Enhance is $299.00 but you can get bundle deals for the other tools.

I think you may need more than a decent video card..you'll need at least 16GB of Ram to wotk in 4K plus maybe an I7 Core processor for good render times. I started editing in 4k and i can use a proxy file but rendering wants to make my computer cobust..im currently saving for a new rig.

Soundwave815

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My video card is the worst bit for sure I've got the i7 and ram covered, but I think I will just try and get a new rig soon.
If I'm gonna do this I'm gonna do it right damnit. haha

Top Bottom