• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: The Red Apple Cut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Straight out of the gate, I want to say that this will replace my store-bought version as the go-to copy of OUaTiH. The additional scenes add depth, character, immersion, and more of the same: actors really good at spinning Tarantino's too cool to be real lines into palatable, enjoyable content. I highly recommend it. So, this review from here on out is going to be nothing but griping that really doesn't detract at all from my point: this version is great. Most of the additional scenes are extensions and seamlessly integrate, with two notable exceptions: all of the Red Apple commercial takes are now part of the prologue. I guess there was nowhere else to put them, and they bookend the film well. I like them, I don't mind that they're kind of detached and not really part of the narrative. Is there a way to make them part? Maybe? Crop them? Add television filters? Make it seem as if a channel is being switched between clips? I don't know if any of that is necessary. The second notable exception is during Dalton's western shoot. There's some new footage (the cinematic version of the western set, v.s. the flimsy, Hollywood backdrop) where suddenly a character that had been walking right, is coming in from the opposite side of the screen, and it's a jarring reversal. We're now in the film v.s. watching the film being made, and I think a camera tricky transition, some kind of footage cut, or cigarette burn, would probably sell this just fine since Tarantino uses that kinda stuff plenty here. But since there's nothing, it's just a cut that doesn't work quite well. I'd timestamp it, but honestly I'm nitpicking. It wasn't that big of a deal. And, honestly, the movie could do with an intermission sequence now, ala It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Layer in some radio city audio or...just don't do any of that all. Why am I making suggestions for a version 2? Sorry. Anyway, I really dug it. It adds texture, it's really well put together. Thank you very much.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom